Save your money kids... (If you're a P3 owner)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the owner of a P1, P2 non vision, and P3P, I'm very excited about the new features on the P4 and plan on adding one this summer to my hangar.

For me is missing a retractable landing gear to avoid the gear getting in shots
The motors are raised a bit in the P4. DJI said they did that to prevent/reduce this problem.

I bet they make them for around $560. Apple does the same thing, it cost if I remember correctly $212 for them to make an iPhone 5s when it first came out and they were selling for $650 for the 16gb version, then $750 for the 32gb and $850 for the 64gb but it only cost them $225 to make the 32gb and $238 to make the 64gb so they were making 303%, 333%, and 357% profit respectively.

This is false. If you search around, the actual profit margin on an iPhone 6 is around 16%.
The cost of manufacturing is indeed low, but you're not accounting for R&D, stores, employees, marketing and so many other things.
Those things don't appear from thin air for free.

I like the new P4 but I have been thinking of upgrading my P3A to P3P because I have been doing more FPV flying and the 2 mb/sec rate on the P3A is annoying (didn't know that limitation when I bought it).

I waited around until the P4 announcement to decide on whether to get the P4 or get a P3P since they are much cheaper now and I went with getting a P3P.

The new features are cool but I'd like to wait a few months to see how things play out. I expect DJI to release a newer and updated P4 within the next year or so based on whatever they learn (similar to the P3 having new motors, new shell, etc. from the original release).

But if I didn't already own a Phantom 3, I'd jump at a P4.

its seems like many of the same people are posting negative stuff about the P4 over and over and its not even out yet. lots of speculation and rationalization.

when they see the kids on the block with a P4 dodging, weaving and speeding by, they're going to be jelly ;)

Reactions: QuadBart
I noticed on one of the p4 videos you can also still see the props..

If I see a kid on my block with one then he's lost it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

5 minutes flight difference? Just buy another 10 p3 batteries. Four hours extra flight time for £400 less....
It's more to the drone then just 5 mins. That track feature looks awesome. Let alone avoidance. Look at all the features. Not just one aspect. It will be my next drone next year. I will stay a year behind. No I have two. Standard and pro. Just got pro from everyone jumping on p4 bandwagon. Sweet. Looking forward to taking the puppy long now.

I noticed on one of the p4 videos you can also still see the props.
Yes, sir. If you fly a flying camera like a racing drone, you can still probably get the props in the camera's view.

its seems like many of the same people are posting negative stuff about the P4 over and over and its not even out yet. lots of speculation and rationalization.

when they see the kids on the block with a P4 dodging, weaving and speeding by, they're going to be jelly ;)

Back in the P1 and P2 days, you really didn't have a much of a choice. Today it makes sense to be cautious what the upgrades are and see if the many other manufacturers have something better to offer. I personally like the direction Yuneec is going in.

It does have many strong points though:
  • Larger battery (people always want to fly longer)
  • Obstacle avoidance (many people are crashing into obstacles)
  • Locking prop system (P3 props sometimes fly off when installed incorrectly)
  • Many nice design improvements (e.g. redesigned gimbal)
Minus the new tracking features, it seems DJI really hit the nail on the head issue-wise.

Does the new tracking feature not work well, or did you just mean you wont use it? There is a program called vertical studio out, and you basically draw a box around the subject you want to track and it keeps the camera focused on them. I beta tested it and it works pretty well assuming the P3 is high enough, but at lower altitudes its harder to keep the subject in frame because of the angle so it seemed to struggle at around 15ft or under. It is pretty hard for me to control the camera and craft well enough to keep a moving object framed so I was hoping their implementation would be good is why I am asking. IMO, to be fair you have to compare release price to release price, so $1259 to $1399 is only $140 difference for a bunch of good stuff. Also, did you try the tap to fly feature yet?

Does the new tracking feature not work well, or did you just mean you wont use it?
Only time will tell really. I just meant it was not a common problem for P3 owners.

+1

I was just noticing that.... Same negative comments or "justifications for not buying a P4" from the same people......

This is false. If you search around, the actual profit margin on an iPhone 6 is around 16%.
The cost of manufacturing is indeed low, but you're not accounting for R&D, stores, employees, marketing and so many other things.
I guess you are right, I was comparing cost to manufacture to sales without taking into account the things you mentioned however, I was not talking about the iphone 6.

As the owner of a P1, P2 non vision, and P3P, I'm very excited about the new features on the P4 and plan on adding one this summer to my hangar.
By Hangar, do you mean Garage, or kitchen table? My "Hangar" is the hall closet haha

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I see the upgrade more from my P2+ vision. Had this now for a while - get another few months flying (let the P4 bugs get squared away) then maybe upgrade. Almost brought the P3pro a few months back, glad I waited...

At least DJI don't have to pay much for after sales support staff... I think monkeys work for bananas...

if I owned a P3P or even a P3A, I probably wouldn't have as much of an itch to get the P4. as a P3S owner, I really, really want it. I've been wanting better range and maybe I should have gotten an advanced or pro from the get-go. but now I want light-bridge. and I want object tracking.

so basically, I'm planning on getting it because I don't currently have a model with light-bridge. but it sucks that I already have 3 batteries that won't work on the P4.

Not necessarily. The object image recognition and other features are going to be a processing power hog when used.
I would not expect flight times more than a couple minutes longer than P3.
I agree and if your in sport mode it will probably be like 20 min or less

If I didn't have the opportunity to return my P3P for full price and put that towards a P4, I'd be in the same boat. By returning my P3P I'm turning a 1400 dollar upgrade into something like a 150 dollar upgrade. Which is way more doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj