Saw someone crash, your thoughts?

I was picking up my kid after school letting him play there a bit. Pretty soon a family shows up in the field beside. My son age 6 is an avid droner so we both walked over and chatted. This family had a P4 and it was their first flight. It looked like a pretty stable machine compared to my P2V+ v3. I gave him a few beginner tips about flying backwards into things, etc. The guy was a pro fotographer with a telephoto scope on his tripod mounted DSRL.
Anyway my point in typing all this is the fellow said that if he crashed DJI would cover it because he got an extended warranty. Does anyone know anything about the warranty he was talking about? This is in Canada.

A friend bought some Insurance coverage on his P3a though Drones Plus. If he wrecked it all he needed was to bring the parts back and pay $100. They would replace it. No question asked. The biggest problem was you have to bring back the broken drone.

the fellow said that if he crashed DJI would cover it because he got an extended warranty. Does anyone know anything about the warranty he was talking about? This is in Canada.

We've got that coverage through DJI (I'm in Japan). I handle the flying side, not the business side, so I don't know how we got that, but I'm pretty sure it was on DJI's website.

If you analyze human behavior under stress, the first reaction is to REJECT, and the next is FIGHT. These are the first two of the 5 known sequential behaviors. Nothing new, he just reacted normally. :)
For phantom owners, add it is dji's fault . they should replace it with a new quad.

You don't see these type of behaviour among DIY or fpv 250 racers. Before you jumped to conclusion that DIY or 210 racers are cheap toys, many racers cost much more than P4. A custom cut frame costs in the range of few hundred to few thousand,

When I bought my P3A last summer, I had no RC experience at all. I spent several weeks, on and off, watching tutorials etc. I started slowly in beginners mode and worked my way up. I've never had a serious crash. Some folks start flying these things clueless.They spend a grand or more and often crash on their first flight. Not saying this post is the case, but could be he hadn't mastered the ability to fly these things before he started flying a sophisticated machine with all the tech to prevent these avoidable crashes. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Phill2
I laughed also!

I'm new to Phantom flying, and having only ever owned cheap Syma quads in the past do have a little sympathy for the guy. They are huge investments. I guess the moral of the story is it's always best to weigh up the feelings you'll get from 'showboating' against those that you get from an oversized, £1000, muddy, plastic paperweight.
Yes, the Phantom-grade drones are costly gadgets. Which is why any form of careless handling, such as described in this example, should be avoided. While it's one thing to go about looping the loop and emulating the Red Baron with a $50 Syma toy, I suppose if one has unlimited disposable cash it's okay to do that with a Phantom, but the average hobbyist who has more than a week's pay invested in his drone should treat it accordingly.

The new CSC/emergency stop is just for the P4 - no change for the P3.
The P4 should still shut down normally when you hand catch and use left stick down.
So, if a fully updated P4 controller is paired with a P3, CSC still works as it always has? Or, conversely, if a fully updated P3 controller is paired with a P4, the CSC/emergency stop requires the new method? What if that updated P3 controller is then repaired with a P3? Is the new CSC/emergency stop in the controller update only, or only in the P4 firmware, or it requires an updated controller paired with an updated P4 to be effective, such that it cannot yet work on any P3, regardless of which controller the P3 is paired with?

P4 takes a little longer to shutdown than the P3 with left stick held down. It struggles a little more, but is still handcatchable. Recommend approaching from the rear or side to handcatch, to avoid evasive OAS action, which could spell disaster in a tight area, as it moves away from you.

So, if a fully updated P4 controller is paired with a P3, CSC still works as it always has?
I don't have a P4 to test but I'd expect it's the bird that matters, not the controller.
The controller just sends the signal but if the Phantom isn't programmed to act on it, nothing drastic will happen.

I don't have a P4 to test but I'd expect it's the bird that matters, not the controller.
The controller just sends the signal but if the Phantom isn't programmed to act on it, nothing drastic will happen.
I thought I had read that the update was in the RC firmware, which is why I asked. Once it's in the RC, I was assuming it would apply to both aircraft, by simply converting the down throttle with RTH button press on the RC to the CSC/emergency stop signal from the RC that, when received by the aircraft in flight, shuts off the motors, and disabling the original functionality. The aircraft wouldn't care what stick button combination was used to send the signal. It's an important issue to resolve, as I prefer the original functionality, and don't want to pollute my P3 RC's with any P4 required RC updates that would change it, as I have both aircraft.

I was picking up my kid after school letting him play there a bit. Pretty soon a family shows up in the field beside. My son age 6 is an avid droner so we both walked over and chatted. This family had a P4 and it was their first flight. It looked like a pretty stable machine compared to my P2V+ v3. I gave him a few beginner tips about flying backwards into things, etc. The guy was a pro fotographer with a telephoto scope on his tripod mounted DSRL.
Anyway my point in typing all this is the fellow said that if he crashed DJI would cover it because he got an extended warranty. Does anyone know anything about the warranty he was talking about? This is in Canada.
DJI Care, it's on their website

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, the Phantom-grade drones are costly gadgets. Which is why any form of careless handling, such as described in this example, should be avoided. While it's one thing to go about looping the loop and emulating the Red Baron with a $50 Syma toy, I suppose if one has unlimited disposable cash it's okay to do that with a Phantom, but the average hobbyist who has more than a week's pay invested in his drone should treat it accordingly.
Is it even possible to do loop or flip with a Phantom?

I did a loop with my X8 by accident. It was built-in to do it. But it scare the sh@t out of me. So why would you want to do that with a $1000 hobby that is designed for taking pictures or video

It is possible with a P2 in Manual mode. Not sure if the earlier FC40 and P1 have this mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic