Sea Gulls Hate my drone...

Reaction score
Right ive had it :x :x

That's twice now ive been minding my own business quite merrily flying around away from and been down right seeked out and attacked by pesky massive sea gulls... Both times very very close calls... Had to really do some evasive stuff the second time... They hate me and my drone...

Well its time for payback...

So i need someone to get on their 3d printing machine and design me a bracket to mount an automatic machine gun... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Pesky Gulls

Lol they have to be the most stupid animal on the planet. This time of year they get very agressive because of their nesting chicks. I know all about them, I install satellite dishes and tv aerials and get attacked 3 or 4 times a week whilst up on chimney stacks on houses. There's not much you can do except find an area away from them for the next month or 2

Live on the coast so i feel your pain...They are just rats with wings.

Probably be a lot less if folk used rubbish bins rather than throw unwanted food on the floor.

Yea tonight was well away from the coast - Thought I would be safe

Was doing some range tests - got out as far as the control signal could go and hit the auto RTH just at that moment to see on screen 2 incoming flying white rats with big grins on them... Thought uhh no... Worst timing ever...

Luckily RTH had took me just far enough back to regain signal so I took back control... Some ducking diving, up and down and a rather fast zig zag flight back... They chased me the whole way... If I had to use the auto RTH i would have been toast...

So now im a well established stunt pilot also... Maybe i should unstrap the 2 dead fish off the bottom of the Phantom... :lol: :lol: :lol: Who needs Flight school when you got gulls... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Your other option which might be costly but great viewing for the rest of us is to call their bluff and play chicken with them, but unfortunately from my eexperiences on roofs being attacked and coming from a fishing town is that these bird brains wont chicken out. But please try it if you want ;)

Hey locini,

Don't take it personally, they don't "hate" you or the quad. They are just doing what most animals do which is; instinctively protecting their territory and offspring. Some birds will just mob or attack something strange in their environment. I know you were being facetious too. ;)

You did the right thing by hightailing it out of there. You don't want to risk a collision with a bird, especially birds as large as gulls. That would have surely ended in your phantom crashing.

Edit: In case anyone hasn't seen this, here's a hawk attacking a RC plane. It's quite common for birds to attack things unfamiliar to them or if they feel they are threatened in some way.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h489G9vmzw[/youtube]

And here is one with a hawk or eagle attacking a RC helicopter:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B16RZVYLVuU[/youtube]

It's just not all that uncommon but, we have to be careful so not to unnecessarily kill our phantoms and a bird. It's a no-win situation IMO.

I'm cursed with Seagulls where I live also, I find the secret it to be aggressive first. As soon as you see one fly towards it at high speed to scare it off, seriously it works, the sky is all mine then after that

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers