satellites drop slightly when recording video - SOLVED

Re: satellites drop slightly when recording video

Gr8Chef said:
RPA said:
Excellent!!! I hope the copper stuff I ordered yesterday is as effective!

RPA - have you test your copper tape mod yet?

Do you think this will do the job: http://amzn.com/B00EQ25KKI
Then, apply a layer of duct tape to prevent shorting?

Thanx

I've just walked in and found it has been delivered. I'm hoping to fit it tonight.

That said, the aluminum stuff seem to be working fine and is easier to get hold of so I'd go with that.

I would not use duct tape , it's to heavy , light brown packing tape would be a lot lighter, even paper would be lighter.

Mori55 said:
I would not use duct tape , it's to heavy , light brown packing tape would be a lot lighter, even paper would be lighter.

Just curios. Does the extra weight if duct tape really effect the phantom?

I'm in the middle of my upgrade. Can someone confirm that the cable in the photo should NOT be unplugged (which was I found it).

It looks like the other end of a wifi coax cable?! See pic

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404759690.432748.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404759690.432748.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 441
satellites drop slightly when recording video

Ok. This is not at all scientific because my last test was done at around 120ft and in flight.

However. In my back garden with <40% sky. 6 satellites with no video and 6 satellites WITH video.

I'm a happy man.

(also discovered what I think was a disconnected wifi antennae cable which is now reconnected).

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404761896.085800.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404761896.085800.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 466
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404761905.857065.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404761905.857065.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 395
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404761915.255780.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404761915.255780.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 446

Just a though for anyone else considering this.

Why not try wrapping foil around the GPS cable only before you do what the rest of us have done.

It may well be just as effective without most of the additional weight (which I realize is pretty negligible) gain.

RPA said:
Just a though for anyone else considering this.

Why not try wrapping foil around the GPS cable only before you do what the rest of us have done.

It may well be just as effective without most of the additional weight (which I realize is pretty negligible) gain.

I've done both,
also the small piece of cable. :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 395

Cloudconnect said:
Mori55 said:

Just curios. Does the extra weight if duct tape really effect the phantom?

Oh wow - I've just done this mod and it's really made a difference!!

Same spot in the back garden could barely get 5 satellites and would never get a proper lock. Now however within 1 minute I managed to get 7 satellites and a proper single green flash (always had at least one red flash in Naza mode)! Too late to try flying now, but I bet I'll get more than the usual 8 satellites!

My first attempt involved using Kitchen Foil along with paper to prevent shorts. Unfortunately that seemed to make it worse as the Phantom had 0 satellites for about a min, making me think I'd broken something, but eventually it found 4, and no more. :)

Off to Screwfix I went - so for the UK guys the following worked a treat: http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-a ... -45m/50629 - the 72mm wide tape was ideal as two strips cut down to fit near the arms meant no overlapping was required (see pics). Then to top off I applied a square piece to the middle (resulting in 3 layers of foil over the GPS module), and sealed it all in using this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-c ... tid=318625

Best ... Mod ... Ever (in my opinion) given that I experienced a loss of GPS whilst in the air over the weekend and saw my Phantom start to float away in the wind. Luckily it wasn't far away and could steer back, so this mod should stop such things happening again! :)

Attachments

• IMG_2027.JPG
    IMG_2027.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 1,104
  • IMG_2029.JPG
    IMG_2029.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 1,133
  • IMG_2030.JPG
    IMG_2030.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 1,166
  • IMG_2033.JPG
    IMG_2033.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 1,083

Love it.
Quick, easy and effective.
Worth doing if you like to take off in narrow areas.
There is a less chance that your bird will flick to ATTI when sats are 6 or less.

Followed the drone expert and tucked the cable under the copper shield.
GPS%20Foil%20Mod.jpg

Results:
5-6 sats which took 3 minutes. Now 7 under a minute.
GPS%20foil%20mod.png

RPA said:
I'm in the middle of my upgrade. Can someone confirm that the cable in the photo should NOT be unplugged (which was I found it).

It looks like the other end of a wifi coax cable?! See pic

Confirmed... that cable should NOT be unplugged... that is one of your wifi antennas ... you really need that when you get out there and start rotating the Phantom... having that unplugged will give you a huge dead spot on one side of the quad.

I've just tested my copper sheet solution and I'm a little disappointed.

As illustrated in my previous screen shots, satellites were dropping by around 5 or so when the video was turned on. Now, with copper sheet shielding they are dropping by 2 or 3.

OK, so it's an improvement, and tonight I had 10 satellites without video but on a day when I'm maxed out at 7 or 8 I could still see it lose it's positional hold.

Can anyone help by commenting on the merits of Aluminium over Copper in this scenario? Does Aluminium shield EMI better?

I'm inclined to peel off the copper sheet and replace it with aluminium.

RPA said:

As illustrated in my previous screen shots, satellites were dropping by around 5 or so when the video was turned on. Now, with copper sheet shielding they are dropping by 2 or 3.

OK, so it's an improvement, and tonight I had 10 satellites without video but on a day when I'm maxed out at 7 or 8 I could still see it lose it's positional hold.

Can anyone help by commenting on the merits of Aluminium over Copper in this scenario? Does Aluminium shield EMI better?

Did you tuck the cabling under the OEM DJI shielding as per the Dronexpert vid?

How much does it move around ? They do move around a little . Some days it oscillates more than others.

I just ordered "Scotch Aluminum Foil Tape 3311 Silver, 2 in x 10 yd 3.6 mil" on Amazon...........I think all that is necessary is a metal/foil material with a sticky substrate to hold the foil shield in place.....the reviews indicated feedback sheilding for guitars, which should emit similar EM noise.

I will make the mod when the material arrives and post the results.......

Great Work Guys!

I've been emailing DJI with this problem and they have been no help, I have been having this problem with my PV2+ only, to the point I would lose GPS lock mid flight :shock: ! My PV2 never had this problem
I love the tenacity and solving capability of this community!!

Mako79 said:
RPA said:

Did you tuck the cabling under the OEM DJI shielding as per the Dronexpert vid?

Yes. Exactly as the vid.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic