scared

Again the misquote - nowhere does DJI say to keep calibrating compass each flight.
What it says - calibrate if different location - meaning significant distance from original calibration position ....

Or if warning errors. Then you move to clear no warning error and calibrate.

The advice to gently play with sticks to get used to what they do is excellent advice. This will certainly help when the time comes that GPS mode fails and reverts to plane atti mode. You will be at least somewhat confident to fly the model.

Nigel

I'm sure others know better about updating, but that version seems old. I'm really new to this. Mine wouldn't offer an update unless I was outside and about to fly so I ended a session and ran inside to my wifi when I saw it pop up. And, it seemed to be successful but the app didn't recognize it until the next day. So the process of updating is a bit squirrelly and others have noticed that.

I prepared somewhat the way you did although I never used a drone before. I was reluctant to really fly the thing but finally had to because I was swimming with information. Go slow at first like folks have said. I used beginner mode and was shocked at how flawless the bird was. I've since had panic situations, due to low battery signals, and not being familiar with the RTH process and being too fixated on my iPhone camera view. So practice RTH and also practice viewing the app and looking up to track it visually. And, pay attention to the timeline!!!

I updated to 1.8.1 and haven't noticed an issue.

When it comes to negative posts remember that DJI has sold hundreds of thousands of units and having 200 or so unhappy threads are decent odds. Especially when the majority of the complaints are user error uniformed users. When it comes to actually defects causing issues the number is very low.

One more thing to take note of. On your controller the left stick up/down is for climb/descend. You will notice that when you pull it down it hits a soft stop and when you go past this it will go all the way down and "lock" there. This is to turn off the motors on the ground after a manual landing. Now, I'm not sure if it will turn off the motors in flight because I've never tried and never will unless I've totally lost all control and am heading toward people. Just make sure you note this.

If you have lost all control then how would any stick command help? I assume you mean that you have entered panic mode in which case either release the sticks or go high.
For entertainment value do a csc and watch the birdie turn into a bomb that really can hurt people. CSC has got to be one of the daftest things your allowed to do, I appreciate some people swear by it and prefer it to auto takeoff and land, but for the novice flyer it's a dumb design. Mind you, you only do csc once inflight so it is self limiting.

Reactions: tobby
If you have lost all control then how would any stick command help? I assume you mean that you have entered panic mode in which case either release the sticks or go high.
For entertainment value do a csc and watch the birdie turn into a bomb that really can hurt people. CSC has got to be one of the daftest things your allowed to do, I appreciate some people swear by it and prefer it to auto takeoff and land, but for the novice flyer it's a dumb design. Mind you, you only do csc once inflight so it is self limiting.

I've flown RC airplanes and helicopters for the better part of the last 30 years. Sometimes mechanical failures happen and while you still have some control of the aircraft the mechanical failure is going to make you crash. I've had it happen before so you can do a "controlled crash" (and if you don't believe this is true you haven't flown RC very long). If you have no other choice but crash it's always better to lessen the possible damage to person or property. Say you loose a prop for some reason or a motor locks up on you phantom and now it's an unguided missile (or rock) hurling it's self towards a group of people. Sure your gonna hit them but it would be nice to turn off the props so it doesn't act like a food processor when it hits someone. Granted the situation to use a CSC to kill the motors will probably never come up but ya never know if you'll need it. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Last edited:
What altitude should I set my failsafe to it set to 30 meters now?
That depends on where you are flying and how high you need to be to clear any obstacles (trees, houses, power lines, ect...) in that area. For where I'm flying now there are some pretty tall trees and I have mine set to 61 meters. It's way overkill but I know it will clear everything in a RTH situation.

Hold onto and use that fear to your advantage. Use it to:

Always preflight your quad, and yourself, where you are flying, where you plan to take it, and think about what you might do if you lost control (meaning plan your RTH home point in reference to what you're doing in said location)

Take it slow, fly in an open filed and proceed from there.

I've flown RC airplanes and helicopters for the better part of the last 30 years. Sometimes mechanical failures happen and while you still have some control of the aircraft the mechanical failure is going to make you crash. I've had it happen before so you can do a "controlled crash" (and if you don't believe this is true you haven't flown RC very long). If you have no other choice but crash it's always better to lessen the possible damage to person or property. Say you loose a prop for some reason or a motor locks up on you phantom and now it's an unguided missile (or rock) hurling it's self towards a group of people. Sure your gonna hit them but it would be nice to turn off the props so it doesn't act like a food processor when it hits someone. Granted the situation to use a CSC to kill the motors will probably never come up but ya never know if you'll need it. Just my 2 cents. ;)
I gladly stand corrected, i have no previous RC experience of note beyond my long dead Tamiya Frog. Always happy to hear and learn from others.

What altitude should I set my failsafe to it set to 30 meters now?
It's a bit of a dynamic situation, you have to guestimate the highest obstacle that she will run into if RTH kicks in. She will come back in pretty much a straight line, so just assess your environment for each flight.
Its a bit like the planning for Apollo flghts around the moon, 50 mile orbital altitude is great until you go round the far side and run into a 55 mile high mountain.

I gladly stand corrected, i have no previous RC experience of note beyond my long dead Tamiya Frog. Always happy to hear and learn from others.
And please don't take what I wrote as me be a smarta$$. I tend to come across that way quite often,especially on forums like this.

And please don't take what I wrote as me be a smarta$$. I tend to come across that way quite often,especially on forums like this.

its the ZRX...I see that in a lot of Kawi guys

Reactions: Lunatech
It's a bit of a dynamic situation, you have to guestimate the highest obstacle that she will run into if RTH kicks in. She will come back in pretty much a straight line, so just assess your environment for each flight.
Its a bit like the planning for Apollo flghts around the moon, 50 mile orbital altitude is great until you go round the far side and run into a 55 mile high mountain.

Very well said.

You ought to see a bunch of us get together. There isn't a place big enough to hold the ego's LOL :eek:

mmmmmm, big air cooled I-4's....Super standards...

:D

I have almost bought a ZRX about four times. I had CB1100F for a few years as my only means of transport. Good times....

Speed Triple is my daily now

Reactions: Lunatech
Everytime I go on the forum I see lost or disconnected or other issues with the P3S, I haven't flown mine yet and I'm afraid to fly it thinking I'll lose it or some other issue. I know I'm a worrier.
Hello Pat. Do not worry. The overwhelming majority of the problems come from various degrees of user error. Follow the basic rules of flying and you'll be fine. Also, buy the right bird for the right purpose. If you want to fly for distance, altitude and such, buy I hi-quality bird that fits your needs. As a videographer, I don't need to fly long distances or at dizzying altitudes; 1) because the altitude limit is 400 feet. 2) because the law states you must fly line of sight. Following those two things should do you well. (FYI - They are US rules and I didn't see where you were from)

I recently flew in a mountain area for the first time a few weeks ago. Living in a city, "line of sight" means something completely different. In an area when line of sight is many, many miles, seeing the bird and then not seeing it scared the crap out of me. I almost lost the bird just because I flew far beyond what the P3S was made to do. There are a number of drones for distance, speed and such. The P3S is not one of them. It's an excellent drone for pics, vids and to enjoy flying it, but as with all prosumer equipment, be sure to follow the golden rule; "match your gear with your goal."

Also EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. I spent the first two months flying at very low altitudes [under 40 feet] simply flying patterns, taking off and landing, to make myself a strong P3S pilot. That helped me to avoid a bunch of the problems I've read in the forums. You are obviously researching it, which is certainly the right thing to do for someone just starting out, so set up your bird and enjoy it.

Enjoy flying and such. Just be cautious and most of the problems will be non-existent or at least not drone threatening.
Looking forward to you posting pics/vids of your flight.

Last edited:
Why on earth does the failsafe setup belong in CAMERA settings? Maybe DJI ought to look at better grouping of facilities in more appropriate groups with more explicit titles, in the next issue of GO. Maybe - Flight control, safety settings, prefernces (maybe in the respective folders as suggested?),video, foto, self test, diagnostic, fault log, flight log, or any other logical or suggested sections; all accessible from a PC directory like menu ehat we all use and can remember 'what is where;;. just an idea,,,,what think ye? Cheers and may yer drone not roam. (Or spank its arse and send it home, lol)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers