Search an Rescue GPS failed for RTH what happened?

Reaction score
Yesterday I took the p3p out for a flight over the neighborhood. During the initial startup ATTI kept toggling off an on very close to where I was at within 200ft or so. Once that settled down and GPS kicked in properly I flew out 1500ft when the video dropped for a second, I press the RTH button and it started to come back. After about 4-5 minutes I realized something was going on and panicked a bit.

Moving to higher ground holding the remote in the air I managed to get a brief signal a few times and update on the map GPS to see that the quad was having issues coming back. So with the last location marked on the map I took off in my suv to find it hoping to reconnect with it and land it safely. A few times the signal came in for a brief second but nothing solid. Finally about 20 feet away from the spot on the map I got a video feed of some grass. I flipped the camera up right and seen a garage in view. It had landed safely at 5% battery. Only being a street away I quickly retrieved the quad 3 minutes after it had landed.

So with that all said, what happened? The video I have shows the quad coming home and stopping at one point only to head in another direction. Here is a few pictures from Healthy Drones. Any input would be appreciated.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

fail1_zps8z84tee0.png

GPS was Good to Excellent the whole flight so why did the RTH feature fail?

fail2_zpscudfucug.png

At E is when I hit RTH signal dropped out hard.

Fail3_zpsque53s90.png

It attempted to RTH a few times but once it hit that point it changed direction. All in all I will be flying in a more open area. This test flight was to push the boundaries and see how far I could go. What is most confusing is the GPS was working fine and from what I was told RTH is based off of this.

Last edited:
I dont know about others but the images dont open for me. Posting the HD link may be better.

RtH needs a reliable compass reading as well as GPS to determine heading..

The pictures are embedded into the post. Just images nothing more, no links, nothing special needed to do to see them. You can see them correct? Also just checked Healthy Drones and it says the compass during that flight.

Max compass turn rate per 0.1 seconds

No issues were found. Yay!

Still baffled why this happened.

We need to see the data, pictures are only about 10% of the information. There is a share link on the top right while your signed on to H.D.

It could be that it started to rth and when the signal was intermittent, if you hit rth button again, it cancelled return to home.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just recalibrated the IMU not sure if it will help but ever since i updated my firmware I had gyroscope bias value too large. First time calibrating it. But still don't explain to me why it couldn't RTH with GPS green/yellow 500ft. I admit it was windy that day , 20-25 mph winds. The video is strange because it clearly shows the quad returning to home then it stops mid air hovers a few seconds and begins going backwards.

You said yourself that it landed with 5% battery left, and that it had tried to RTH earlier, but you either flipped it on or flipped it off. Maybe it was trying to do what it was supposed to, despite your best efforts, and finally had to land due to critical battery.

The person on the ground controls the drone, unless some anomaly comes along that screws it up. It's between technology making a mistake, or a human making one. It may not always be the drones fault I guess is what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMap
You said yourself that it landed with 5% battery left, and that it had tried to RTH earlier, but you either flipped it on or flipped it off. Maybe it was trying to do what it was supposed to, despite your best efforts, and finally had to land due to critical battery.

The person on the ground controls the drone, unless some anomaly comes along that screws it up. It's between technology making a mistake, or a human making one. It may not always be the drones fault I guess is what I'm saying.

I agree it could very well have been my fault. The logs do show the RTH turning on numerous times.

So you cancel a RTH with the RTH button, Wow I don't have a Pro, We all learn something,

So you cancel a RTH with the RTH button, Wow I don't have a Pro, We all learn something,

You can hold the button in to cancel it or soft button on the dji go app. I should have used the app instead. While RTH is active there is a beeping noise an honestly I was in such a hurry to jump in my SUV to hunt it down I don't remember if the beeping was on or off.

You can hold the button in to cancel it or soft button on the dji go app. I should have used the app instead. While RTH is active there is a beeping noise an honestly I was in such a hurry to jump in my SUV to hunt it down I don't remember if the beeping was on or off.
Yep, Been There.
;)

I agree it could very well have been my fault. The logs do show the RTH turning on numerous times.
I hate to think about it, but it could have been the drone. It would be easier to blame it on us, the humans, but if it was the drone, that's just one more drop in the bucket that holds the unexplained fly away, drop out of the sky, props unscrewed stuff, which makes me a little uneasy. Hope ya find out what exactly it was.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31