Samsung Gear VR + Phantom 4

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

First off - Happy Holidays to you all.

Second, I recently came across a pair of Samsung Gear VR goggles and have been searching high and low for a definitive "yes, it works and here is how you do it" type of article/video. I know this topic has been beaten to death but I was wondering if anyone out there is currently using this combination and if so, if there is a way to pull it off without defacing the unit (drilling holes, etc).

I did find one thread here where someone mentioned you could simply remove the USB connection (from the VR unit) using a needle nose pliers, but I'm afraid to try. The short of it is, is it possible to make this work without breaking the VR unit (meaning, no longer can watch movies, videos, etc)? Or, do I essentially need to choose if I want to use these only for flying and nothing else.

I am an avid Litchi user by the way so this would be the app I am using. Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge + is the device in play. Just looking for info on how to successfully seat the phone and run the cable from the remote to the phone.

Thanks!

If you don't want to modify Samsung gear, get a cheap $30 VR, you will enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've used my gear vr 1x and you can just put a piece of cardboard in it so the phone doesn't connect into the USB on the side. They work fine as long as you don't push the USB all the way in. When you do that the Samsung stuff starts up on the phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T807A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Would prefer not to mod them. Any particular goggles you would recommend looking at?

Sent from my SM-G928V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Most of them are same, read reviews on amazing and pick one for your phone.

Here is one that looks good to me but costs only $15

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H...vr+goggles&dpPl=1&dpID=51VxrqibtqL&ref=plSrch

There are some goggles with Bluetooth remote to click on the screen. Look at them too.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi Folks,

First off - Happy Holidays to you all.

Second, I recently came across a pair of Samsung Gear VR goggles and have been searching high and low for a definitive "yes, it works and here is how you do it" type of article/video. I know this topic has been beaten to death but I was wondering if anyone out there is currently using this combination and if so, if there is a way to pull it off without defacing the unit (drilling holes, etc).

I did find one thread here where someone mentioned you could simply remove the USB connection (from the VR unit) using a needle nose pliers, but I'm afraid to try. The short of it is, is it possible to make this work without breaking the VR unit (meaning, no longer can watch movies, videos, etc)? Or, do I essentially need to choose if I want to use these only for flying and nothing else.

I am an avid Litchi user by the way so this would be the app I am using. Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge + is the device in play. Just looking for info on how to successfully seat the phone and run the cable from the remote to the phone.

Thanks!
You can download package disabler Pro and turn off the Oculus software so you can then use the VR without that starting. I use it with my p2v+ and Litchi

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: InforGuy
You can download package disabler Pro and turn off the Oculus software so you can then use the VR without that starting. I use it with my p2v+ and Litchi

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Thank you for the feedback. I actually just downloaded and installed something similar last night that allowed me to bypass Oculus and run cardboard apps so it solved one of my problems. However, there is still the issue with being able to run a micro usb to the phone. Curious how you are doing this? I have a 90 degree usb cable arriving today I hope will resolve. I stumbled upon an old article where someone had photos and it looks like it may work.

I tried the same thing as you are doing. I have a Gear VR and P3A I bought a 90 degree micro mini. I moved the sliders out on the Gear VR and even trimmed off the outside layer of the micro mini cable and it still wouldn't fit. I have a galaxy S7 edge I guess my phone its just to big to work. If you figure it out please let me know...
Randy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4