Safe flight range

Reaction score
Hi, About to hook up an iOSD Mini I purchased with my FPV setup on my new Phantom 2. I am looking all over, but can't find the safe distances and height to fly and remain in range of the radio...Right now I am flying visually and am not sure how far I can safely go (within LOS, of course) and not lose radio connection. Also when I get the OSD what Voltages will I be watching for before I need to bring it home. Right now I use a timer and after 16 minutes keep flying it back to see how many lights are on the intelligent battery. I did try and find this info on my own, but couldn't seem to locate it.
Thanks,
Steve

pianoflyer said:
Hi, About to hook up an iOSD Mini I purchased with my FPV setup on my new Phantom 2. I am looking all over, but can't find the safe distances and height to fly and remain in range of the radio...Right now I am flying visually and am not sure how far I can safely go (within LOS, of course) and not lose radio connection. Also when I get the OSD what Voltages will I be watching for before I need to bring it home. Right now I use a timer and after 16 minutes keep flying it back to see how many lights are on the intelligent battery. I did try and find this info on my own, but couldn't seem to locate it.
Thanks,
Steve

The 2.4Ghz control has a stated maximum range of 1000 m. Your mileage (meterage :) ) may vary, depending on the environment you are flying in and how well your RC battery is charged.

As above, no hard and fast rules on safe distance as there are too many variables.

Re the iosd, when you hook it up you will see a percentage life on the display, not fully reliable but a pretty good guide.

Steve,

1km is very safe range with stock radio and receiver. I've been routinely beyond 2km, and as far as 4km on stock receiver with Futaba 14SG (which is likely no better than stock radio for range). If your FPV gear is matched well, installed well, and operated well, you should have clear video within the radio range. But many seem to fall short of FPV clarity, for various reasons.

Regarding turn-around point: if you are doing an out-and-back, I would turn around at about 60% left, if no wind. If significant wind, I would push it to 50% if bird is upwind of home, but use 70% if bird is downwind of home. I generally prefer putting money in the bank by flying upwind, if I am not on a target-specific mission. With experience you can match that to battery voltages. When voltage gets in the 10.7v range, depending on battery and firmware, you may be at risk of RTH/GoHome/Autoland, depending on your settings. Not a good time to be over water, trees, buildings, etc., so flight plan accordingly.

You will love iOSD flight deck. Every bit of data there is useful at one time or another, so understand how they all work. Flying without one is unimaginable to those of us that use them.

Kelly

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers