Safest way to fly around my house/ RTH.

Reaction score
I'd like to take some photos of my roof and get some footage around my house. I'm worried that if I take off from my driveway and lose RC connection around/above my house that the P3 will be within the RTH radius and just land itself (possibly on my roof).

I'm thinking the safest thing to do is to start maybe 150m away in a nearby park and fly it to my house. That way if the connection is lost or if RTH is initiated it will climb to my RTH height and go back to the park. Is this what you guys would do? Is there any method I should consider?

Why would you lose RC connection at such a short range? I fly around my house all the time. I have never lost RC connections. Starting a long way away would only make the problem more likely.

I'd like to take some photos of my roof and get some footage around my house
Are you referring to actually flying around your house? If so, you'll want to make sure your remote controller is always in direct line of sight with your Phantom.

I'm thinking the safest thing to do is to start maybe 150m away
You only need to be more than 20m away. I'd go about 30m just to ensure you're beyond the 20m range.

I have over 100 flights never have lost RC connection. If you are a new pilot I suggest you practice in a open field and get to know your Phantom. So your next post is not a oh my God I crashed entry

I have over 100 flights never have lost RC connection. If you are a new pilot I suggest you practice in a open field and get to know your Phantom. So your next post is not a oh my God I crashed entry
I totally agree. After 50+ flights, I have only lost RC connection 1 or 2 times, always a long way away from where I was standing. I have never flown out more than 1500 ft (too chicken), so it always stays in RC contact. FPV, that is another story.

Check under rth settings with the latest version of the app and firmware.

Should be a "hold" option as well as the regular rth and auto land option. That'd be your best bet if you're concerned.

Direct LoS, keep in mind that digital phones, microwave ovens may have an effect on the signal quality, especially any compass calculations. Probably a good idea to use prop guards to keep the bird safe and also if it decides to go kamikaze as the props cause a lot of damage.

Why would you lose RC connection at such a short range? I fly around my house all the time. I have never lost RC connections. Starting a long way away would only make the problem more likely.

Most likely I will not have LOS for some of the footage.

Not a new pilot, but I do most of my flights in large open areas or around the coastline. I am not sure exactly how much obstruction will cause me to lose RC but if I'm on one side of the house and my P3 is on the other side, outiside of LOS I just want to make sure it doesn't decide to auto land.

Check under rth settings with the latest version of the app and firmware.

Should be a "hold" option as well as the regular rth and auto land option. That'd be your best bet if you're concerned.

I considered that but figured it would ultimately be safer to have true RTH as a backup in case I lost the connection permanently for some reason.

I'd like to take some photos of my roof and get some footage around my house. I'm worried that if I take off from my driveway and lose RC connection around/above my house that the P3 will be within the RTH radius and just land itself (possibly on my roof).

I'm thinking the safest thing to do is to start maybe 150m away in a nearby park and fly it to my house. That way if the connection is lost or if RTH is initiated it will climb to my RTH height and go back to the park. Is this what you guys would do? Is there any method I should consider?
If you are going to get close to a pitched roof then you should make sure VPS is turned off because when you get within about 10 ft it will detect it and be confused about the inclined surface. I used mine to inspect my storm damage to shingles.

Reactions: Cerone
I totally agree. After 50+ flights, I have only lost RC connection 1 or 2 times, always a long way away from where I was standing. I have never flown out more than 1500 ft (too chicken), so it always stays in RC contact. FPV, that is another story.

I'm on my ~20th flight... Took it out to 6000 feet yesterday, lost signal briefly, and got it back as the drone came back.

Gotta be confident in your RTH! Have fun!

Set a home point 20m away to be on the safe side lol

I know that is what I would of done so atleast when it does go up when RTH initiates you can see it go up and cancel RTH

My 2 bits...fly in safe (beginner) mode.
Take your sweet time...
Have a safe flight as around home is the location we hear about most crashes.

Is it not possible for you to walk around your property and thereby keep
LOS with the phantom...?

If you are only 20 meters away there is almost no way you will lose signal. Unless your house is coated with aluminum or the walls are made of stone... And even then I would doubt it would happen.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4