SD Card Removal

Reaction score
Might be of interest to someone.
When I found it kind of tricky to remove the SD card from my Phantom 3,
I added this little tab I made from a Shaped paper clip.
The tab was very carefully glued on the edge of the card with Cyanoacrylate
hobby glue and it has really made the card removal/insertion effortless.
If you do do this, be careful not to get the glue on the "sides" of the card as the
slot the card goes in is a pretty close tolerance'
Also, make sure the card will still fit your Computer SD Card Reader after you do this.
103.JPG
109.JPG

Last edited:
Nice. Perhaps you could add a close up pic or two of the card removed from the camera so we can see better where/how it is glued?

Thanks for sharing this. I often find it a little tough to get my card to eject.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Great effort Dave. A novel idea.

I usually put a small tape over the SD card slot to protect from dust. It will be difficult to achieve with this kind of arrangement.

I think Dave has thick finger and short nail to get SD card out. Use a tooth pick to press the card gently to take it out. It's not a big deal. I simply use my nail.

Nice. Perhaps you could add a close up pic or two of the card removed from the camera so we can see better where/how it is glued?

Thanks for sharing this. I often find it a little tough to get my card to eject.

Here is a picture removed from the Phantom, can't really see much though.
I just ran a small bead of glue on the edge of the card and put the wire
clip up against it and let it dry. Make sure glue does not touch the table or
wherever you put it to dry... I used two stacks of post it notes the same height,
about 1/8" apart, and put the SD card on one and the clip on the other so the drying glue seam was between both the stacks.
110.JPG

Reactions: Silverwingflinx

I usually put a small tape over the SD card slot to protect from dust. It will be difficult to achieve with this kind of arrangement.

I think Dave has thick finger and short nail to get SD card out. Use a tooth pick to press the card gently to take it out. It's not a big deal. I simply use my nail.
Actually I was using my finger nail to remove it previously. But to me, it seemed kind of one of those things that there must be a better solution. It actually works rather well. Just a easy press on the end of the clip and it pops right out. Putting it back in is easier also. Again, just thought I'd throw this out here as others might find it useful. I think it is a real "effort" saver myself... But then I'm probably
a little prejudiced..;)....

Thanks for the follow up pics. I have the same issue (I have big hands) and sometimes struggle a bit to get the card to eject. Gonna give this a try.

Thanks for the follow up pics. I have the same issue (I have big hands) and sometimes struggle a bit to get the card to eject. Gonna give this a try.

impilot51, I tried to upload a short video showing how cool it works but I guess the forum will not allow that.... Just use enough Cyanoacrylate to do the job. Again, it is just one of those simple things that make life a little easier....

Dust????
Where are you flying Irag?
The paper clip mod is a great idea...kudos

Did not want to be adversarial here. Mystery to me why when someone thinks they may be helping others in an every day situation, they get some bizarre response like that... Oh well... Life goes on I guess...
Sorry Dave,
Great idea! Especially to those of us men here who don't have girly hands!!
Seems sometimes every time someone who has a new idea that actually works normally gets great kudos/props from others who appreciate the effort and actually help them out. Then you you have the forum trollers, they are everywhere, they normally just post something negative to feed their need to just stoke somebody up. Then you have the "experts" who normally just find a friggin flaw in everything.
As my my Mom kinda said, Nothing good to say,Shut the Fuc* Up!
Again Dave, great idea! I have this issue as well as shall give it a go.
Thanks!

Reactions: DaveWithDrone
Okay guys, he was just making a reference to a lowbrow comedy movie called 'The Jerk' starring Steve Martin.
In it he invents a device by bending some wire to help people keep their glasses from sliding down their noses and made $millions.
Wont tell the rest and spoil it, but it was just a joke on his part

Last edited:
Sorry Dave,
Great idea! Especially to those of us men here who don't have girly hands!!
Seems sometimes every time someone who has a new idea that actually works normally gets great kudos/props from others who appreciate the effort and actually help them out. Then you you have the forum trollers, they are everywhere, they normally just post something negative to feed their need to just stoke somebody up. Then you have the "experts" who normally just find a friggin flaw in everything.
As my my Mom kinda said, Nothing good to say,Shut the Fuc* Up!
Again Dave, great idea! I have this issue as well as shall give it a go.
Thanks!
GunnyPapa,
I know exactly where your coming from! I'm sure others see the mentality. Glad you liked the idea.

Don't possess sausage fingers here, Nah, just normal prodigits.
If And only when I can't get a grip, I will then yield, & entrust my sterile Zircon encrusted surgical tweezers... Hahaha
And with firm but gentle persuasion, extract with ease, that tiny vast library of colour filled memories and scenic views from those elevated perch and spectacles of wonder locations.

RedHotPoker

The lengths some people go to always amaze me!! novel idea though. I use a thing called a fingernail its boring but useful!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers