Safety Survey

Reaction score
I would like your help. Safety is my number one issue with drones. Last year I was learning to fly my Parrot AR. Drone that I had fitted with carbon fiber blades. I was doing a simple take off and landing in the living room to impress a friend. I was hovering and accidentally hit the "Home" button. Instead of a soft landing the AR Drone took off from a distance of about 10' from me and came right at my face. As I was trying to deflect it, the carbon fiber blade put a gash on my left eye, just missing my eyeball. I don't know about you, but that really soured my experience and nearly put out my eye.

I had every intention of taking the money I had saved to start a Real Estate Photography company. Instead I became afraid of the drone. A friend purchased a Phantom from DJI and had a very similar experience on his very first flight.

Oddly enough I became so fascinated with the industry that started to look for solutions to the danger of any multi-rotor with plastic or carbon fiber blades. I came up with what I affectionately call DroneKone. It is complete and substantial propeller protection to help make drones safer.

I started a small company with my limited funds and developed a model of my concept. I was able to get a provisional patent on my safety device. Then I had a devastating life event and was out of action for a year. I have recovered. I don't have any funding at this point except out of my pocket and started seeking funding. I was told by a potential investor that I needed to survey 100 people to find out if my product is market worthy.

Okay enough story. Simple Survey for Safety:

1. Yes or No Are you concerned about drones flying around Children?
  2. Yes or No Do you have a concern about your personal safety when flying a drone?
  3. Yes or No If a safety device was available would you consider purchasing it?
  4. What would a safety device look like to you if you could design one?
  5. How much would you pay for a safety cage if one was available when you purchase your drone.
I greatly appreciate you reading this far and ask for help. If this is just plain stupid, then I would like to know that now, before I spend any money on moving further.

Thank you so much for listening. I am grateful to be a small part of this awesome community.

bob

- Yes. But keep in mind that impact and falling are a big part of the equation.
- No. My other hobbies are 100x more risky.
- Yes. Depends how it impacts flight and what benefits it honestly has.
- I'm most interested in a reliable, light, and cheap parachute system.
- Safety cage? Regular prop guards already suck so I don't see myself flying with anything heavier and bigger.

Phantoms 1,000,000 better than am AR Drone. I have both.

1. No Are you concerned about drones flying around Children? Only careless people
  2. No Do you have a concern about your personal safety when flying a drone?
  3. No If a safety device was available would you consider purchasing it?
  4. What would a safety device look like to you if you could design one? Parachute
  5. How much would you pay for a safety cage if one was available when you purchase your drone. Safety cage?

Number one in my book is I don't fly indoors. Number two I don't fly around people and number three I don't fly over people and number four Safety is always before number one.

I use a X5c for when I want to have fun - you really have to try to hurt yourself with that one. I keep my P2v+ far away from anyone, so I don't see the need for adding the weight of any type of guards.

- Safety cage? Regular prop guards already suck so I don't see myself flying with anything heavier and bigger.

Witold,

Thank you for your post. 5 down and 95 to go.

Phantoms 1,000,000 better than am AR Drone. I have both.

1. No Are you concerned about drones flying around Children? Only careless people
  2. No Do you have a concern about your personal safety when flying a drone?
  3. No If a safety device was available would you consider purchasing it?
  4. What would a safety device look like to you if you could design one? Parachute
  5. How much would you pay for a safety cage if one was available when you purchase your drone. Safety cage?
Lord Evil. Thank you for your reply. Parachute seems to be a big concern. Also weight and propeller protection. 6 of 100.

I use a X5c for when I want to have fun - you really have to try to hurt yourself with that one. I keep my P2v+ far away from anyone, so I don't see the need for adding the weight of any type of guards.

Vanyo,

Do you fly professionally or as a hobbyist? The X5c is very small. The P2v+ is an excellent bird.
Thank you for responding to my survey. 7 of 100

Number one in my book is I don't fly indoors. Number two I don't fly around people and number three I don't fly over people and number four Safety is always before number one.

RoyVa, Excellent. Not everyone is a concerned about safety as you are. Thanks for knowing that quads can cause harm to themselves and others.

Vanyo,

Do you fly professionally or as a hobbyist? The X5c is very small. The P2v+ is an excellent bird.
Thank you for responding to my survey. 7 of 100

Officially, hobbyist. 99% of my flights happen to be around my wife's real estate listings though. I use the X5c to chase the kid and dog around the house; they love it, and it does help my flying skills with the P2V+.

1. Yes. They toss balls, friebee's and shoot waterguns at whatever they find fit.
2. No.
3. It depends on what kind it is. And its weight.
4. a. Sensors to detect impact at high speed, if so engaging halt of all motors.
5. -

1. Yes, if I flew around children, I usually don't Are you concerned about drones flying around Children?
  2. Yes, but never had an incident. Do you have a concern about your personal safety when flying a drone?
  3. No, not for the type of flying I do, but I could see the value of such a device if one I was filming staged shots over crowds or indoors. I'm a recreational flyer and have no need. If a safety device was available would you consider purchasing it?
  4. Obstacle avoidance system. What would a safety device look like to you if you could design one?
  5. Hmmm, not sure.... How much would you pay for a safety cage if one was available when you purchase your drone.

Is that a prototype you have as your avatar? It is an interesting design. I don't see much need for hobbyists to have an enclosed cage, unless they film a lot of family events with small children around. As drones become faster and their uses increase, I can imagine their may be some applications where an enclosed cage, maybe coupled with obstacle avoidance, would be a needed safety feature. It might wise to pursue a patent on such a device, IMO. But again, I don't see much of a need for most hobby class pilots.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj