Screwing Around

Reaction score
I have included bare-bones pictures of the Phantom quad minus electronics, motors, battery, camera/gimbal, and screws. Views include the clam shell intact, the inside and outside of the bottom of the two shells and the inside of the top clam shell.

74 screws hold these two clam components (including components not shown) together! Screws, all metric, range in size from 0.5mm to 2mm, in one of three different pitches.

Heaven help you if you drop your screws on the floor! Be exceptionally careful when screwing in the screws as you might crack the casework.

I found Amazon to be a good source. Plastic and all screws are provided. As a Prime customer, I received my order in 3 days, delivered on Sunday!

Attachments

• Phantom_clam_shell.jpg
    Phantom_clam_shell.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 697
  • top_inside.jpg
    top_inside.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 682
  • bot_inside.jpg
    bot_inside.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 714
  • bot_outside.jpg
    bot_outside.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 698
Is that the same shell as a P2V, if so what is the cost as I'm looking at getting one to have spray painted.

Yes, I believe the body is the same as the P2V; same screws, same holes, same dimensions, etc. As I recall the cost is ~$67 plastic and all screws included (Amazon). I spray painted mine and then applied 3m vinyl. I strongly advise your use of white primer. Allow it to cure adequately. Then spray color. Follow the instructions wrt curing time. I recommend Krylon Fusion for plastic with a primer designed for plastic.

Re: Screwing Around - Paint Incompatibility

About painting the Phantom, make absolutely sure the primer is compatible with the paint you desire to paint on top of it. For instance, Krylon is a lacquer and is incompatible with Rust-Oleum's UMA primer/sealer. I just made the mistake of overpainting Rust-Oleum's primer with Krylon Premium and it instantly wrinkled. Do not use Acetone to remove the lacquer. Acetone will eat EPP. It will also remove the primer with work.

cheers for the advice, however I have a brother who does all that kind of work so it will be going to him, ive seen a nice design on a quad that was for sale on Ebay,

5.jpg

Although the red skids and red camera arent to nice, i like the blue a lot, any ideas what color for the skids and camera ?

I would use the same color as painted around the end of the arms (motor mounts) to tie the colors together. A dark silver-grey might be another option. I would also get rid of the red decals and use white ones. Assuming the underside of the decals have been painted as well and you can't find white decals, I would trim a decal to 5-6mm, and perhaps, put a double set on each arm. The wide decal is out of balance w/ size of the model IMHO.

I like your thinking, im sure, if i left the red striped area unpainted it would be the white of the shell.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj