Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Scary flight and a warning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by syotr, Oct 1, 2014.

1. syotr

Not a Phantom per se but using many of the same parts. I took my quad up for quick flight this evening after adjusting gains and almost lost it. As soon as it lifted off, it angled to the left and started flying away. I was able make it stop by pushing the roll stick almost all the way to the right. When I would let off of the stick, it would take off again. Pushing the stick all the way over, I was able to bring it back to me and hand catch it.
    Without powering it off, I took it inside and connected up to the NAZA software. The assistant showed the roll stick way off center. Tried calibrating the transmitter but this did not fix it. Powered off everything and started over. This time the sticks were all centered.
    I expect what had happened was that the stick was pushed over part way when I powered up the bird. I had the transmitter hanging around my neck and the strap may have been against the stick when I connected up the battery.
    So a warning to others: Make sure the sticks are centered when connecting to the software and when connecting the battery to the quad.Probably best to set the transmitter down and not have it hanging around your neck.

2. Happyflyer

+1 :shock:

3. IflyinWY

Thanks for sharing.

It sounds like a good idea to keep the machine running in it's "whacky state" in order to analyze what had gone wrong. I would want another set of hands for that procedure.

Had you not done so, and concluded the stick out of position at power on, I would have thought the gains adjustments could cause the loss of a bird.

I see a training video in there somewhere.
    "Bad Stick :x " or maybe "The Strapped Stick" any suggestions for a title?

4. N017RW

Powered up indoors is not a problem when you remove the props.

5. Happyflyer

It wasn't having props on, it was plug it in to PC when powered on. Electrical arc while plugging it in=ZAP!