Screw inspection = very bad day

No worries Tahoe Ed. We understand you guys are not HQ. It's just that some of us who have experienced cracks since P1, sometimes within days of purchase without any crash whatsoever, tend to feel that this little issue seems to get very little attention when compared to gimbal misalignments and the like. But for us folks, are we are many, maybe much more if folks bothered to look, feel like new boat owners with hull delamination while the gelcoat is still fresh. To a lesser degree, of course, but the same kind of feeling. For me personally, hull integrity, shell integrity, is paramount. I personally lost two phantoms to GPS loss but never said one word about it in these or any forums. I view those as a part of dealing with avant garde technology and in all honesty I manned up both times. Simply because there were clear signals on both instances of being a bad GPS connectivity days. I ignored those warnings and paid the price. I manned up and bought new craft the same day and chalked it up to a mixture of unfavorable conditions that sometimes no technology can overcome. After all, planes go down every year for the same circumstances. Hell, my mother survived an airplane crash on 3/11/1967 in Brazil so I will never, ever post in here regarding any issue as a result of over reliance on the instruments. But hull integrity, shell integrity, fuselage integrity, there is no new technology to this. This is as old school an issue as it gets and would be extremely easy to adress by just a matter of material thickness. Even issues related to screw torque can be rectified and become non issues, by again, material thickness. I've stated before that shells never crack around the battery area or really anywhere inwards of the lights on a phantom. Anyone who has ever opened a shell has to admit that the shell is disturbingly thin near the motor area. DJI has had two generations following phantom 1 to adress this. The new upper/lower clips aren't enough. If I sound at times a little angry it is because I am. I bought two phantom 3 craft because I expected cracks to come again. After two weeks I actually started thinking it was in haste until someone here, the first poster, showed his cracks. Cracks of a nature different than the usual P2 cracks. These mainly around the side by side screw hole area. A still very thin area. It must be improved. I love DJI's products and am a loyal buyer. But the arm attachment area must be improved by material thickness because cracks like this on uncrashed craft is unacceptable. All my flights are logged and can be verified for lack of crashes. I've never crashed any phantom. I want no new shell. I want no new craft. In fact I'm willing to pay 2 grand right now for a phantom 3 whose arms do not crack. And no, I don't want an inspire. If it were about price I would not have bought two craft. What I and others want at this point is a phantom that maintains structural integrity when flown as advertised. It's expected but still not delivered. As of now the ends of the arms on my P3 are glued on the seam. They feel stiffer than new. I will report back on the results. While some will not accept not being able to split a shell, I don't think DJI wanted the P3 to be opened anyway. Hence the torx screws this time around. Besides, I'm willing to replace a tired shell if I needed to replace a motor. Light bridge componentry is in the back of the craft externally anyway. Thanks for passing any info to DJI Tahoe.
I'm Ken(blade strike) Ed is Tahoe Ed.

Maybe dji can adjust torque specs on the assembly line. Hopefully they will increase the thickness of the shell as well.

Reactions: Bigdz
Ken,
Hopefully, you are right. And the fixes can be implemented soon. It's not a major deal to correct. And with so many occurring, it's obviously something which needs the DJI developers attention. Stat.
Thanks for your input here, it means a lot to all of us guys and gals who buy this stuff and happen to love it. Even with the foibles and freckles...

Wish you would of, could of jumped in here earlier, and let us know you are listening with both ears. ;-)

Have a nice day...

RedHotPoker

Ken,
Hopefully, you are right. And the fixes can be implemented soon. It's not a major deal to correct. And with so many occurring, it's obviously something which needs the DJI developers attention. Stat.
Thanks for your input here, it means a lot to all of us guys and gals who buy this stuff and happen to love it. Even with the foibles and freckles...

Wish you would of, could of jumped in here earlier, and let us know you are listening with both ears. ;-)

Have a nice day...

RedHotPoker

Guys rest assured just because we don't reply to all issues, we do monitor. I will try to at least post something on issues like this in the future so you guys know that someone is listening.

Reactions: Toddzilla
Ken,
Thanks again. Knowing that you have brought this to light with DJI, Even though I may not have the hair line cracks on my Phantom 3, that others have discovered, I still appreciate your input and attention to the thread subject. It kind of makes it official, if that's the right way of describing your communication with the boys AND ladies at HQ.
Without your input here, it almost felt like no one was listening, or seemed to care? Even though we know that is not the case. Your words are quite soothing to the soul. Thanks again. Mucho Gracias Señor!!
I'm quite sure that you have brought some comfort to those whose Phantom's suffered this issue. It is being addressed. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Ken,
Thanks again. Knowing that you have brought this to light with DJI, Even though I may not have the hair line cracks on my Phantom 3, that others have discovered, I still appreciate your input and attention to the thread subject. It kind of makes it official, if that's the right way of describing your communication with the boys AND ladies at HQ.
Without your input here, it almost felt like no one was listening, or seemed to care? Even though we know that is not the case. Your words are quite soothing to the soul. Thanks again. Mucho Gracias Señor!!
I'm quite sure that you have brought some comfort to those whose Phantom's suffered this issue. It is being addressed. ;-)

RedHotPoker

No problem

Well, I was going to head out to fly... But then I found some cracks during a preflight inspection. Then I call the seller expecting an exchange and they basically tell me that I have to contact DJI, because they have no spare parts. After asking for the manager, I finally worked out a way to exchange it... Assuming DJI approves it. Really??? Is this for real? There's not a scratch on it and it has never been involved in a rough landing, nothing... Does DJI honestly believe that they produce 100% defect free products??? I'm assuming that DJI will have no problem approving it and the seller was just giving me a lot of hassle.

Until I hear that DJI approved this for a DOA claim, I'm going to be pretty frustrated. I don't know what I'll do if they don't....

The cracks are in the recessed areas for the screws that hold the two shell halves together. Two have cracks on one arm, and the other arm has a crack on one of the recessed holes. I'm willing to bet it happened simply by the factory over tightening them during assembly.

FF4912E7-DCFC-452A-B180-636927DE2D57.jpg

D6BDFAA2-7FBA-41BC-9B9F-5A40A8BFBB24.jpg
Does it fly? I wouldn't sweat it unless your a neat freak. I understand your frustrations but this is something that is not visible and won't cause issues. It's really actually pretty minor. If the body was cracked I would be pissed but these are a couple very minor screw holes. That's nothing.

Does it fly? I wouldn't sweat it unless your a neat freak. I understand your frustrations but this is something that is not visible and won't cause issues. It's really actually pretty minor. If the body was cracked I would be pissed but these are a couple very minor screw holes. That's nothing.

Does it fly? Yeah, for now....

Did you read the part where I explained how much less secure the motors are on the arms with cracks when compared to the ones without cracks?? I'll agree to disagree with your opinion.

I would rather have some peace of mind when I'm flying my expensive toy. To be honest, flying it in the condition it was in would be quite the idiotic thing to do.. That is exactly what anyone will tell you when you learn the hard way and have to explain what went wrong. No thanks..

Guys rest assured just because we don't reply to all issues, we do monitor. I will try to at least post something on issues like this in the future so you guys know that someone is listening.

I really appreciate you chiming in here blade strike. It's just nice to know that it's not being ignored.

So, good news, I have my replacement P3P already thanks to CopterShop.com and the nice people over there. They even have a 30 day return policy that would have covered me from all of this hassle. So, needless to say, it was a no brainer to pay the tax just so I could have an actual return policy.

I'm happy to report that there are absolutely no cracks on this shell <knock on wood>. I'll definitely be checking it thoroughly after every flight. I decided that it couldn't hurt to loosen the screws just a tad on the new shell in the locations where it cracked on the previous P3. They definitely felt torqued down more than necessary.

Has there ever been a documented failure of a phantom due to the cracks? A dab of super glue should secure the damaged areas for the life of the copter I would think. Yes, this is an issue, but what are you to do with the one you have now. What's the worse that can happen :) DJI is aware of the issue and all we can do is bite the bullet and move on.. In the RC Sailboat world we run into stress cracks all the time and all we do is coat the weak areas with fiberglass resin to give it additional strength. Can the same be done here, just coat the inside area of the motor mount area with some resin?

Last edited:
Some plastics lose integrity when glue or contact adhesive is applied. Don't you think that would void your warranty?

No wonder DJI has yet to do anything about this.. Too many of you are just dealing with it. The moment you modify it, DJI is no longer responsible for it. My unit should be on its way to DJI for study after the seller receives it for a refund. If there's a possibility of getting a full refund/exchange, I'm going to be patient and go that route.

As for what I'll do if/when my new P3 has the same issue, I would replace the shell since they would most likely be available by then... Assuming I am already outside the return policy. I would also contact DJI again and they will hopefully see the significance of the same customer experiencing the same defect once again.

Last edited:
Well, my P3A has them. Last night no cracks on inspection. Today after 2 flights 3 of the 8 have cracks. I also noticed a never before "wobble" in the craft. Mine is 24 days old with less then 4 hours or so in the air. Its going to be replaced by Nexgen drones or DJI. I never had this issue with my other P2's. As far as i can see it will happen to all of them. Their is not alot of holding power in that thin of plastic where the cracks are occurring. If this is not fixed by DJI these crafts will wobble out of the sky. Its a matter of time before it happens.

Reactions: bighi
Well, my P3A has them. Last night no cracks on inspection. Today after 2 flights 3 of the 8 have cracks. I also noticed a never before "wobble" in the craft. Mine is 24 days old with less then 4 hours or so in the air. Its going to be replaced by Nexgen drones or DJI. I never had this issue with my other P2's. As far as i can see it will happen to all of them. Their is not alot of holding power in that thin of plastic where the cracks are occurring. If this is not fixed by DJI these crafts will wobble out of the sky. Its a matter of time before it happens.

I disagree, I have 2 pros. 1 with over 100 flights on the other just over 60. Not one crack.

Just an added thought-- for those who use the snap on and off prop guards, the cracking is not an issue since each arm has the mount for the prop guard which actually reinforces the motor mount. I use the prop guards some time and sometimes I don't- but the mounts remain on the arm and act as reinforcement, I don't believe this is an issue for those with these prop guard mounts. Pretty cheap fix, considering and I can still get under the hood if necessary.
IMAG0347.jpg
IMAG0348.jpg

Are they both preproduction?

No, preproduction go back..These are both production. Otherwise it wouldn't be a 100% match for what the customers owns.

I disagree, I have 2 pros. 1 with over 100 flights on the other just over 60. Not one crack.
Curious to know if you did have these issues how would you fix them? Oh wait your employed by DJI
So it would get handle, for us we just get screwed.

I just checked my bird and no cracks so far. I wonder if I should get a prop balancer and maybe I should unscrew all the allen head screws and then gently tighten to prevent the plastic from stressing because of too much rigidness? What do you guys think are good preventive measures?:confused:

Curious to know if you did have these issues how would you fix them? Oh wait your employed by DJI
So it would get handle, for us we just get screwed.

Yep..and that's what is sad. Wang himself never showed up to the P3 premier because he said" it was not ready yet". Don't get me wrong, I really like my phantoms. I so far have had 3. But with only 24 days in my hands, 3 cracks in the shell that were not produced by a crash, but by just vibration not to be covered under warranty is beyond me. This is what i predict. This will cause one of these to fall from the sky. It will happen. My wobble will only get worse and the thing is going to wobble apart if i do not do preventative maintenance on it. After reading more on it, its a waist of time to call DJI. My seller may allow a return, but i also paid via Paypal so i have that option. My other is to majorly reinforce the screws with wither epoxy, and or glue. Now if i was a employee of DJI knowing that some of us HAVE to glue our shells together so its airworthy, I would not be posting "i have 2 with no problems" yada yada yada.
I am one to rarely *itch about a product. but come on...24 days. With every flight that wobble will induce more stress and the other screw holes WILL CRACK. If it falls from the sky and injures someone, even with my insurance you can sure bet this will be documented and attorneys will dig into the billionaire's pockets from across the sea!

Yep..and that's what is sad. Wang himself never showed up to the P3 premier because he said" it was not ready yet". Don't get me wrong, I really like my phantoms. I so far have had 3. But with only 24 days in my hands, 3 cracks in the shell that were not produced by a crash, but by just vibration not to be covered under warranty is beyond me. This is what i predict. This will cause one of these to fall from the sky. It will happen. My wobble will only get worse and the thing is going to wobble apart if i do not do preventative maintenance on it. After reading more on it, its a waist of time to call DJI. My seller may allow a return, but i also paid via Paypal so i have that option. My other is to majorly reinforce the screws with wither epoxy, and or glue. Now if i was a employee of DJI knowing that some of us HAVE to glue our shells together so its airworthy, I would not be posting "i have 2 with no problems" yada yada yada.
I am one to rarely *itch about a product. but come on...24 days. With every flight that wobble will induce more stress and the other screw holes WILL CRACK. If it falls from the sky and injures someone, even with my insurance you can sure bet this will be documented and attorneys will dig into the billionaire's pockets from across the sea!

Yea, what we need is more lawyers, insurance companies, and litigation-- "sue em" "make em pay", they will jump right up and fix everything immediately.
Please take a deep breathe and exhale slowly-- send it back and you wont have to worry about the cracks or dropping it on someone's head.:rolleyes::confused:o_O Where is all this anger coming from?????

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1