Sea Shepherd Needs Drone Operators

Reaction score
In January I started working as a volunteer drone operator on the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's ship the Farley Mowat in the Sea of Cortez. Sea Shepherd has a second ship, the Sam Simon, working in the same area on the same campaign. As a drone operator, my duties are to fly drones to investigate illegal fishing activities, film ship activities and wildlife. I use a Phantom 3 Pro, a Phantom 4 or a Matrice 100, provided by Sea Shepherd. All drone flights originate from the ship, meaning you take off and land on the ship, even if it is moving. Secondary duties involve deck activities, maintaining the ship and hauling in illegal nets. Very satisfying work.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The campaign is focused on eliminating illegal gill nets that kill the endangered totoaba (a sea bass) and the critically endangered vaquita, a harbor porpoise endemic to the northern Sea of Cortez. Both ships are working with the Mexican navy to eliminate the use of gill nets to prevent the extinction of the vaquita.

Sea Shepherd is seeking *experienced* drone operators for this campaign, called Operation Milagro Operation Milagro III - Home. This is a purely volunteer position. You are provided 3 abundant and healthy meals a day and snacks plus a birth on the ship in return for your drone operation skills and deck crew duties as needed.

This is a unique opportunity to hone your drone flying skills and build your resume. This position is not for the timid and you must have proven experience flying DJI drones, specifically the Phantom 3, Phantom 4 and the Matrice 100. For the Matrice 100 we have a FLIR camera because catching illegal poachers often happens at night, meaning night flights from a dark deck.

I've been a member of Phantom Pilots for a while now and suspect there may be some of you who are looking for skill-building environmental opportunities. Here's the link to apply: Sea Shepherd Conservation Society - Crewing at Sea | Get Involved

Reactions: MedicFL1
Interested but heard state side Operations were halted by court order. How does one go about volunteering from the states?

Give us more details on the skills needed. Many have been flying drones for years, but may not have flown from the moving ship.

Who is responsible for the loss of drone? Who provides the maintenance?

Is night flying experience a must?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Seamanship background requirements and the like are basic. See the Australia site for qualifications , time of service and cost.

I would personally never donate my time to these pirates until they realize that they also must operate within the law. Good on you for volunteering your time though, sounds like great experience!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

A very worthy cause. Good job!

I would personally never donate my time to these pirates until they realize that they also must operate within the law. Good on you for volunteering your time though, sounds like great experience!

They are operating within the law and are working directly with the Mexican government.

Give us more details on the skills needed. Many have been flying drones for years, but may not have flown from the moving ship.
Who is responsible for the loss of drone? Who provides the maintenance?
Is night flying experience a must?
Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Sea Shepherd is responsible for the loss of a drone, though that's why they prefer someone with experience over a newby. The drone operator is responsible for maintaining the drones, though SS covers costs for parts and repairs. Night flying experience is not a must, but you'd have to learn do do so on the ship and be comfortable in tense situations. I had never flown from a ship and learned on the job. You have to be confident with your skills.

Do you stay on the ship for extended periods or do you pretty much sleep ashore most nights?

Do you stay on the ship for extended periods or do you pretty much sleep ashore most nights?

If you are aboard the Farley Mowat you generally stay out for a few days at a time then come in to dock. Pretty nice. The Sam Simon stays out 24/7 because of it's size and most of the crew rarely come to shore. The Farley is smaller but the better ship to be on IMO.

They are operating within the law and are working directly with the Mexican government.

There are several outstanding warrants out for several crew members. The MV Farley Mowat was seized by the Canadian government and the captain and first mate(if I remember correctly) were both charged. Several other countries are quite interested in having several people connected with Sea Shephard in their own courtrooms as well. This doesn't happen by following the rules. I am with them 100% when it comes to their intent, just NOT their methods.

There are several outstanding warrants out for several crew members. The MV Farley Mowat was seized by the Canadian government and the captain and first mate(if I remember correctly) were both charged. Several other countries are quite interested in having several people connected with Sea Shephard in their own courtrooms as well. This doesn't happen by following the rules. I am with them 100% when it comes to their intent, just NOT their methods. Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Seamanship background requirements and the like are basic. See the Australia site for qualifications , time of service and cost.

This *is not* required, though it helps. They will train you on deck operations. Skills like SCUBA and EMT are very helpful.

If you have a lot of flying behind you, you will pick up night flying and flying from the ship. We have safety protocols in place for launching and landing the Phantoms and Matrice that any experienced Phantom pilot would appreciate.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic