Saving cached footage to my devices SD card.

Reaction score
Ok I've seen this topic covered before BUT everyone seems to misunderstand the intent of wanting to capture flight footage to your devices SD card instead of the devices local memory. So here is my typical scenerio:

I capture a scene and I want to review it immediately after I have shot it without having to pull it /download it from the drone (to save precious battery power). Why? So I can immediately shoot it again if it's not up to par. I know that I can go into my Galaxy S7 and pull up what I just shot and review it myself or with the client. BUT that footage is captured locally by default and the space on my 32GB phone fills up quickly depending on what rez/framerate I am shooting. I have a 64GB SD card in my phone and I want to be able to tell the DJI GO 4 app to save to the SD card location NOT the phones (or whatever device) local memory. I swear this was doable in the DJI GO app when I had a Phantom 4. But that seems to have changed with DJI GO 4 app now that I am using that with both my P4 Pro and my mavic.

Any clue as to if/how? I'm not looking for work arounds...I know how to DL from the drone...that's a time/battery killer and not an ideal option. Thanks!

I'm adding that yes I would also like to have footage saved on the SD to just show people what I've been filming. Again without having to go through a transfer process.

Last edited:
I'm not sure this applies to DJIGo images too, but have you tried to change this from the Phones camera app?
1. Open Camera App.
2. Tap the haptic "menu" button, to the left of the "Home" button".
3. Select "Settings"
4. Tap the gear icon on the top-right.
5. Scroll down to "Storage"
6. Select your external SD card.
Worth a try at least..

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App

I haven't seen an option on the GO app to specify where to gosave real time video recordings. I'd be interested in that option too.
At least for the P3, real time recordings are 720p 30fps at compression rate suitable for the signal level and mobile capabilities.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm not sure this applies to DJIGo images too, but have you tried to change this from the Phones camera app?
1. Open Camera App.
2. Tap the haptic "menu" button, to the left of the "Home" button".
3. Select "Settings"
4. Tap the gear icon on the top-right.
5. Scroll down to "Storage"
6. Select your external SD card.
Worth a try at least..

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App
appreciate that but the phone camera settings have nothing to do with the DJI Go App and where it saves footage. I know this because all my phone camera shots already go to my SD card.

Last edited:
One work around while still not ideal but doable from the phone (in this case a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) is to go to My Files - device storage - DJI -dji.go.v4 - DJI_RECORD, long press any file, check mark any OR all files, click MORE - Move -SD card. here you can choose an existing folder or Create folder then click DONE. It will transfer the files to your SD card and will be visible in your Gallery for review. It really only takes a minute.

Reactions: Loz
Still a pain to have to do, but should have thought of that when app said I reached cache setting limit.
Then I could have kept what I had pending transfer and still get more recordings.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

It is a pity that Mavic doesn't have an easy solution for that. I get it, they want to use the speedy internal storage but at least having an option to move it automatically later onto the external drive would be a easy and convenient solution.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers