Safe distance to fly above water?

Reaction score
Hi,

Wanting to film a nearby lake with my P3S. If I want to do a shot skimming over the water towards shore what would be considered a "safe height" to keep it out of the drink while still maintaining the feeling of speeding towards the shore?

Thanks,
Randall

I was at 19-20ft for the opening sequence in this short video (my first with the P3S) and to be honest, I got nervous the further out it went. I wouldn't want to go any lower.

I would think the ultrasonic sensor would help keep it out of the drink but I'd be scared if it were 100ft over the water. Or land. I'm always paranoid lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Wanting to film a nearby lake with my P3S. If I want to do a shot skimming over the water towards shore what would be considered a "safe height" to keep it out of the drink while still maintaining the feeling of speeding towards the shore?

Thanks,
Randall
It's all relative to your skill level. Remember over water turbulence is diff then land. Infra red stabilization will probably not be available either.

@Rgamby I've done 4ft to 5ft over the top of water not full speed but with the VPS turned off. For some reason with it turned off I get a smoother flight over a surface...

I would think the ultrasonic sensor would help keep it out of the drink but I'd be scared if it were 100ft over the water. Or land. I'm always paranoid lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. I have a P3 standard. Don't think it has a ultrasonic sensor. Knowing it's a standard does that affect your response?

Thanks,
Randall

The considerations are your level of skill and reaction, the wave and wind height and other objects that may share the space like boats and jet skis etc. Also a key factor is the speed at which you are flying. Reaction time iOS important as well as you crafts ability to maintain proper altitude. Do go completely by the onscreen display. It can be off that close to the ground or water level. You need to be in full view and control at all time or bring a bathing suit with you.

Good news, video complete, no flying submarine. Lowest was about 8 ft. above the lake on one run and it flew straight with no issues ...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj