Satellite image of local area out of date

Reaction score
hi! Is there any way I can update the satellite images used by phantom 4 DJI Go app on an ipad ? I'm assuming DJI uses either google or apple maps in the app, but the image - satellite and hybrid - are ancient (5-6 years old). Admittedly, I live in a rural area outside Windhoek, Namibia, so this is probably not too pressing a demand on the mapping guys?

Apple devices use Apple maps. There is no way to update the maps.

I have an Android device that uses Google maps and an Apple device that uses Apple maps.. The Apple maps are a couple of years out of date.. Google just updated their maps of my area this summer.

This is in a rural setting.

Reactions: Tatejoris
Rural area here and the maps on DJI Go Ap are old but when I fire up Litchi it's a relatively current map. We built our house a few years ago (Been in the house over 2 years now) and the DJI Go Ap is still showing our land with no house.

Apparently Litchi uses different maps than the DJI Go Ap (this is on an iPad and iPhone 6S).

Reactions: Tatejoris
Thank you for your comments! I guess if enough folks report outdated images to Apple via their Maps app, they may get their partners TomTom and others to hurry up already and deliver newer images. if this doesn't pan out, I guess I can always try using an android device with google maps.

Autopilot had the ability for you to use your own maps. If you fly in that same spot often enough, you may find it worth the effort to do so.
By default Autopilot uses Google Maps which were horrible in an area I needed to fly in.

This webpage shows a couple of before and after screenshots from the actual app. The before is the public ally available google imagery for the area. The after is a map created using a P3P, drone deploy software on the drone and Pix4dmapper software on an iMac. It was neither quick nor easy to do - but the end result is incredible!
http://vaudorne.com/portfolio-samples/sample-golf-course-western-trent/

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic