Screw inspection = very bad day

Here are my cracks. To hell with it, I'm gluing the fuselage together. Why? He cause this now is worse than the P2. The P2 cracks didn't affect the structural integrity that much because they were on a different location. These cracks do. You can physically see a lot more twisting movement from the arm ends once the cracks are there. And again folks, chances are you probably have them.View attachment 22829 View attachment 22831
Holy ****! That's a hole! I just have hair line crack issues. Never that extreme. I would bit the bullet and send it in if I had that issue.
DJI probably planned it this way, figuring they would generate more income from damage shells. They should be stronger!
I know my old Blade 350 did the same thing but much worse but there was a third party(company) that designed a carbon shell for it and it was light.

I wish someone would design something like that for our phantoms. I can bet no one is even looking for these cracks that a eventually turn into holes. Just crazy.

I hope blade strike reads this thread!!!! Send the info into the folks at DJI

Last edited:
That's it, I'm done with this crap and frankly I'm tired of it. I just finished super gluing all the seams on all four arms. I didn't undo a single screw as I used to do on my all my P2s. This time, considering the issue is more about the two main chassis screws instead of the arm end cracks on the P2, I solidified the arms. If an esc takes a crap, not only is the main board dead, but the entire craft as well from the crash. Hence, I glued 180 degrees around all four arms. Just finished.

This isn't new to me and phantoms. It's about time they improve these shells. They are plenty thick enough in the mid section but could use a couple of more mils on the arms. Yes, I love phantoms, like the shell form factor. It works. But the shell is a piece of crap where the motors are. Wake up DJI!

Yes bigdz, no one is looking for these cracks. They are too busy crashing into trees. It's us flyers who don't crash who get real miffed at these cracks.

I've had cracks on my P1 after crashes, they expanded, I replaced the shell after one year. I would definitely send it for replacement.

Here is result. All four arms are gued at the ends from right where the lights end and all around. The P3 does not have a modular parts construction. It's one main board. Any replacement of that will get close to the cost of the DJI offered craft minus camera and radio. The result is far more stiffness in that area now. DJI does not give a rat's *** about these cracks and believe me, they aren't under warranty. If they were, and people actually looked, they would have an extremely high rate of returns since this is a far bigger issue than any other. I have another brand new in box P3A and I'm going to glue that as well. Until they finally get around to strengthening this area, which they wont, I'll have to do this mod.

While some out there are busy crashing into the trees behind their house, there are others who just about never crash. And for those that never crash this is beyond annoying. It's infuriating. Anyway, here is the seam glued arm. I spread the super glue liberally, waited about ten seconds, then wiped the excess with a paper towel. I kept pressing it closed. Any glue marks that were there it took care of with some wet 400 grit.
20150624_182800.jpg

Name and shame, please. Help others who are looking to buy one via Amazon, so we know who to avoid!

I hesitate to post anything yet because I don't want to burn any bridges until after this is resolved. I will update this thread with that info once that happens. All I can suggest you do if buying it on Amazon is to only buy it directly from Amazon. That way you will avoid the third party hassle. I've never had an issue with returning things through Amazon, hopefully this will be no different.

Silverstoned, good luck. Me I'm going to keep flying cause I had this happen on two phantom 2 visions, 2 vision pluses and a phantom 1. The shell, while wonderful in design, is way too thin at the ends. I hoped, after seeing the new retention clips, that they finally did something to the too thin arm ends. I hoped but still tried not to stare too long at the underside of the arms. Joking aside, I even tried my hardest when tightening the props, to not stress those screws. No luck. Cracks are there. Your phantom isn't defective. This is a design flaw. DJI is in serious luck that the average user never looks over there. Then there are those obsessed with filming trees and crashing into them which breaks the machine anyway. If I had sent all my cracked phantoms in I would have barely flown. But man, do it. Send it in. *****. Complain. You are more patient than I am. As to the others here, check your phantom out. Tell others. Complain to DJI. We are loyal. It's about time they fix this issue. DJI has been shoving this one under the rug for years now.

Reactions: Bigdz
So insignificant you cant see it in the photos.

I agree with hairline cracks but look at the picture...You can't superglue a hole.

Wow, now that's different :( That doesn't look like a structural part of the arm so unless you want to deal with DJI you could fill in any cracks with super glue to prevent them from getting bigger then fill in the hole with white bathtub sealer and let dry. That will keep out dirt and stuff. Or just some white tape. I don't think it would affect the integrity of the copter. But yes, you shouldn't have to live with it if it bothers you.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlo
Here is result. All four arms are gued at the ends from right where the lights end and all around. The P3 does not have a modular parts construction. It's one main board. Any replacement of that will get close to the cost of the DJI offered craft minus camera and radio. The result is far more stiffness in that area now. DJI does not give a rat's *** about these cracks and believe me, they aren't under warranty. If they were, and people actually looked, they would have an extremely high rate of returns since this is a far bigger issue than any other. I have another brand new in box P3A and I'm going to glue that as well. Until they finally get around to strengthening this area, which they wont, I'll have to do this mod.

While some out there are busy crashing into the trees behind their house, there are others who just about never crash. And for those that never crash this is beyond annoying. It's infuriating. Anyway, here is the seam glued arm. I spread the super glue liberally, waited about ten seconds, then wiped the excess with a paper towel. I kept pressing it closed. Any glue marks that were there it took care of with some wet 400 grit. View attachment 22838

The glue job, Looks Great. So perhaps that should be a final assembly step, before the Phantom is being boxed and shipped.
Screwed-glued and DJI tattooed!
What ever works, and keeps it intact... And us, Customers coming back.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: bobmyers and Bigdz
A dab of super glue should fix you up and last for the life of the quad. Not worth the hassle if it was mine :)

Fred I'm with you on this one. I would add some plastic epoxy and be done with it.

You shouldn't have to rebuild a brand new quad...

DJI corp, should pay much more attention to detail.. At these prices.

RedHotPoker

You shouldn't have to rebuild a brand new quad...

DJI corp, should pay much more attention to detail.. At these prices.

RedHotPoker

Red you are right, but the shell IS NOT covered under warranty which is BS, if I send it in I'm sure I wouldn't see it for weeks if not months. Then I'll be charged for the work done to it.
I don't have holes like the above pictures just very small hair line cracks. I can live with that... But Believe me it's BS!!!!!! And I gave them hell on the phone as well as emails. Seems to be routine as this happened on my P2v+

There needs to be an upgrade of the material thickness and quality, to the Phantom arms... There is no other solution.

I hope DJI manufacturing department, can get this small neglected issue dually corrected...

RedHotPoker

@Kman,
You can be the voice of reason... ;-)

RedHotPoker

I understand that. Since I don't have any of these noteable cracks or crevices on my Phantom, I wouldn't be the proper badnews ambassador.

Perhaps wait and see, or after you make an initial inspection...
I Hope that you have none. It must, and better be, a very uncommon malady.

RedHotPoker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20