SD card write protected P3 4K

Reaction score
Hello all,

As of yesterday I have been getting a SD card write protected message in the DJI GO app. I have since tried multiple micro SD cards and cannot use them because of this error. The Micro sd card is 16gb lexar which came pre-shipped with the phantom 3 4k. I cannot format the microsd card using the DJI go app as it gives me an error.

I have tried:
- Formatting the SD card to FAT32 and Exfat on a mac and a windows pc.
- Formatting the micro sd card in my sony alpha a6000 digital camera.
- using a micro sd card to sd card reader and flipping the switch to various positions and testing it then in my P3 4k.
- Formatting the SD card using a cable connected to the gimball

None of this seems to work. I have read some other threads on this forum about this vague error but there is no fix provided.

Does someone know what the heck is up?

57639-d2d7de25200f3e6ca7d5b33fca13032a.jpg

57640-aae528481a85f5bab90fd09707e4e460.jpg

thanks in advance.

So you can format any card with a PC, ETC. But when you put in the Phantom it says its Locked?
What if don't put a card in the Phantom?
Does it tell you there is no card?

Yes exactly, it tells me that there is no SD card when its removed....

1. Is it like this since the first time you bought it or after some use?
2. Did you use a sd card adaptor when transferring files?
Like the one below:
1470153455761270781716.jpg

Hi Jeganx,

Thanks for the reply!

1.I happened after I had flewn like more than 10 times with the drone, and before that I have had no issues at all.
2. Yes I use one of the SD adapter like you show in the picture (I used the samsung one most of the time, the black one just once for testing purposes)

Any ideas?
WhatsApp Image 2016-08-02 at 18.22.35.jpeg

Yeah, those sd card adapter have an issue of making the micro sd stay in locked position. You see the write protect mechanism is only using the small switch, is actually telling the computer or the software that the card is write protected or not write protected. It doesn't do anything to the electronic in your microsd. Somehow, that information got transfered to your microsd and if your microsd adapter lock switch is loose (because of wear and tear or chinese cheap product), even if you put it in an unlocked position, it could get locked when it got inside the computer. Hence telling the computer/software that your sdcard is locked. Now when you eject it, it probably is back to unlocked position but the information stored in the microsd is telling that the microsd is locked.

I think I solve this last time by putting the microsd back to the adapter (already in locked position), then switch it to unlocked position. Tape/glue the switch at the unlocked position, insert it into the computer and check the properties whether it has become writeable. Try as many times as you need if you dont succeed in the first attempt. Once succeed, pray, eject it and pull the microsd out of the adapter and throw the adapter to the trash. Very likely that the adapter will make your microsd get locked again if you use it. Now try the microsd back to your Phantom.

My suggestion, get an USB OTG reader. That one is safer and you can review your pictures on a smartphone. Like this one:
1470157575940307863309.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Storm
I am lost here, it seems like he has no problem with the computer, it is only in the phantom. Are you saying there is switch on the Micro Part?

I am lost here, it seems like he has no problem with the computer, it is only in the phantom. Are you saying there is switch on the Micro Part?

His Phantom doesn't have any problem. Its his microsd that got write protected because of the sd card adapter. It's all because of this small switch here:
Screenshot_2016-08-03-06-14-02.jpg

Sorry still confused, there is no mechanical lock on the Micro (at least I can't see one). Are you saying the Micro gets its instructions that its locked through the adapter, or when the adapter and the Micro are installed in a PC, ETC?

I am going by his reply that I assume the card works fine in his PC from my questions on #2 and his incomplete answer on #3

Rod

Last edited:
Sorry still confused, there is no mechanical lock on the Micro (at least I can see one). Are you saying the Micro gets its instructions that its locked through the adapter, or when the adapter and the Micro are installed in a PC, ETC?

I am going by his reply that I assume the card works fine in his PC from my questions on #2 and his incomplete answer on #3

Rod
The sd card adapter lock switch can make the micro sd get locked. That is the problem. Somehow the mechanical lock, create an information for the pc that the card is write protected and that information got carried into the microsd (data) after using it on a mac or PC.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The sd card adapter lock switch can make the micro sd get locked. That is the problem. Somehow the mechanical lock, create an information for the pc that the card is write protected and that information got carried into the microsd (data) after using it on a mac or PC.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well I wish @Rick1 would update us with his status. This seems to be how this forum works the best!

Anyways, It seems that your theory from my short research, software from a PC or other device is not (known) to make a Micro SD being locked or read only, and of coarse Micro SD card does not have a mechanical locking switch.

I think the Op's problem is failure in the Phantom.

I hope somebody helps us all out..:D

Rod

Hello all,

As of yesterday I have been getting a SD card write protected message in the DJI GO app. I have since tried multiple micro SD cards and cannot use them because of this error. The Micro sd card is 16gb lexar which came pre-shipped with the phantom 3 4k. I cannot format the microsd card using the DJI go app as it gives me an error.

I have tried:
- Formatting the SD card to FAT32 and Exfat on a mac and a windows pc.
- Formatting the micro sd card in my sony alpha a6000 digital camera.
- using a micro sd card to sd card reader and flipping the switch to various positions and testing it then in my P3 4k.
- Formatting the SD card using a cable connected to the gimball

None of this seems to work. I have read some other threads on this forum about this vague error but there is no fix provided.

Does someone know what the heck is up?

57639-d2d7de25200f3e6ca7d5b33fca13032a.jpg

57640-aae528481a85f5bab90fd09707e4e460.jpg

thanks in advance.
Hi, and Welcome to the forum!
:D

Rod

Well I wish @Rick1 would update us with his status. This seems to be how this forum works the best!

Anyways, It seems that your theory from my short research, software from a PC or other device is not (known) to make a Micro SD being locked or read only, and of coarse Micro SD card does not have a mechanical locking switch.

I think the Op's problem is failure in the Phantom.

I hope somebody helps us all out..:D

Rod
That is correct on both points. I was hoping @Rick1 can update us and it also made me look the web for more solutions. Secondly, you are right that the microsd doesn't have the mechanical lock, only the adapter. If my suspicion is right, the loose switch on the sd card adapter is the one creating the problem.

That is correct on both points. I was hoping @Rick1 can update us and it also made me look the web for more solutions. Secondly, you are right that the microsd doesn't have the mechanical lock, only the adapter. If my suspicion is right, the loose switch on the sd card adapter is the one creating the problem.
Hum, this would have helped.
:rolleyes:
P3 4K firmware files

Hi guys,

Sorry for not updating for a while, I was busy and didn't have the time. Yesterday I tried my phantom out and re-installed the DJI GO apps on both iPhone and Android.

We somehow were able to format the SD card on the phantom. On the iPhone it says SD card initialising for a long time and then provides the error: SD CARD error. On my android phone it said SD card initialising, and then I removed the SD card and inserted it and it did work.

I made a post on the DJI forum with the same text etc, and contacted customer support. They think it is a hardware error and should be taken into service. But as I'm going on vacation next week I do not want to send my Phantom in for repairs just yet.

We will see over time if the error persist. I might buy a new micro SD card and not use one of the micro SD card adapters.

I know you guys told me that the SD card adapter might have a loose switch, I did also find that theory on the internet. However, the curious thing is that it must then be a software lock on the micro-sd card that is triggered but if that were the case then my Mac, windows pc or my digital camera should have also provided a message that I was unable to write/format information on the micro sd that. The phantom would then be more sensitive for such a sd card write protection as other devices. Moreover, I didn't find a lot of information on the internet about this very problem which suggests that there aren't many people having issues with this.

I know its all a bit fuzzy as I'm still not certain whether it is a software issue, as android and iPhone devices keep telling me different things or that it is a genuine hardware error.

Last edited:
Oh and I forgot to thank everyone who has responded with such elaborate messages. Thank you! you guys are the best!

Thanks for the update, I had talked our local computer store owner, which has built my last three computers for my store (I used to do it myself), which we have become friends in the last 10+ years. We text back in forth every couple of weeks (Just one of those guys that if he doesn't know, he will tell you he doesn't know).

Anyways, he had never heard of the Micro SD being locked by Software, Pc, etc. Of coarse, he stated, I am not saying it can't be done.

From your posts, I was thinking it wasn't a SD problem, then talking to the friend I was sure, then when I found your other post, I was positive.:D

Rod

We just bought a Sandisk extreme pro (write 90mb read90mb), this card was accepted immediately and the problem hasn't showed with this card. The old Lexar 633x card provided by DJI still does have the problem, but now in the form of sd card initializing.

Thanks for all the help. Seems that a faster SD card was the solution for me here.

I think people that format the sd card on a computer do a full format and when it's finished it says "Install system files Y/N.. Most people click Yes just out of habit but a big mistake if your going to use it in your drone.All that needs to be done is a quick format and that leaves the card blank.I can't remember ever having any problem with write protection on any small cards but I know bogus cards are starting to show up now.

you must check out this post, where you could certainly find the solution of sd card write protected.
How to Remove Write Protection on an SD Card
https://techcloud7.net/remove-write-protection-sd-card.html
Welcome to the forum!

Kind of old thread. :)

I still don't think yon can actually make a micro sd card read only when it is inserted in the phantom, because there is no lock button without it being in the larger sleeve. Also this gets confusing because they are also referring to flash drives / pen drives.

If the Phantom cannot format it, I feel the card is defective or not compatible.

Rod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers