SD Card

Reaction score
Hello,

I am brand new here and am trying to get used to the format of everything. Please don't get mad. Just show me the way and I will learn fast.

My big question is the matter in which the sd card and drone communicate.

I just updated my phantom 3 pro to the new 1.8.80 firmware. I was having issues updating with my 64gb sd card so I opened a brand new 32gb card to give that a try. When I tried the update with the 64gb card it did nothing. I was getting nervous and decided to try a new card. Bingo, it work flawlessly and everything and everyone is happy.

My question is if the 32 card gets full, can I just simply insert the new 64gb card and still operate. Or, do I have to install the bin file on the 64 card and then insert?

When I updated the drone with the new firmware on the 32gb card, I only did it with one battery. Should have done it with both?

Take it easy on me, I'm new here.

Thanks

Reactions: LeMonds
you only have to have the bin file on the SD card for the update. Since you are done with the update you can remove the bin file from the 32GB card. you can use the 32GB and 64GB card for recording pictures and videos without worry.

this update did not have a battery update. if there is a battery update, just do the regular update to the quad first, power off the quad, and then repeat the update process. It should be much faster the second time since it is only updating the battery. as before, once the quad and batteries are updated you can (and in my opinion, should) remove the bin file from the memory card you used.

hope this helps

Awesome.

So just so I fully understand. If and when the 32 gb card gets full, I can just seamlessly remove the 32 card, insert the 64 card or any other clean card for that matter and continue flying?

Thank you

If that is the first time you have done a firmware update since you unboxed, then yes, you should do it again with your other battery.

Awesome.

So just so I fully understand. If and when the 32 gb card gets full, I can just seamlessly remove the 32 card, insert the 64 card or any other clean card for that matter and continue flying?

Thank you

yes, just like a digital camera.

If your 64g sd gave you problems trying to update, your aircraft may be having a problem recognizing it. It's really easy to check. Put it in and fire everything up like you were gonna fly. GO will give you an error if it can't read/write to the card.

No, I have done 3 updates since I purchased. This update however, was the only one that gave me a little indigestion.

When I went to insert the 64gb card with the latest firmware, it just beeped at me once and just sat there. The RC updated fine, the drone didn't. After three failed attempts, I opened a new 32gb card, downloaded the firmware, and bingo it worked just fine.

I'm just weird to the fact that bigger is better and I want a 64gb card instead of the 32. I just don't want to mess anything up by re-inserting the 64 once it was wiped clean.

Thank you

As you are a newbie, you may have batteries that are not yet formatted. I suggest you to keep bin file on the sd card, no need to remove it. If it finds a battery without current FW update, it will automatically update.

Please ensure that you use SD card which is Class 10, U1 or better. Keep size limited to 64GB.

Reactions: SteveAikens
I don't ever remember switching batteries when I did the other updates. I have however flown with both batteries.

Everything seems to be operating just fine now so maybe I'll leave well enough alone and wait until a new update is available and at that time update both batteries.

Does it work that way? or do I need to follow a certain procedure?

Thank you

I'd do a boot on each of your batteries with your latest bin file on your sd card with the RC turned off. It certainly can't hurt, and it's generally a good thing to have all your stuff on the same version.

My question is if the 32 card gets full, can I just simply insert the new 64gb card and still operate. Or, do I have to install the bin file on the 64 card and then insert?
Once you have updated, there is no need to keep the bin file ... it's job is done.
What do you mean by if the 32 card gets full?
You can store about 1 hour of 4K video on 32GB or many thousands of photos.
If you are considering leaving that volume of images and video on the card you are flying with, you really should consider copying to your computer a lot more frequently.

Hello,

I am brand new here and am trying to get used to the format of everything. Please don't get mad. Just show me the way and I will learn fast.

My big question is the matter in which the sd card and drone communicate.

I just updated my phantom 3 pro to the new 1.8.80 firmware. I was having issues updating with my 64gb sd card so I opened a brand new 32gb card to give that a try. When I tried the update with the 64gb card it did nothing. I was getting nervous and decided to try a new card. Bingo, it work flawlessly and everything and everyone is happy.

When I updated the drone with the new firmware on the 32gb card, I only did it with one battery. Should have done it with both?

Take it easy on me, I'm new here.

Thanks
I download the firmware on sd card that came with the drone and use my 64gb for saving videos and pics. So if u ever need that firmware u have it already saved.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thank you guys for the great information.

I'm here to absorb as much info as I can.

I'm a concrete/heavy equipment guy by trade but have always been drawn to RC items like this. This drone gives me the opportunity to "be a kid again" and have fun with my kids. As I learn how easy this is to fly compared to other aircraft, I really have opened up am starting to travel to areas that are "drone friendly" and it's been an eye opener.

Thanks again

Reactions: mikesmiley

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl