Safe to fly with missing screw?

Reaction score
I took the cover off my P2V+ today to install the shielded compass. While I had the cover off, I re-routed the GPS cable to be more under the shielding than before.

Low and behold, after I re-assembled the bloody thing, I am missing one of the (12) 2mm hex screws that hold the cover on.
My son and I have scoured the floor and workbench for the last 2 hours with the lights out and with flashlights. No luck.

And, of course, the spare screws that came with the quad are all phillips head and don't fit the threads.

My son and I were really looking forward to flying today, as the weather has been pretty crappy here lately.

Can we fly?

(I have a new set of screws coming.)

Definately.

Missing screw discovered...
Where you might say?

Inside the right front motor.

Thankfully, when I went to put on the props, I heard a "clicking" noise from the right front motor as it spun. Strange, because when I shook the quad (looking for the screw) I heard nothing. Neither did my 18 year old son, whose hearing is admittedly better than mine. So, I re-dis-assembled the quad cover. Using an old pill bottle for holding the screws this time. Safely got the screw out. Re-assembled the quad, and my son and I spend a lively 45 minutes or so flying the quad. I really need more batteries besides the 2 I have. But at $120 a pop.....

On another topic, how many times can the props hit the grass and / or gravel before you should replace them? I landed in some pretty deep grass. Shane, while trying to land on the landing pad, managed to hit the gravel and flip the quad.
Flew fine after that, so no harm done, I guess....

3 at the most

You can fly without one but have you tried hunting the missing one with a magnet? Just slowly drag the magnet around on the rug.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20