Search & Rescue

Reaction score
I offered my services to the jones county sheriffs today and they were very happy about the whole idea. We are going to get together next week for a demonstration. They told me they wish I had been around a few days ago. There was a 5 year old girl lost in some woods and wished I could have helped. They found her.... :)

Now, if you can just drop $7k+ on a FLIR camera, you'll REALLY be valuable to them lol.

I'm looking in to doing the same thing locally, if only on an informal "hey if you need a hand give me a call" basis. Already testing some SAR-related (or at least S-related) payloads on my Phantom and 550 both.

A friend of mine who is an EMT in Germany has also been bitten by the drone bug, and is working to have a few adopted as official tools in her dept.

wildcatter said:
I offered my services to the jones county sheriffs today and they were very happy about the whole idea. We are going to get together next week for a demonstration. They told me they wish I had been around a few days ago. There was a 5 year old girl lost in some woods and wished I could have helped. They found her.... :)

I was thinking same thing ....... But only problem I thought with this was that held me back, .... weather usually plays a large part in most S&R events ... so could give issues with being able to actually fly when needed or requested !!???? ... cops could end up looking for lost person in the forest wilderness @ same time you're trying to recover lost "blown away" search drone ..... think is why in SAR people use larger heavier UAV's with better flight controllers that can handle harsher winds etc ... but all the best and safe searching :)

Did also think apart for SAR jobs ... I could help police identify certain out of place crops in the wilderness :twisted: LOL

It's a really worthwhile idea (and will help to offset the negative sentiment for "drones" there appears to be in the US in particular). The only thing I'd suggest (if you haven't got it already) is get some liability insurance just in case. You may be flying in proximity to quite a few people in these scenarios and if something did go wrong...

I think you'd want at least 1-2 km range to be effective for S&R

Sledge said:
I think you'd want at least 1-2 km range to be effective for S&R

Absolutely, the longer range you have the more potential usefulness there is, but if the terrain is prohibitive to efficient foot searching, even just sweeping a few acres by air can be all that's needed in some cases. You make an important point though, and I am also looking at some longer range Tx/Rx options as part of all this. FPV equipment range also comes in to play since most of the potential benefit comes from being able to provide a birds eye view in real-time.

I think this is a great idea and have thought of doing the same. But we need to keep in mind of the upcoming regulations from the FAA. Looks like we would be required to acquire a COA (Certificate of Authorization) in order to assist our services. By doing so it put us in to the Public Unmanned Aircraft System category. Then it goes in to Special Rule for Model Aircraft. This is only my opinion from what I have read. Here is a copy of what I read.

SEC. 334. PUBLIC UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS.
(a) GUIDANCE.—Not later than 270 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation shall issue guidance regarding the operation of public unmanned aircraft systems to—
(1) expedite the issuance of a certificate of authorization process;
(2) provide for a collaborative process with public agencies to allow for an incremental expansion of access to the national airspace system as technology matures and the necessary safety analysis and data become available, and until standards are completed and technology issues are resolved;
(3) facilitate the capability of public agencies to develop and use test ranges, subject to operating restrictions required by the Federal Aviation Administration, to test and operate unmanned aircraft systems; and
(4) provide guidance on a public entity’s responsibility when operating an unmanned aircraft without a civil air-worthiness certificate issued by the Administration.
(b) STANDARDS FOR OPERATION AND CERTIFICATION.—Not later than December 31, 2015, the Administrator shall develop and implement operational and certification requirements for the operation of public unmanned aircraft systems in the national airspace system.
(c) AGREEMENTS WITH GOVERNMENT AGENCIES.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall enter into agreements with appropriate government agencies to simplify the process for issuing certificates of waiver or authorization with respect to applications seeking authorization to operate public unmanned aircraft systems in the national airspace system.
(2) CONTENTS.—The agreements shall—
(A) with respect to an application described in paragraph (1)—
(i) provide for an expedited review of the application;
(ii) require a decision by the Administrator on approval or disapproval within 60 business days of the date of submission of the application; and
(iii) allow for an expedited appeal if the application is disapproved;
(B) allow for a one-time approval of similar operations carried out during a fixed period of time; and
(C) allow a government public safety agency to operate unmanned aircraft weighing 4.4 pounds or less, if operated—
(i) within the line of sight of the operator;
(ii) less than 400 feet above the ground;
(iii) during daylight conditions;
(iv) within Class G airspace; and
(v) outside of 5 statute miles from any airport, heliport, seaplane base, spaceport, or other location with aviation activities.

SEC. 335. SAFETY STUDIES.
The Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall carry out all safety studies necessary to support the integration of unmanned aircraft systems into the national airspace system.

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).
(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system.
(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

Yes imagine the press/media if some random drone operator helped out and saved some young kids out lost in the wilderness, with full HD video of the experience ... would be very plus plus plus for the community of flyers ..... :) ... hope all goes well Wildcatter

Insight Aerials said:
I think this is a great idea and have thought of doing the same. But we need to keep in mind of the upcoming regulations from the FAA. Looks like we would be required to acquire a COA (Certificate of Authorization) in order to assist our services.

Very true, and I'm hoping to establish some relationships that will helpful with that when the time comes.

Thanks guys, this will be a big help for all of us. So get out there and volunteer. The sheriff almost laughed when I told him the faa would arrest me. Told me we would clear that up this week.

OI Photography said:
Insight Aerials said:
I think this is a great idea and have thought of doing the same. But we need to keep in mind of the upcoming regulations from the FAA. Looks like we would be required to acquire a COA (Certificate of Authorization) in order to assist our services.

Very true, and I'm hoping to establish some relationships that will helpful with that when the time comes.

I think a good step to take would be to build a relationship with your local airport/air traffic controller now. Come up with a mutual agreement for when you want to fly within their air zone and when the regulations come down you'll have a good foot in the door. If you live in a metropolitan area, think about where all your local airports are. Now draw a 5 mile radius around each one. That will leave you a limited space to fly where you will not be required to check in with the air traffic controller.

Insight Aerials said:
I think a good step to take would be to build a relationship with your local airport/air traffic controller now.

Good plan. Where I'm at, I also have to factor in the huge Army airbase that's just over 5 miles north of my house. I often have flights of Apache's, Blackhawks, Littlebirds, and Chinooks fly over with very little warning, and well below 400ft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers