Seagull attack

Was happily flying my P4 over Newport Beach harbor until it was suddenly assaulted by 3 seagulls. I was ducking and diving the drone while these rats with wings were attacking it. Never seen anything like it. Sadly the birds won and splashed my drone into the harbor.

Should I even bother to try and retrieve it. I have DJI Care coverage but I think it's null and void of water damaged and unrecoverable.

Does anyone have any guidance on whether my DJI Care will cover this accident?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm in Newport Beach too. Probably the same gulls that go for my P3 every time I take it out. One day they even followed me back to the house after I landed. Perched on my neighbors roof. Just for fun I would pick up the phantom and walk outside with it and they would go off. I think I am marked.

Reactions: yorlik
Lot's of people are having troubles with seagulls. Specially if near their breeding areas.
There are some theories on colors... some paint their drones red or orange and they have some success...

I rather have the birds used to my phantom...
Look. Several species of seagulls and neither of them attaked me.

This is very interesting. I fly at a park where after about 15-20 minutes of flight, two very large hawks make there way into my flight path and kind of let me know that they are not happy with me being there. I don't want any issues with these large birds as I have seen video's where an Eagle has taken a drone to it's nest after grabbing it out of the air. So, I descend and fly low.

But, I have always wanted a decal on my drone, so I went to decalgirl.com to get one. I chose a picture from my own files of a sunset which was basically orange and brown tones in the sunset picture. I had no reason to do this for the birds, I just wanted to decorate my drone. I got the decal, applied it to the drone and went out to see if it would hold to the drone given the wind, sun, etc possibly effecting the decal. No problems there. But, I also noticed that when with orange and brown colors, the hawks did come out again. I brought down my drone to about 50 feet. I just hovered. One of the hawks came close about 25 feet roughly and continued on it's path. Since that time, it seems they have accepted my drone. They no longer come around and threaten me. So, it seems the color issue may have something to do with it. See attached photo.

View attachment 59351

Attachments

• DecalGirlDrone-n-Image.jpg
    DecalGirlDrone-n-Image.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 440
I was just reading a DJI Facebook post were the person said the visual system puts out a frequency that some birds hate. Has anyone tried turning this off while flying around birds?

I would complain to DJI that if I were allowed to go above 400' as allowed under US law, I could have avoided the incident and that makes it their fault.

Sorry, but that's the truth and that's EXACTLY what I will do if an extended climb in clear skies would have ever saved my quad from a bird attack. We'll let the lawyers fight it out from there.

I was just reading a DJI Facebook post were the person said the visual system puts out a frequency that some birds hate. Has anyone tried turning this off while flying around birds?

I never thought or heard of that turning off the Vision Positioning System would help. However, now that I have the decal on my bird, they don't seem to bother. However, just recently I was out in a woodsy area and as soon as I got my bird in the air up about 80 feet, about 35-45 ravens or crows came out of nowhere. They made one pass by my bird and went back to their homes, nests, or whatever after that. I continued to fly my bird and they didn't bother. So, this is my second incident since my orange brown colored decal where birds will be suspicious but don't bother my bird.

So, to test your theory properly, I would have to remove my decal which interestingly seems to work. Thanks for the thought and idea however. I hope someone can try it.

Was happily flying my P4 over Newport Beach harbor until it was suddenly assaulted by 3 seagulls. I was ducking and diving the drone while these rats with wings were attacking it. Never seen anything like it. Sadly the birds won and splashed my drone into the harbor.

Should I even bother to try and retrieve it. I have DJI Care coverage but I think it's null and void of water damaged and unrecoverable.

Yes, seagulls and pelicans are very protective around their nesting ground. I had the same experience, so what I did was fly above them, at least 300 ft and at that distance they are highly unlikely to attack.

Reactions: iAm
I flew recently again... went away a couple of Km. I was coming back in sport mode, enjoying the view through the iPad, and when I looked up, as the P4 was approaching my position... I was shocked. I had approximately 20 seagulls following the drone, just a few meters away.

When I managed to descend, going back and forth to avoid them, I noticed that the little ( Expletive Removed ) had pooped over the drone !

Reactions: NRJ
I flew recently again... went away a couple of Km. I was coming back in sport mode, enjoying the view through the iPad, and when I looked up, as the P4 was approaching my position... I was shocked. I had approximately 20 seagulls following the drone, just a few meters away.

When I managed to descend, going back and forth to avoid them, I noticed that the little ( Expletive removed ) had pooped over the drone !

That's a bunch of crap. Literally. Laughing...

I live on the coast, so this is a regular problem for me. Mostly it's about the time of year, they are very aggressive at nesting time but generally passive and curious the rest of the year. They even attack 'people' here sometimes when they're in protective mode.

Some good advice in this thread, I would only add that, much as the gulls can't fly vertically, they cannot fly backwards either. If being chased in one direction at a higher or lower elevation than the birds, another option is to slam it into reverse, engage warp drive and get the heck out of dodge.

Sorry for your loss :(

When I managed to descend, going back and forth to avoid them, I noticed that the little ( Expletive Removed ) had pooped over the drone !
So what you're saying is that your drone was the "leader of the poop pack?"

Reactions: Ovt
On the bright side I guess it's better to have a $hitty craft than no craft at all. You should thank the bird for not engaging with the props. Smart bird, and good aim! Hah! :p

Just hope it's the last time I clean it, hehe

I would try to retrieve it, if it's easy enough. Put it on ebay with water damage description and you still will get some money you could use to buy your next one.

And again... Approximately 10 seconds in the air and the beasts woke up !

vlcsnap_2016_07_14_21h22m58s392.png

I often get bothered by seagulls, I just ignore them, and carry on with my task. Seagulls generally don't attack, they just make a lot of noise and dive bomb the drone in attempt to scare it off (They think it's a bird.) you're more likely to connect with one when you try to avoid them.

The best course of action is, stay calm and asses the situation. If you feel uncomfortable go up and fast, if you want to get out the sky, keep the drone moving as you descend towards your landing area, move as if someone is point a gun at you from a distance, go left, right, spin all over the shop!

It can be very unnerving when the seagulls turn up, you can actually start to understand their nature & predict then when you don't panic.

Generally there's a spotter, that one starts squawking to alert the pack and they turn up.

I must of had 20 gulls dive bombing me this morning and I just carried on as if they weren't there, they soon leave you alone!

Magpies on the other hand! They will attack! You see one, get down asap, rev the drone at them so they get a gust of wind to show them who's boss then get back as soon as you can, they'll even come to your landing area for a fight!

Safe flying!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4