Safe response to police officer who says to stop flying

Common sense is the key. Ignoring a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) is just stupid and will more than likely cause you grief. :eek: Be polite and comply with instructions. If you feel the LEO is rude or is wrong, politely ask for his business card. You can generally make complaints against an officer on-line or go in person to interal affairs. This is something most all of us in the US are required to carry and give out when requested per SOP. If the cop is really cool, get his business card and give him/her kudos to his boss. Cops are P2V flyers and RC folks as well. :cool: Ordered my P2V 2 days ago.

Pull_Up said:
Well that avatar's worth a hearty "hello and welcome" all on its own! :D

Thank you! I have been researching this wonderful forum for the last 3 weeks straight gobbling up info from all of the wonderful posts. Thank you Pull Up for all of your posts which have helped me tremousdly in making my decision for a P2V. :D

My advice for what it's worth. In Australia if a police officer gives a lawful directive then you must comply or potentially be arrested. Weather they know you are breaking the law or not. All they have to do is say they told you to stop in the interest of public safety. So do as they ask. The may know something you don't like there was a fatal accident in the next street and don't want you filming it for example.

Pull_Up said:
I'm not completely au fait with all things American, but don't you guys have many TV stations who have their own helicopters that like to scramble in order to show live footage of police chases for example? Presumably waiting for a nice juicy accident, or innocent bystander getting run over, or a good zoomed in shot of the alleged suspect getting roughed up a bit (although innocent until proven guilty, right)...

Don't get me wrong, I think the pilot here was morally if not legally wrong doing what he did, but isn't it a touch hypocritical for the media to be up in arms given what they do with aerial video (not to mention print media's use of paparazzi long-lens shots, etc)?

Yes, many large-city American TV news stations have helicopters for news coverage. Especially if OJ Simpson lives in their coverage area. And yes, the news often tends to feature anything at least slightly shocking ("If it bleeds, it leads.")

Not sure if that is entirely unique to US news coverage (they may feel compelled to keep up with the Daily Mail), but I agree completely with your point about the hypocrisy... the reason I posted the article to begin with.

UrbanLegend777 said:
Not sure if that is entirely unique to US news coverage (they may feel compelled to keep up with the Daily Mail)...

If the Daily Mail had a helicopter I think it would probably be a magnet for every laser pointer-wielding, air rifle shooting, anti-aircraft missile toting upstanding citizen... ;) But yes, elements of our press are as distasteful as everyone else's - luckily we haven't got to the "we interrupt our coverage to go live" helicopter views of car chases stage as yet. Mind you, stop giving them ideas that they could do it way cheaper with a "drone"... :shock:

HELICOP said:
Common sense is the key. Ignoring a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) is just stupid and will more than likely cause you grief. :eek: Be polite and comply with instructions. If you feel the LEO is rude or is wrong, politely ask for his business card. You can generally make complaints against an officer on-line or go in person to interal affairs. This is something most all of us in the US are required to carry and give out when requested per SOP. If the cop is really cool, get his business card and give him/her kudos to his boss. Cops are P2V flyers and RC folks as well. :cool: Ordered my P2V 2 days ago.
Love the avatar, Welcome to the throng, Spin off your props & stay a spell, Good to finally have an LEO's perspective & P2V'er on the forum.

iDrone :D

Thank you for all of the welcome messages. And yes, I am a flying pig. I don't plan on crashing my P2V though Pull Up. :shock: Being a commerical helicopter pilot I'm sure I possess the skills necessary of all great drone/rc flyers and will fly amonst the Gods on my very first attempt...I also have some water front property in Arizona for sale. Any Takers? :idea:

HELICOP said:
Thank you for all of the welcome messages. And yes, I am a flying pig. I don't plan on crashing my P2V though Pull Up. :shock: Being a commerical helicopter pilot I'm sure I possess the skills necessary of all great drone/rc flyers and will fly amonst the Gods on my very first attempt...I also have some water front property in Arizona for sale. Any Takers? :idea:

Any takers??? Pffffft... When pigs fly!!! :shock:

jwuman said:
if anyone wants to pull a stunt like this, get permission first from law enforcement as a basic common sense courtesy,,,,,

here is what i know:

1. the hartford journalist was not acting in official capacity as ajournalist with a phantom. thats why his employer is not happy since potentially they would bear some liability if it crashed,,,they do malfunction....and he stated he works for the tv station whether on the clock or not, they become involved,,,,,
[Not intended to be legal advice]

The station would bear no liability. The doctrine of "respondeat superior" would not apply at all. What an employee does on his or her own time does not implicate liability on the part of the employer.

jwuman said:
2. the other tv journalist's were not flying a camera creating a DISRACTION TO EMERGENCY SERVICES AS THIS GUY WAS.....
He was 150 feet in the air, not buzzing the scene at low altitude. Even if someone found it "distracting," that is not legally actionable. "Interference" is, and he was not interfering.

jwuman said:
3. He didnt use any common sense when he failed to request permission to fly over or near the incident which would have at least been a common courtesty to the incident commander, who would have likely had no problem since they would have known prior who is operating it and why, and he may have directed him to fly from a certain distance and location...
No one need ever request permission to do something that is perfectly legal. That's not how the law works. He could have given a "heads up" I suppose if he felt like it, but he had absolutely no obligation to do so.

jwuman said:
( I will bet that the Branford,CT FD guy didnt just willy nilly fly over the fire scene without permission last week, and if he did, he would have gotten the same treatment from law enforcement....)
I am the Branford, CT FD guy. (I'm involved in both of these incidents.) I was requested to do the flyover. I was not requested to walk within 100 yards of the fire because there was a 1-mile evacuation zone in place. But I did so anyway without formal permission. So, technically they ought to go after me too, but they didn't.

jwuman said:
4. It attracted negative publicity for the DJI Phantom and all who use it responsibly. ITS NOT A DRONE "PEOPLE NEED TO STOP CALLING THESE THING DRONES" this is a stigma that also projects the perception you have a spy camera....note the word perception.
It attracted publicity (in my mind) about the issue of the First Amendment right everyone has to photograph anything in public view from a public place. As for being called "drones," it's unfortunate but that's the moniker that will forever be used. No way to undo that now. The media has already latched onto the word.

jwuman said:
5. there was a dead body covered partially with a blanket, it was partially ejected from the car which was visible for all to see including ground journalists with zoom camera's..... so what? the issue is not comparable, the DISTRACTION it caused because he failed to use common sense and lacked the forethought that the curiousity factor was about to bite him from police, who, not knowing whom, why or from where this RC HELO was being piloted have the duty to investigate and which are all valid concerns at an active scene or investigation,,,its just plain stupid and irresponsible no matter how you cut it,...
Again, I see no "distraction" at all, unless you're considering "curiosity" to be synonymous with "distraction." I see no duty to investigate an r/c aircraft flying overhead. What is there to investigate? I fly mine all the time. Police have seen me fly it from time to time. Never have they seen a need to "investigate."

jwuman said:
It would be a really different story if he lost control and it crashed into someone or something creating another incident,,,there is a personal injury attorney on every corner in hartford waiting for that client to walk thru the door...
That would be the case without regard to the accident scene. If he were to have crashed at anytime he flew anywhere he'd face the same possibility of lawsuit.

jwuman said:
i quarantee this WILL NOT help the hobby........Perception , theres that word again,,hmm?

as far as decency: there is no decency in journalism, this isnt about journalism, its about common sense,,,,some people have zero......
You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I welcome opposing views. (it would be boring if we are agreed on everything)
But I suppose we will have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

Peter Sachs
dronelawjournal.com

petersachs said:
jwuman said:
if anyone wants to pull a stunt like this, get permission first from law enforcement as a basic common sense courtesy,,,,,

here is what i know:

1. the hartford journalist was not acting in official capacity as ajournalist with a phantom. thats why his employer is not happy since potentially they would bear some liability if it crashed,,,they do malfunction....and he stated he works for the tv station whether on the clock or not, they become involved,,,,,
[Not intended to be legal advice]

The station would bear no liability. The doctrine of "respondeat superior" would not apply at all. What an employee does on his or her own time does not implicate liability on the part of the employer.

jwuman said:
2. the other tv journalist's were not flying a camera creating a DISRACTION TO EMERGENCY SERVICES AS THIS GUY WAS.....
He was 150 feet in the air, not buzzing the scene at low altitude. Even if someone found it "distracting," that is not legally actionable. "Interference" is, and he was not interfering.

jwuman said:
3. He didnt use any common sense when he failed to request permission to fly over or near the incident which would have at least been a common courtesty to the incident commander, who would have likely had no problem since they would have known prior who is operating it and why, and he may have directed him to fly from a certain distance and location...
No one need ever request permission to do something that is perfectly legal. That's not how the law works. He could have given a "heads up" I suppose if he felt like it, but he had absolutely no obligation to do so.

jwuman said:
( I will bet that the Branford,CT FD guy didnt just willy nilly fly over the fire scene without permission last week, and if he did, he would have gotten the same treatment from law enforcement....)
I am the Branford, CT FD guy. (I'm involved in both of these incidents.) I was requested to do the flyover. I was not requested to walk within 100 yards of the fire because there was a 1-mile evacuation zone in place. But I did so anyway without formal permission. So, technically they ought to go after me too, but they didn't.

jwuman said:
4. It attracted negative publicity for the DJI Phantom and all who use it responsibly. ITS NOT A DRONE "PEOPLE NEED TO STOP CALLING THESE THING DRONES" this is a stigma that also projects the perception you have a spy camera....note the word perception.
It attracted publicity (in my mind) about the issue of the First Amendment right everyone has to photograph anything in public view from a public place. As for being called "drones," it's unfortunate but that's the moniker that will forever be used. No way to undo that now. The media has already latched onto the word.

jwuman said:
5. there was a dead body covered partially with a blanket, it was partially ejected from the car which was visible for all to see including ground journalists with zoom camera's..... so what? the issue is not comparable, the DISTRACTION it caused because he failed to use common sense and lacked the forethought that the curiousity factor was about to bite him from police, who, not knowing whom, why or from where this RC HELO was being piloted have the duty to investigate and which are all valid concerns at an active scene or investigation,,,its just plain stupid and irresponsible no matter how you cut it,...
Again, I see no "distraction" at all, unless you're considering "curiosity" to be synonymous with "distraction." I see no duty to investigate an r/c aircraft flying overhead. What is there to investigate? I fly mine all the time. Police have seen me fly it from time to time. Never have they seen a need to "investigate."

jwuman said:
It would be a really different story if he lost control and it crashed into someone or something creating another incident,,,there is a personal injury attorney on every corner in hartford waiting for that client to walk thru the door...
That would be the case without regard to the accident scene. If he were to have crashed at anytime he flew anywhere he'd face the same possibility of lawsuit.

jwuman said:
i quarantee this WILL NOT help the hobby........Perception , theres that word again,,hmm?

as far as decency: there is no decency in journalism, this isnt about journalism, its about common sense,,,,some people have zero......
You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I welcome opposing views. (it would be boring if we are agreed on everything)
But I suppose we will have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

Peter Sachs
dronelawjournal.com

Nice write up Peter. I would have to 100% agree with everything you said. He did absolutely nothing legally wrong. Some may not agree with what he was doing and some may feel it was morally wrong but that doesn't mean he was doing anything ILLEGAL. I was going to voice my opinion earlier...but I honestly didn't feel like getting into another online pissing match.

That being said...I really wish there was some sort of case law that I could print up and take with me to educate a LEO (of course I would cooperate and be polite) just in case he attempted to tell me to stop flying. So far though the ones I ran into were just nice guys who were curious about it.

Scottrod said:
I really wish there was some sort of case law that I could print up and take with me to educate a LEO (of course I would cooperate and be polite) just in case he attempted to tell me to stop flying. So far though the ones I ran into were just nice guys who were curious about it.
Stay tuned. There will be soon. :)

I work with police nearly every day. With very limited exceptions, they have always treated me very professionally and courteously. Bear in mind that police generally encounter people when those people are at their worst. It's been said here already, but if police and citizens treat each other with respect and courtesy there are generally no problems. But that does not mean one need ever pre-inform the police that they are about to do something that is perfectly legal.

petersachs said:
Stay tuned. There will be soon. :)

I work with police nearly every day. With very limited exceptions, they have always treated me very professionally and courteously. Bear in mind that police generally encounter people when those people are at their worst. It's been said here already, but if police and citizens treat each other with respect and courtesy there are generally no problems. But that does not mean one need ever pre-inform the police that they are about to do something that is perfectly legal.

I agree. No reason to ask for permission to do something legal. A good example is that I had a friend with a neighbor who didn't like the loud exhaust on his motorcycle (He didn't ride late and wasn't obnoxious). While the neighbor was welcome to have that opinion, the exhaust was DOT approved and the bike was inspected. There was nothing illegal about it. Then again this crazy neighbor would call the cops if a kids ball went in their yard. Lol.

petersachs said:

I've just visited your website. Very informative. Kudos. I think everybody here should read what you have to say.

(However, the URL you used in the above link is incorrect ... unless the drones are drowning people :))

GneeChee said:
petersachs said:

I've just visited your website. Very informative. Kudos. I think everybody here should read what you have to say.

(However, the URL you used in the above link is incorrect ... unless the drones are drowning people :))
Oops! Thanks for your kind words and for pointing out that error.
I fixed it in my original post, but I can't change it in any of the replies to it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik