Satellite issue. Help pleaseeeee

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I'm going to buy a phantom 3 standard but I'm not sure because I don't know how many satellites I will have. Is there anyway to know the number of satellites around without the drone??
I'll be really thankful if you answer me.

I use an app called UAV Forecast. It tells you how many satellites your device is locked on to, as well as weather and solar activity.

The standard doesn't use all of the GPS signals your phone does, but in my experience, I usually get about half of what the app tells me when using my P3S.

Right now UAV FORECAST says I have 16 satellites locked. I would probably have 8 or 9 on the Phantom.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Hi guys.
I'm going to buy a phantom 3 standard but I'm not sure because I don't know how many satellites I will have. Is there anyway to know the number of satellites around without the drone??
Don't worry .. you'll have plenty of satellites.
GPS is a Global, all-weather navigation system that works everywhere.
The app you fly with will display the number of sats you are connected to.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I use an app called UAV Forecast. It tells you how many satellites your device is locked on to, as well as weather and solar activity.

The standard doesn't use all of the GPS signals your phone does, but in my experience, I usually get about half of what the app tells me when using my P3S.

Right now UAV FORECAST says I have 16 satellites locked. I would probably have 8 or 9 on the Phantom.
thanks for the app. I downloaded it and it says 14.7 sats I'm locked on. I don't t know whats the ".7" mean but I think 7-8 sats for phantom is not really fine. Am I right?

thanks for the app. I downloaded it and it says 14.7 sats I'm locked on. I don't t know whats the ".7" mean but I think 7-8 sats for phantom is not really fine. Am I right?

You are misunderstanding how GPS works, I think. The constellation of 31 GPS satellites is not stationary - they are in medium-earth orbit at around 20,000 km (12 hour orbit) and distributed to provide complete global coverage. The number that you see at any one time varies by location and level of unobstructed visibility of the sky. In addition to the GPS system, the Russian GLONASS system has another 24 positioning satellites that P3 and newer aircraft can also use.

You will not see any different average availability of satellite positioning than anyone else - it is not location dependent.

You are misunderstanding how GPS works, I think. The constellation of 31 GPS satellites is not stationary - they are in medium-earth orbit at around 20,000 km (12 hour orbit) and distributed to provide complete global coverage. The number that you see at any one time varies by location and level of unobstructed visibility of the sky. In addition to the GPS system, the Russian GLONASS system has another 24 positioning satellites that P3 and newer aircraft can also use.

You will not see any different average availability of satellite positioning than anyone else - it is not location dependent.

I believe GPS satellites are in geo-stationary orbit ..........:)

Thanks a looooooooooot
Awesome answer. Thanks alot again

Reactions: sar104

I didn't think the P3S could use the GLONASS satellites.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik