Safety stuff for P3A

Reaction score
I placed an order for a P3A this past weekend. DJI processing and shipping seems to be kind of slow so it hasn't even shipped yet but I'm assuming that it will ship soon and hopefully I'll have it sometime next week.

I have been flying RC type helicopters and cheap quadcopters for a few years although I would guess that my flight time is still pretty low (maybe a few hours). I fly them on and off, etc.

I tend to be pretty conservative and careful so I rarely crash but I have crashed my other stuff many times while trying to fly them in the house (it rains here a lot and gets dark early in the winter). I crashed my quadcopter once outside because its a cheap unit that drifts a lot (no auto-hover, auto take off, auto landing, etc.) and it was a time when I was a bit flustered because the direction was off and the wind blew it into a tree...when I tried to course correct, I got confused and went the wrong direction. So I'm still a relative newbie I guess.

It looks like there are a lot of safety products after-market that are available. Are any of these things worth getting? i'm thinking of stuff like:

propeller guards - I would probably get the removable ones so that I can store my P3A easily in the hardcase backpack

gimbal protector - Gimbal guards are cheaper but seems risky in terms of VPS, a protector seems useful but at $30-$50 not sure if it's worth it

But I also figure that if this stuff were important, maybe dji would include this stuff?

A GPS tracker is an accessory I'd consider before the other things you mentioned. Your Phantom probably won't fly away. But, if it does, it could be a total loss if you're not able to find it.

Welcome to the forum .
Crashing is part of learning with those older birds . The phantom is a dream to fly you will love it .
As far as prop guards go probably not a bad idea until you get use to it I don't like them but many here use them better to be safe than sorry can save you on props .
The gimbal guard I can not speak on I do not own a P3 I have a couple of older phantoms I'm sure someone will chime in on that .
We have a good group of people here . Do a little searching we have a P3 section take a look at some threads read the manual ask questions watch some YT vids take it slow .
Be safe and have fun

Welcome!!

I'm using prop guards, but no so much for safety. Get 2 pairs of different contrasting colors (eg: Red/White).
This really helps when your flying 200 ft up, and trying to maintain orientation. I have the red pair on the back,
white on the front... I know for the most part whether I'm coming or going at a glance, which helps with steering input.

If you're flying mostly outdoors, the GPS keeps you stable, so the Gimbal Guard doesn't interfere with
flight at all, but does add some strength to the landing skids. I like it... I'm still a newb to the hobby, and
the biggest safety tip I can give is go slow... get your drone above any close by obstacles first, and stay above
them until you're ready to land. Practice on grass, not concrete.

Indoor flight was permanently cancelled by the Wife the moment I throttled up and the Christmas Cards flew
off the shelf all over the room.... oops... my bad!

I'm using prop guards, but no so much for safety. Get 2 pairs of different contrasting colors (eg: Red/White). This really helps when your flying 200 ft up, and trying to maintain orientation. I have the red pair on the back, white on the front... I know for the most part whether I'm coming or going at a glance
Reflective tape will help with orientation too if you wrap it around the landing gear.

Thanks for the tips! I have propeller guard on my cheap quad and it has helped a lot but I don't expect to crash much if at all with the phantom 3 because it just flies so much easier.

I have been watching hours of yt videos so I feel ready...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4