Sd card

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have a p3s and I'm just wondering if I put a larger gb sd card in will I only have format it using the app. Or is the firmware stored on the card as well.

Thanks
Craig

Exactly ... the camera will automatically add the folders etc. Most cards as sold will be FAT32 and usable without doing anything. (You may wish to remove any proprietary programs bundled with it - but not essential to do).

The FW file gets added later if and when you update FW on the model. Contrary to some advice - once the FW file is put on the card - leave it there. Then if you buy extra batterys - they will automatically be updated to that latest FW without you having to do anything.
Once FW is on the card - you also have a txt file which details all FW matters and is a good reference to look at if you wonder which FW / what happened etc.

If you do later wish to format the card ... lets say it gets full of rubbish and its easier to just format instead of deciding delete or keep ... then you can use your PC or the model to do it. The model will format to FAT32 ...
If you format on a PC - make sure you use FAT32 ... do not use NTFS or 64bit ...

Some will advise to use EXFAT ... this was developed to allow larger GB cards ... and is a choice if you wish.

A good practical size card is 32Gb in my opinion. The average flight video is about 4Gb and therefore a number of flights can be made that would exceed most peoples sessions ... but up to 64Gb is suitable.

One point I do stress - it is far better to have a Card Reader to USB system for transferring videos from the camera for processing. Using a cable to AC is slow and only uses unnecessary battery life etc. I always move videos from card to PC by reader ... this keeps card space free for next flights, lets me view / process videos at high speed on the PC etc.

Nigel

Reactions: Craig oliver
Great thanks guys and thanks Nigel for spending the time to give such a detailed answer. I always use a card reader and do the same as you and transfer the files to my pc. Only have an 8gb card at the moment and I filled it before I had finished flying the other weekend. So thought it was time to get a bigger gb card.

Thanks again guys
Craig.

Glad to help ...

The FW file is only 103mb average - so doesn't interfere with video etc.

My 8gb stock supplied card failed a while back - but as you see - 8gb is a bit on the minimum size !!

There's actually nothing to stop you using more than one card ... keep one in a holder ready to swap over.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik