Safe to update firmware?

Reaction score
Hey Team,
So i have been putting off updating my P3 Adv. due to the bad reputation of the firmware upgrades.
My question is, is it now safe to update?
Is anyone still having any issues with their devices after updating?

This info would come in handy. If its still bad, ill put it off as i have a shoot this weekend.

Thanks.

It has always been safe to update. The very few that have problems are few and far between. The likelihood of knowing if and when your bird is going to have issue is slim to none. So might as well drive forward and enjoy, rather than lag behind out of imagined and exaggerated fear.

If you have a job this weekend and your P3 is working fine already, I would suggest waiting until after the job to make any changes. This is true any time. Even though most have no issues, you just never know what may be introduced if you change something that works. Once the job is done and you have time, make the changes you think are good based on your research.

Reactions: JoBe and Fplvert
If you have a job this weekend and your P3 is working fine already, I would suggest waiting until after the job to make any changes. This is true any time. Even though most have no issues, you just never know what may be introduced if you change something that works. Once the job is done and you have time, make the changes you think are good based on your research.

Definitely agree. Good advice. Ill wait until after. Thanks.

Reactions: Fplvert
image.jpeg

Do not update yet!
Still some sketchy issues, I have updated and have had some of the common issues that people are speaking about.
I fly my P3P very cautiously

Gives a fairly good step by step on how to update the firmware.

Please note I followed this and ran into a issue updating the controller, but found a solution.

Where it failed for me:

Trying to update the controller via the usb/ssd card reader method.

Result:

Red light and no tones after 60 sec to indicate any sort of update. (Did get some intermittent beeping a good 3+ minutes later, but obviously not related to updating as light still red.) Was scared to turn it off, but did so anyway as it wasn’t going anywhere. Controller and phantom still paired up and could fire the engines, just no video at all via the app.

Checked the ssd to see if a update log had been generated for the controller and nothing.

I stupidly deleted and reinstalled the app after this to try and fix it, but then had a even worse issue of being unable to enter camera mode at all.

Solution:

Check the back of the RC and see if you have the following model: GL300B (Remote controllers whose model type is GL300B can only be updated on your app.)

Now if like me you also deleted the app and re-downloaded it in the hope this would sort the issue, you will now need to do the following to get back into the part of the app that lets you do a update:

1. Make sure the RC is off.
2. Make sure your phone / tablet is hooked up to the controller via the supplied cable + you are in the DJI go app.
3. Press and hold these four buttons on the remote controller at the same time, C1, C2, Recording and the Scroll that adjusts ISO. (see link for picture if your not sure)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1252&bih=827&q=phantom+3+rc+reset+picture&tbm=isch&tbs=simg:CAQSJglR9yI3w6PjWBoSCxCwjKcIGgAMCxCOrv4IGgAMIf9OUTQoQ-ED&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizw4mx7avJAhUCeg8KHdTUB34Qwg4IHSgA

4. Turn the controller on (Don’t release the buttons till you see a prompt within the app allowing you to link the controller / app)
5. You should then be able to connect to camera and hit update within the settings.
6. If it’s worked you should now have the proper intermittent update beep as shown in the youtube video.

This took me about 2 hour of digging around online to find a fix and I was seriously getting peed off at how backwards it is.

The official video on the DJI site is just as bad at neglecting to mention these issues.

Hope this helps anyone else that has the same trouble.

Last edited:

Please note I followed this and ran into a issue updating the controller, but found a solution.

Background:

Where it failed for me:

Trying to update the controller via the usb/ssd card reader method. Result: Red light and no tones after 60 sec to indicate any sort of update. (Did get some intermittent beeping a good 3+ minutes later, but obviously not related to updating as light still red.) Was scared to turn it off, but did so anyway as it wasn’t going anywhere. Controller and phantom still paired up and could fire the engines, just no video at all via the app.

Checked the ssd to see if a update log had been generated for the controller and nothing.

I stupidly deleted and reinstalled the app after this to try and fix it, but then had a even worse issue of being unable to enter camera mode at all.

Solution: Check the back of the RC and see if you have the following model: GL300B (Remote controllers whose model type is GL300B can only be updated on your app.)

Now if like me you also deleted the app and re-downloaded it in the hope this would sort the issue, you will now need to do the following to get back into the part of the app that lets you do a update:

2. Make sure your phone / tablet is hooked up to the controller via the supplied cable + you are in the DJI go app.
3. Press and hold these four buttons on the remote controller at the same time, C1, C2, Recording and the Scroll that adjusts ISO. (see link for picture if your not sure)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1252&bih=827&q=phantom+3+rc+reset+picture&tbm=isch&tbs=simg:CAQSJglR9yI3w6PjWBoSCxCwjKcIGgAMCxCOrv4IGgAMIf9OUTQoQ-ED&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizw4mx7avJAhUCeg8KHdTUB34Qwg4IHSgA

4. Turn the controller on (Don’t release the buttons till you see a prompt within the app allowing you to link the controller / app)
5. You should then be able to connect to camera and hit update within the settings.
6. If it’s worked you should now have the proper intermittent update beep as shown in the youtube video.

This took me about 2 hour of digging around online to find a fix and I was seriously getting peed off at how backwards it is.

The official video on the DJI site is just as bad at neglecting to mention these issues.

The initial problem is that the video was produced far before updating with the app came around. I think it was 1.3.2 that changed everything.

The initial problem is that the video was produced far before updating with the app came around. I think it was 1.3.2 that changed everything.

Understandable, I just hope what I've posted helps anyone else that get stuck at the final stage of updating the controller, nothing worse than having a quad that can go over 2000 meters and having no way to do fpv flights.

The reset process is a good find. But its not solving everyones issues. The new FW should help most though.

Sorry to hear that.

What's the new FW? (I'm assuming you mean firmware, now that I think about it.)

: )

Last edited:

Where it failed for me:

Trying to update the controller via the usb/ssd card reader method.

Result:

Red light and no tones after 60 sec to indicate any sort of update. (Did get some intermittent beeping a good 3+ minutes later, but obviously not related to updating as light still red.) Was scared to turn it off, but did so anyway as it wasn’t going anywhere. Controller and phantom still paired up and could fire the engines, just no video at all via the app.

Solution:

Check the back of the RC and see if you have the following model: GL300B (Remote controllers whose model type is GL300B can only be updated on your app.)

Thanks for posting that. I have posted the steps multiple times before, but never had the picture. The picture will help a lot.

No probs, Ill probably be lurking more on these forums in future, just getting into new phantom 3 advanced and loving it so far.

Huge step up from my previous mjx 101.

Though Ill admit I still like micros for messing around indoors.

Reactions: Oso
Streve, are you saying I cannot update my controller through the USB port anymore? I'm currently at at 1.2.6 on my controller and the USB port update process is what I have always used. I would typically use the same .bin file for the craft and and controller. Has that process changed?

I have RTFM (attached) for 1.4 controller FW installation, which I assume is the same for 1.5, however it's a clear as mud. I'll search for more detail in this forum.

Attachments

• Firmware_Update_Guide_en_v1.4.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 627
Last edited:
Streve, are you saying I cannot update my controller through the USB port anymore? I'm currently at at 1.2.6 on my controller and the USB port update process is what I have always used. I would typically use the same .bin file for the craft and and controller. Has that process changed?

I have RTFM (attached) for 1.4 controller FW installation, which I assume is the same for 1.5, however it's a clear as mud. I'll search for more detail in this forum.
You can update with the USB-- in fact-- when my app upgraded, it would not upgrade the controller direct and I had to do it thru the USB-- I have a 300A controller.

You can update with the USB-- in fact-- when my app upgraded, it would not upgrade the controller direct and I had to do it thru the USB-- I have a 300A controller.
Thank you bobmyers, that helps. That method is my preferred method, it's easy and quick. I RTFM to install 1.4 but it was totally useless, very unclear directions. I sure wish they had an native US born technical person creating instructions for these upgrades, something that makes sense in the US.

Reactions: bobmyers
Turns out I have the same 300A controller, bought it July 2. I may be updating all my FW/APP SW later this month. I don't have any critical shoots coming up so I'll have some time. Thanks again.

It appears that updating the RC via USB versus GO app has nothing to do with the RC version GL300A versus newer RC models. The attached instructions were found in the Wiki, it says when you get to a certain level RC firmware that all future updates will only be possible by updating through the Go App. That's a little confusing, after many of us have updated a few times using the "traditional method" through the USB port, then all of sudden that changes. This hasn't been talked about much.

Attachments

• How to Update Phantom Firmware.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 533
It appears that updating the RC via USB versus GO app has nothing to do with the RC version GL300A versus newer RC models. The attached instructions were found in the Wiki, it says when you get to a certain level RC firmware that all future updates will only be possible by updating through the Go App. That's a little confusing, after many of us have updated a few times using the "traditional method" through the USB port, then all of sudden that changes. This hasn't been talked about much.
When I went form 1.1.9 direct to 1.3.2 I had to use the USB port-- since then no -- it has upgraded thru the app just fine. But I believe that those that were on 1.1.9 with 300B transmitters were able to upgrade thru the app... It is all very confusing, caused by multiple upgrades since May, but I think it may be smoothing out some. The issue becomes when the upgrade fails to perform or creates other issues and folks want to go backward to the old version. The danger to that scenario is that you have to keep all those upgrade files or you may box yourself in when a good FW upgrade is rolled out.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl