Sank my P3P (Lessons learned)

Reaction score
So that didn't take me long. Went out to film a customers sailboat and tried to hand launch it, hit the sail, hit the water and gone daddy gone. Dove in after it but couldn't find it.

Lessons Learned
  1. Practice hand launches on land first.
  2. Make sure that when it takes off you know which way it is pointing. I'd gotten so used to taking off on land and flying straight up and then checking my orientation that I didn't do this and never had a chance to.
  3. Should have launched and immediately been flying away from the boat.
  4. Should have had a GetterBack on it so I could retrieve it and file a claim on the damage insurance I bought for it (hard to claim something that you no longer have possession of)
Only had 68.1 flights on it. Had a ton of fun with it. Hopefully Davy Jones enjoys flying it around. Now back to saving up to get another one. Hmmmm, P3P or P4...........

Francisco

Reactions: Mike_Flys
OUCH! Sorry to hear about this. That sucks but hopefully someone will learn from it reading your post about it.

Lot's of potential for "Uh Ohs" when flying from water, from a boat, and from unfamiliar terrain (roof of a boat for example). It's always best to practice the technique in a familiar settings that way when it goes LIVE you have one less "new" variable to deal with.

Also flying over water (especially like this) you want to utilize the Getter Back device. Even a quick "dunk" will probably brick your machine but with that you might get some components you can salvage for later use. It's worth a try.

You could waterproof your drone with liquipel.

Liquipel

You ship it to them, they coat all the internals, everything, and ship it back to you.

Here's an announcement directly from LiquiPel back in February 2016:

February 29 ·
Announcement!

Apologies for the delayed response.

Liquipel has been expanding to introduce new and exciting products for 2016. As of December 1st, 2015, Liquipel stopped treating consumer electronic devices. We are now working directly with manufacturers in various different business lines prior to customer purchase.

Reactions: Sky Architect
Here's an announcement directly from LiquiPel back in February 2016:

February 29 ·
Announcement!

Apologies for the delayed response.

Liquipel has been expanding to introduce new and exciting products for 2016. As of December 1st, 2015, Liquipel stopped treating consumer electronic devices. We are now working directly with manufacturers in various different business lines prior to customer purchase.
Ahh..
Well I have been made aware! Thank you.

Ahh..
Well I have been made aware! Thank you.

I only found out because I wanted to send my new iPhone to them to get this service done.

On the flip side I heard through the grapevine that they have "3rd party" companies who are setting up to do this for them. Hopefully we can find out more about this. I've contacted the company directly to get some guidance from them.

Reactions: Sky Architect
I only found out because I wanted to send my new iPhone to them to get this service done.

On the flip side I heard through the grapevine that they have "3rd party" companies who are setting up to do this for them. Hopefully we can find out more about this. I've contacted the company directly to get some guidance from them.

If you find out please share, I would love to have a rain proof phantom, at the very least.

Reactions: BigAl07
Just my 2 cents worth. There is a product called "Strike Hold" that I saw at a gun show a few years back. There was a guy there demonstrating its ability to shield against water. The demonstration was a bare light socket (with all the metal screws and wire exposed) that had been sprayed with the stuff, along with a light bulb, in an aquarium underwater and lit up. I don't think I'd like to be the one to test it on a phantom, but I was impressed by the demonstration anyway.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: BigAl07
I didn't imply that. But if she splashes and you GetterBack, maybe not so much damage to the components. Maybe none at all! :)
Sorry didn't mean to imply that you meant it did... Just pointing out the obvious. I think water proofing and getterBacks are good together.

Reactions: Great_Lakes
So that didn't take me long. Went out to film a customers sailboat and tried to hand launch it, hit the sail, hit the water and gone daddy gone. Dove in after it but couldn't find it.

Lessons Learned
  1. Practice hand launches on land first.
  2. Make sure that when it takes off you know which way it is pointing. I'd gotten so used to taking off on land and flying straight up and then checking my orientation that I didn't do this and never had a chance to.
  3. Should have launched and immediately been flying away from the boat.
  4. Should have had a GetterBack on it so I could retrieve it and file a claim on the damage insurance I bought for it (hard to claim something that you no longer have possession of)
Only had 68.1 flights on it. Had a ton of fun with it. Hopefully Davy Jones enjoys flying it around. Now back to saving up to get another one. Hmmmm, P3P or P4...........

Francisco
Take a look at RC711 they sell p3 with out remote!

Reactions: Mike_Flys

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.