Sea Mist Effect on P3P

Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone knows what effect sea mist has on in it with a P3P? Is the salt bad on the electronics or motors?

Reactions: stoneyb245
Yes. Any moisture is not good for the electronics.

That sure is vague. How much moisture is to much? Should I never fly in sea mist? Can make a flight? Is there something I should do when I return to base? In a sense then, I should not fly at the beach on a windy day... and a lot of days have sea mist.

It certainly can't make things better.

That sure is vague.
Fair enough. To be more specific, don't fly your Phantom in any conditions that can cause moisture to get inside of it (especially salt water).

I should not fly at the beach on a windy day
Don't fly... or fly high enough so sand and sea mist is not entering your Phantom and/or motors.

That sure is vague. How much moisture is to much? Should I never fly in sea mist? Can make a flight? Is there something I should do when I return to base? In a sense then, I should not fly at the beach on a windy day... and a lot of days have sea mist.
There is really no way to know until failure. How good were the connections soldered? Exact which parts did the spray get into. A multitude of factors. Personally, if I wanted to get a shot it would not stop me once but I would not make a habit of doing it.

Thanks for the reply's. It is what I expected but was hoping for something different.

Cost versus reward, how bad do you want it.

Just get the Phantom 3 Sea Mist Speed Dryer from Amazon :p
edf61de2b8d6b08b6f25ff8fa4e7ad79.jpg

Even if you dry it out with rice, the corrosive nature of salt spray WILL leave a salt layer on the components which will inevitably and someday cause a catastrophic failure.

Fly a little higher or maybe consider one of these:
Best Waterproof Drones In The Market

I flew mine on oregon coast over the water. Nothing bad yet.

I'd be far more concerned with an inspire than a phantom. Easier to swollow $1k than $4k!!!

Enjoy your bird. You bought it to enjoy it. Defeats the purpose of stress release!!!!

Reactions: CCDD
Thanks for the info from all. Sorry Meta 4 I should have said "HOW BAD is salt mist (not spray) on the electronics and motors". Seems like most others got it.

Yes, it is going to depend on how heavy the mist is and how much I fly in it. I would plan on using some common sense and not fly in med/heavy mist. I would not be flying in it a lot. Maybe a 2-3 minute flight out, drop bait, and back, 3-5 times a day for maybe 20-40 days escaping MN winter. I could fly high out but need to drop down to release bait and then could fly back high.

I totally understand that there is no answer to this. It is like fordruid said "there is no way to know until failure" and "how bad do you want it" and "how bad do you want it" is exactly what I am trying to figure out. Make these flights, and it crashes in 3 mths as compared to it lasting another 2-3 years is a big difference and one that I am trying to find the answer to.

What I am looking for is others (like BVC) who have been flying in sea mist. I would think that there are a lot of P3 pilots who live by the ocean and have some-time proven experience. What has been their experience? How much mist do they fly in, how often, what effects have they had, etc? What do they do when they get back (I like the Phantom 3 Sea Mist Speed Dryer from Amazon... but unfortunately could not find it, so maybe I will wipe it down and use a blow dryer).

Googling sea mist effects on electronics I find things like:

The problems of salt if you live by the ocean is like earthquakes in California, much exaggerated and worth the risk.

I live right next to the sea, and have for.. 20 years and well, other than copper, we haven't that many problems(well we have had fungus issues, and dust issues, and users applying too much force but never corrosion related failures of electronics)

I have lived by the ocean all my life. I have never had a Sony electronic product fail.

I have talked to neighbors, and most Japanese electronics seem to last the 2 years before they are obsolete and need to be upgraded.

If you won't see any direct salt spray, you shoudn't have any problems with typical electronics gear. I'd rate it as 'not a problem'

On the bridge of our cutter we've got a few COTS (commercial off the shelf) computers that are doing okay after 2-3 years onboard. This includes a micron laptop and a desktop PC.

So if there are others that have real experience flying by the ocean and sea mist, I would sure be interested in your experience.

Thanks,
Ronbo

Reactions: Reed L
I understand the answer you're looking for. Sadly I think only folk who live on the coast would be able to give guidance on how long their drones lasted..

I know there are vents on the side of the phantom but just how much air or even mist makes it through the vents to begin with given the intense down force of air by the props?

In your case depending how often you fly I'd say open your bird up every month, two or quarter and just give the insides a good look over. Defects from sea mist will stand out for sure..

Maybe a better option is picking up a cheap p2 and use that to drop bait?? Save the p3 for more memorable moments?

Thanks for the info from all. Sorry Meta 4 I should have said "HOW BAD is salt mist (not spray) on the electronics and motors". Seems like most others got it.

So if there are others that have real experience flying by the ocean and sea mist, I would sure be interested in your experience.
I was speaking from actual experience.. I have a P2 that no-one would buy for parts because of the corrosion caused by a couple of flights in these conditions.
DJI00312a-X2.jpg

It will all depend on exposure.
If you only get a little and for a short time you might not get much.
But you can't tell how much damage you've done until it's too late.
Salt spray, mist or whatever you want to call it is death to electronics.
And unlike a computer on a boat, the Phantom has fans and vents that ensure the salt laden air is distributed throughout.

I don't know where you are coming from! First of all, part of the last part of the your response, is what I and most others understand. Secondly, there is a big, big difference between salt mist and salt spray... and o'ya a computer on a boat is exposed 24/7 and the last I checked my computers have quite a few power fans blowing air through then, to cool them.

As for you pic, 1. that is not even close to what I am talking about. First of all what you are seeing is mostly if not all fog. Secondly, at that location, more than likely there is NO sea mist and DA no sea spray.

And two flights in sea mist and you P2 is junk???? Hmmm, I wonder how others fly around the sea shore?? I guess they must be rich and get a few flights and then buy new. Is there something in the P3 manual that I missed that says "DO NOT FLY BY THE OCEAN".

PS - How long did it take to corrode it to junk after a couple of flights?

In your case depending how often you fly I'd say open your bird up every month, two or quarter and just give the insides a good look over. Defects from sea mist will stand out for sure..

I definitely would do this... but from the little bit I know about opening it up, it looks like a quite a process. I need to look more into it if I start flying in such conditions.

Maybe a better option is picking up a cheap p2 and use that to drop bait??

I have looked into this on the MSP craigslist but did not find anything cheap. For the prices I recall I would look at the waterproof drones that Jeff42980 mentioned. That looks like an interesting opition.

As for you pic, 1. that is not even close to what I am talking about. First of all what you are seeing is mostly if not all fog. Secondly, at that location, more than likely there is NO sea mist and DA no sea spray
Sounds like you know all about it soo I won't bother to offer advice.
btw ... there is no fog in that photo
What's there is salty air/spray/mist/whatever in 25-30 knots after a 40 knot blow.

PS - How long did it take to corrode it to junk after a couple of flights?
It didn't corrode to junk but has quite a bit of visible corrosion on lots of the internals

(I like the Phantom 3 Sea Mist Speed Dryer from Amazon... but unfortunately could not find it, so maybe I will wipe it down and use a blow dryer).
Thanks,
Ronbo

Something else would be to put it in a bag with Damp-Rid Amazon.com: damp rid

We use it in our trailer to suck the moisture out of the air, I've never used it for drying a P3 but it should work fine. The damp rid comes in all shapes and sizes, we use the one on a hanger for the closet and kitchen and the pink top box style in the shower. It would be worth trying it, Just put them both in a paper bag or so... Wipe it down first, then bag it with the damp-rid.
The Phantom 3 Sea Mist Speed Dryer... lol, definitely a classic :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik