SD card

Reaction score
When I filled up my SD card I emptied it onto my computer and deleted off the card. When I put it back in it still says SD card full why is this? have a I missed a step?

Do you have a Mac? If so, try emptying your trash bin before ejecting your memory card.

Reactions: hazlar-drones
You should always format the card in the device (in this case, the Phantom) you will be using it in. deleting files doesn't really delete the files.

deleting files doesn't really delete the files
When working on a PC, deleting files from a memory card actually removes them from the memory card. That's what I normally do to clear my memory cards. I rarely format them. For Macs though, you must empty the trash bin in order to actually remove the files from the memory card.

When working on a PC, deleting files from a memory card actually removes them from the memory card. That's what I normally do to clear my memory cards. I rarely format them. For Macs though, you must empty the trash bin in order to actually remove the files from the memory card.

Actually, the files are still there when you delete them ;-) Ask any IT professional.

It is always best to format the card in the device you plan to use it in.

Actually, the files are still there when you delete them ;-) Ask any IT professional.
You're talking about something else. The OP just wants to free up space on the memory card.

Formatting does not permanently remove the files either. They are still there -- you just cannot see them. Only filling up the card with new data will permanently remove the previously deleted files.

Disclaimer: I'm an IT professional ;)

Nope. I'm talking about this. Deleting files while the card is in one device can sometimes confuse the other device.. as we see here. That is why it is best to format the card in the device you are going to be using it in. It's best practice.

Formatting doesn't delete the files either, but it prepares the card to be used in that device.

Deleting files while the card is in one device can sometimes confuse the other device.. as we see here.
What we actually see here is that PCs and Macs operate differently. You don't need to empty the recycle bin on a PC in order to delete files from a memory card. It's a Mac thing. It's just how they work.

What we actually see here is that PCs and Macs operate differently. You don't need to empty the recycle bin on a PC in order to delete files from a memory card. It's a Mac thing. It's just how they work.

You do not need to empty the trash bin on a mac for the files to be deleted off the card.

You do not need to empty the trash bin on a mac for the files to be deleted off the card.
Yes, you really do in order to regain the file space.

Here are the top SD card BEST PRACTICES:

1. Format instead of Erase

Simply erasing, or deleting, images on your memory cards doesn’t fully clear the cards of leftover data.

Instead, it’s better to get in the habit of formatting your cards. Formatting is a more complete way of clearing old files from your card and can reduce the risk of data corruption.

A word of caution, though. Formatting is typically irreversible, so always be sure all of your images are backed up before doing this.

2. Format in Camera
Without getting into the technical details, the general consensus is that you should always format your memory card in your camera and not on your computer.

If you use your computer to format your cards, there’s a chance your camera may not be able to read the file structure properly.

3. Format New Cards Before Using
When you buy a new memory card, it’s always good to reformat in your camera before using it. This ensures the card is ready for that particular camera.

4. Format Cards Before Using In Other Cameras
While you could encounter some issues using the same memory card in different cameras, it’s normally not a problem so long as you format the card in the new camera before using it.

Interesting stuff, but it does not relate to the OP's problem. Let's keep this on topic :)

You're talking about something else. The OP just wants to free up space on the memory card.

Formatting does not permanently remove the files either. They are still there -- you just cannot see them. Only filling up the card with new data will permanently remove the previously deleted files.

Disclaimer: I'm an IT professional ;)
Disclaimer has me in tears LOL!

Reactions: msinger
I'm not trying to argue. I apologize if I came off like that. I'm just attempting to stick to the facts to help the OP.

I'm not trying to argue. I apologize if I came off like that. I'm just attempting to stick to the facts to help the OP.

I know.. it's a good discussion. But the OP would be doing himself a disservice if he simply followed your advice and not mine ;-)

ALWAYS format the card in the device that you will be using it in.... don't use your computer to delete the files, use the format option in the camera.

Each device, whether a computer, camera, tablet etc (and different operating systems) use different methods of formatting and deleting files. Deleting or formatting on one device can potentially cause data corruption on a different device. That is why these best practices are in place. When the SD card is removed from his camera (drone) and inserted into his computer.. he should simply copy the files and let his camera (drone) handle the file structure (formatting/deleting). It will reduce corrupting and confusing his card.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.