Saw someone crash, your thoughts?

I found a local group of guys flying their birds while we were visiting relatives. One had a Yuneec, 2 had P4's, and a P3A. Off to the side, further down the field, was a guy flying a beginner type QC and was left to himself. There was also some RC planes skirting around. I was just sitting back and didn't have mine at the time, but just watching them.

One of the guys wanted to be the center of attention with his P4, and was "showboating." He was about 100 feet up, flying backwards with the camera facing him. As he passed from his left to his right, and with the camera facing him to get that "fly away video," I noticed he was going faster, and his altitude was descending quickly. Then, it just went into the lawn dart mode and looked like a new gymnast trying do too many backflips, and tripping over an imaginary friend and it was scattering parts everywhere.

Everyone looked as he laid his controller down and he ran over to it. There was nothing to do because this thing was only good for a lawn ornament. He even got irked and kicked it a few more yards. The first thing he yells is; "F***ing DJI piece of crap!!!! They better replace this."

Here are my views was wondering your thoughts. And could I be correct in my assumptions, but I have a P3 and do not have P4, and are still learning to fly. I haven't done any modes like follow me, and will eventually, but I don't do anything stupid until I know I can handle it (if that makes sense.)

> Does the P4 have a CSC, like before when it will shut it down flying in reverse and descending?
> Do you encounter a lot of "showboaters?"
>I understand that DJI has customer service issues from what I have read. However, is it safe to assume that more often than not, many of the pilot error crashes are from doing something like what I saw? It was almost the moment he made it go into "tumble mode," he immediately blamed DJI for the crash.

Thanks...
Morgan I've seen a few crashes,none being a Phantom. two was like the drone had a mind of it's own. Just took off. Even I had bumped a truck landing. I'm not sure if it was me or ? I'm going to say me. No damage but the props.

I laughed when I read the original post but at the same time I felt bad for the guy turning it into scrap.

Showboating with anything that can harm someone is just reckless in my opinion.

The girl with green hair video again I laughed but felt bad for her.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I laughed when I read the original post but at the same time I felt bad for the guy turning it into scrap.

Showboating with anything that can harm someone is just reckless in my opinion.

The girl with green hair video again I laughed but felt bad for her.

You're a better person than I. For the first showboater, I felt like he got what he deserved for showing off. If I did the same thing, I'd have to suck it up and realize it was my own stupidity that was the deciding factor in grounding my bird.

For the second showboater (and yes, the YouTube gal is definitely that), she got lucky! The fact that she was so ignorant of her P4 and how to use it, yet escaped without harm was very lucky. We all make mistakes. I know I do. But I think there's a fine line somewhere between Oops! and Oh-you-dumb@$$! I think she is closer to the former than the latter. The fact that she can't use English properly (read her YT description) probably eliminates much sympathy from me.

Both were lucky that there were no injuries.

Your mentioning that he was at 100ft and ended up burying it in the ground certainly sounds like he was inexperienced and just "showing off". i believe many of the crashes reported on this forum are in fact pilot error, not all, but many. My crash several weeks ago almost went unreported to DJI as I was going to chalk it up as an accident without filing a warranty claim. If it wasn't for some of the members on this forum making suggestions including posting flight log, I was just going to toss it and buy another. Now that a replacement, compliments of DJI is scheduled to arrive via FedEx this Wednesday, I realized DJI will stand behind its products when one fails to perform as intended.
I agree

Saw a guy with a p4 today at the boardwalk in NJ. He was flying in 20mph winds, which is acceptable for a good pilot, but this dude was hanging at 30 feet over people and buzzing all over the place. He had a few admirers talking to him as he flew. Showboat guys are going to hurt someone sooner or later.

> Does the P4 have a CSC, like before when it will shut it down flying in reverse and descending?
The CSC you know so well doesn't shut down a P4 in flight.
They came up with a new one for the P4 that requires the operator to push the RTH button and hold the left stick down at the same time.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The CSC you know so well doesn't shut down a P4 in flight.
They came up with a new one for the P4 that requires the operator to push the RTH button and hold the left stick down at the same time.

That's unfortunate in a way. It eliminates hand-catch "landings". Of my two flights yesterday, both were hand-caught landings as wind had kicked up as well as people having gathered in the vicinity (wooded area, so limited open space). As I use a P3P, I don't have to worry about this yet, but the change could come via firmware update, I assume, to the older models. It would be nice if there was a way to configure one's own kill switch.

That's unfortunate in a way. It eliminates hand-catch "landings". Of my two flights yesterday, both were hand-caught landings as wind had kicked up as well as people having gathered in the vicinity (wooded area, so limited open space). As I use a P3P, I don't have to worry about this yet, but the change could come via firmware update, I assume, to the older models. It would be nice if there was a way to configure one's own kill switch.
FT you may be misunderstanding the CSC with just a normal shut down.

Last edited:
Reactions: FT in Japan
However, is it safe to assume that more often than not, many of the pilot error crashes are from doing something like what I saw? It was almost the moment he made it go into "tumble mode," he immediately blamed DJI for the crash.

Thanks...

I saw this as the guy knew what he was doing and the a/c crashed. The P4 crashed, and not that he crashed the P4.

If he was considered "show boating" would mean to me he was flying well enough not to be referred to as a complete idiot. But unless we had a copy of his flight log, there is no real reason to voice an opinion about something we know nothing about.

The new CSC/emergency stop is just for the P4 - no change for the P3.
The P4 should still shut down normally when you hand catch and use left stick down.

This one still makes me chuckle. It's a really good idea to at least know how to shut down a drone. It's also a good idea to to buy kids something other than a drone, in most cases.

This one still makes me chuckle. It's a really good idea to at least know how to shut down a drone. It's also a good idea to to buy kids something other than a drone, in most cases.

Put it down. Turn it off! Put it down. Turn it off! Turn it off! Turn it off!
Ah, dad. Do you regret this now?

Your mentioning that he was at 100ft and ended up burying it in the ground certainly sounds like he was inexperienced and just "showing off". i believe many of the crashes reported on this forum are in fact pilot error, not all, but many. My crash several weeks ago almost went unreported to DJI as I was going to chalk it up as an accident without filing a warranty claim. If it wasn't for some of the members on this forum making suggestions including posting flight log, I was just going to toss it and buy another. Now that a replacement, compliments of DJI is scheduled to arrive via FedEx this Wednesday, I realized DJI will stand behind its products when one fails to perform as intended.
I've also notice many people saying" My friend" when telling a story about a crash. I immediately know it's them. Keep an eye out and you will see that almost every crash story starts with" My friend was flying his drone and".. Lol

I keep coming back here, each time ending up in hysterical tear-jerking laughter :'-)

I've also notice many people saying" My friend" when telling a story about a crash. I immediately know it's them. Keep an eye out and you will see that almost every crash story starts with" My friend was flying his drone and".. Lol

If you read once again what I wrote, I said I was visiting relatives and saw some people at the area.

If you would review what I wrote, I said we were visiting relatives and saw it was a local RC club near their house. Never did I say "my friend," nor did I imply they were my friend(s). I also have a P3A and not a P4, and that is why I asked about the flight controls, out of curiosity. The gist of the post was if people who have seen crashes also hear people blaming DJI, and not their capabilities or trying to impress others.

I have no reason to even read about, or worry about a P4 because until I save enough money to buy one, there is no need to even worry about it. But either you wanted to assert your knowledge about everyone's "friend" actually being the pilot that crashed. I attached a copy of my P3A for you to see it is still intact.

Attachments

• P3A.jpg
    P3A.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 332

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member