SD Card to Ipad

Reaction score
having trouble figuring out how to get the video files from the micro sd card out of my PH4 onto my Ipad mini 2 so I can edit with IMovie... using the Apple sd card reader you can transfer to ipad or iPhone but cannot open, file format not supported... and IMovie does not see the file either in the photos folders.. trying to find solution without using icloud...anyone find a easy solution for this?...

Have read this is common complaint with newer ipads, i have no problems using my iMac or Pc. Need to resolve this so i can use ipad to edit while out of town.

I've had the same problem trying to copy a small, short video onto my Iphone. It would only work by going through Itunes. I don't remember the steps however. I figured out how to do it by Googling it.

Have read this is common complaint with newer ipads, i have no problems using my iMac or Pc. Need to resolve this so i can use ipad to edit while out of town.
I don't know what you have seen but it might be that it is a problem with earlier IPads. I can edit 4K on the IPad Pro no problems. I just find it lacking in the feature set. According to Apple the devices that support 4K editing are Phone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Air 2, and iPad Pro using iMovie for iOS version 2.2.1 or later and iOS 9.1 or later. it seems an A8X or higher processor is required.

I don't know what you have seen but it might be that it is a problem with earlier IPads. I can edit 4K on the IPad Pro no problems. I just find it lacking in the feature set. According to Apple the devices that support 4K editing are Phone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Air 2, and iPad Pro using iMovie for iOS version 2.2.1 or later and iOS 9.1 or later. it seems an A8X or higher processor is required.
my new ipad mini 2 will work in 4K, my problem has been getting it to see the video and transfer straight from the sd card..if I transfer first to my Mac and then to the ipad it seems to work fine...iMovie is limited on the ipad but is adequate to edit videos while out of town for me..i am filming in MP4 format

having trouble figuring out how to get the video files from the micro sd card out of my PH4 onto my Ipad mini 2 so I can edit with IMovie... using the Apple sd card reader you can transfer to ipad or iPhone but cannot open, file format not supported... and IMovie does not see the file either in the photos folders.. trying to find solution without using icloud...anyone find a easy solution for this?...
What format are you shooting in? Apple likes .mov

doing some testing, if I lower the res down to 1080, the ipad finds videos right away...interesting

this brand new ipad mini 2 will recognize 1080p video files 30fps, 48fps, 120fps but NOT 60fps.....checked in my iPhone 6s out of curiousity, sees all 1080p including 60fps

So, my 2 cents: 4K is supported on iMovie for iOS devices from iPhone 6S and newer and iPad Air 2 and iPad pro (on pro, you can edit up to 3 4K streams simultaneously).
90cf1e280f5ce8dca07946b1b127dab7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

don't want to bore you guys, but have concluded my iPhone 6s will not open the 2.7 or 4K video..shows file format not supported.... but can be brought into iMovie and edited on iPhone and then saved in 4K..... the ipad mini 2 reacts the same but will only allow 2.7res video to be brought into iMovie and edited and then saved only in 1080

Last edited:
don't want to bore you guys, but have concluded my iPhone 6s will not see the 2.7 or 4K video..file format not supported.... but can be brought into iMovie and edited..... the ipad mini 2 will only allow 2.7res video to be brought into iMovie and edited
Bored? No. I'm pretty sure that's what we suspected was the case, thank you for confirming. It seems A8X or higher SOC is required. 4K needs a lot if grunt.

If you like OSX consider getting a high spec laptop for travel and run a hackintosh OSX instal.

don't want to bore you guys, but have concluded my iPhone 6s will not open the 2.7 or 4K video..shows file format not supported.... but can be brought into iMovie and edited on iPhone and then saved in 4K..... the ipad mini 2 reacts the same but will only allow 2.7res video to be brought into iMovie and edited and then saved only in 1080
So am I right in saying it will import the 4K to iPhone 6s and to iPad Mini 4 but then it just sits there and can't be watched or edited? That seems like a pretty poorly thought through strategy by Apple...

I think this bloke may have cracked the puzzle -
- I can do it on my iPhone 6s but not on my iPad Mini 4 - still hoping for a miracle.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl