Scotland - Blanket ban on recreational flying

Reaction score
So the Forestry Commission Scotland has just released their latest policy on recreational drone flying....:

"Flying drones (unmanned aircraft) as an informal activity or hobby is not allowed on Scotland's National Forest Estate. This is because this activity is often incompatible with responsible access under the Scottish Outdoor Access Code, particularly in a working forest environment, instances where people are enjoying quiet recreation, or where it may impact on people's privacy."

Discuss...., for one I am pretty unhappy. Can't see how it is enforceable, they don't own the airspace above the forest floor, there is the right to roam unlike the rest of the UK and just a backwards, draconian approach.

Permissions and permits - Forestry Commission Scotland

I bet though you can still drive your diesel belching 4WD through the same forests and drop your garbage on the ground and leave it behind..move to Australia methinks, we are not that backward..yet.

Reactions: klongx
I bet though you can still drive your diesel belching 4WD through the same forests and drop your garbage on the ground and leave it behind..move to Australia methinks, we are not that backward..yet.
Yet... Its coming sooner or later. This world we live in sucks. We are overly regulated in one form or another all over the globe.

I used to do a bit of mountain biking in the forest and I can't see how flying my drone could possibly do as much damage as my bike did.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I used to do a bit of mountain biking in the forest and I can't see how flying my drone could possibly do as much damage as my bike did.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using PhantomPilots mobile app
All these regulations with an exception of a few is mostly B.S in my opinion. Here we can't fly drones in national parks because it might disturb the wildlife but yet you can drive your car or loud *** motorcycle through the park no problem. Governments don't want its citizens to have to much freedom, if a lot of people do something the government feels the need to infringe on them and ultimately try to get money from you in the form of fees and fines, you know the government can't miss a good money making opportunity and if they can fine a poor sap for flying his drone in a park then they'll do it.

All these regulations with an exception of a few is mostly B.S in my opinion. Here we can't fly drones in national parks because it might disturb the wildlife but yet you can drive your car or loud *** motorcycle through the park no problem. Governments don't want its citizens to have to much freedom, if a lot of people do something the government feels the need to infringe on them and ultimately try to get money from you in the form of fees and fines, you know the government can't miss a good money making opportunity and if they can fine a poor sap for flying his drone in a park then they'll do it.
And when you consider the carbon footprint of a drone is the time taken to charge the battery and controller, you would be thinking the government would be sending you carbon credits for being so responsible. Probably explains why I live in a tiny community where I have the only drone for 40klms and have 200,000 hectares to fly. May set up a drone commune and we can all be left alone?

And when you consider the carbon footprint of a drone is the time taken to charge the battery and controller, you would be thinking the government would be sending you carbon credits for being so responsible. Probably explains why I live in a tiny community where I have the only drone for 40klms and have 200,000 hectares to fly. May set up a drone commune and we can all be left alone?
Yeah I live in a town of less than 13 thousand people and there are miles and miles of country, pretty much no one cares here. But its when you get into the bigger cities is when you have people bitching and complaining. In bigger cities you have to conform to what others think you should do. Here I can fly in the parks or where ever I want without anyone telling me to leave.

Yeah I live in a town of less than 13 thousand people and there are miles and miles of country, pretty much no one cares here. But its when you get into the bigger cities is when you have people bitching and complaining. In bigger cities you have to conform to what others think you should do. Here I can fly in the parks or where ever I want without anyone telling me to leave.
My little town has 180 people and are more fascinated with the drone and what it can do. The only problem I ever had were some comments from the local pub regarding privacy, so I made a short film of their establishment, and gave it to them for use on their website. Service now is second to none..... As for going anywhere near a major city, I have no intention as the effort in negotiating the traffic isn't worth it and I couldn't put up with the tears from some 'concerned citizen'.

As I live in England I will travel right up to the Scottish boarder and fly my drone into Scotland, then fly it back into the English boarder....wonder what they would do then hehe[emoji23]

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: robinb

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31