Safe distance from Power Lines/

What is a safe distance to be from power lines to avoid navigational disturbance ?
It's impossible to give a simple answer because the strength of the electromagnetic field depends on the current carried by the wires.
But it's probably a lot closer than you imagine.
Here's something to help:
i-dv3qGTV-XL.jpg

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Thanks On one video I saw, 5 ft. closer can make a big difference but the distances were no discussed.

....the Phantom series birds must have a built-in EMF meter circuitry similar to a smart-phone's ? (numerous phones have this capability) that powers on when you pre-prep to fly ? This would aid on pre flight at the chosen spot to fly....but not in a situation where faults/flaws in the power transmission lines generate arcing (or micro-arcing), which can emit EMF out to appx 2 kilometers. Also, high voltage power lines going to industrial facilities may be buried (invisible to a flier, unless the flier walks a rough transect one plans to fly, with their EMF smart-phone app recording).

I plan (when I make a P4P purchase in spring) to buffer (by 0.5 kilometers) all the streets (in my GIS software) I plan on flying near before each "mission". The assumption is: ....if there is a street, there is probably a power transmission line running along or (under) beside it...Also, I can usually find a GIS coverage of all the transmission lines (in shapefile format) and cell towers (as a shapefile) in my flight AOI to incorporate into pre-flight planning software. I can generate a buffer for all those layers, too, easily and quickly before setting out (I'd make my buffers one of my primary flight sight selection criteria; that working in conjunction with the Phantom's built-in geofencing capability)...etc, etc...

On edit: .....MY preference would be to fly no closer than ~250 meters (x,y,z) from 400 kV lines...but that's me; your mileage may vary, so do your own due diligence anywhere you fly.

Last edited:
Thanks On one video I saw, 5 ft. closer can make a big difference but the distances were no discussed.
If you are looking at domestic powerlines that bring power to your house, the probably are quite safe at very small distances but big high voltage cross country lines are a different matter.
I had to fly along some recently and at this distance there was no discernable effect:
i-fCm7SWD-XL.png

I plan (when I make a P4P purchase in spring) to buffer (by 0.5 kilometers) all the streets (in my GIS software) I plan on flying near before each "mission".
You're over-thinking this.
The suburban powerlines have no electromagnetic effect that would be a risk to your Phantom at safe flying distances (say 10 feet or so)>

You're over-thinking this.

....on this front, it is no bother; I already have a good fairly up-to-date cell tower and high voltage transmission lines dataset(s) in my North American GIS coverage, so buffering those is a several minute endeavor. Once they are buffered, they'll be part of my flight planning permanently (automated, so to speak).

suburban powerlines have no electromagnetic effect that would be a risk to your Phantom at safe flying distances (say 10 feet or so)

...what worries me, are the transformer canisters potential EMF on domestic street lines...I'd just as soon stay away from these, too. But I agree with you: 10 (or better, 15 feet) is a good minimum distance to shoot for...this is quite easy for me to implement (but your average flier would def. find this a tedious chore LOL! )

I launch from a spot all the time about 200' from huge 450kv lines that come from Hoover dam, no problems. However I know you will have issues flying below these type high tension lines, GPS signal will be impaired. Flying 100' above them has never caused any problem.

Reactions: Chesapeake
I would stay as far away as I could from them.

I launch from a spot all the time about 200' from huge 450kv lines that come from Hoover dam, no problems. However I know you will have issues flying below these type high tension lines, GPS signal will be impaired. Flying 100.' above them has never caused any problem.
Interesting, I would have thought the magnetic field would cause disturbances from all around, including from above.

Hello, my desk is 50 centimeters from power lines 400 V, 50 KW of power, and i wonder in what manner does affect me ?

Hello, my desk is 50 centimeters from power lines 400 V, 50 KW of power, and i wonder in what manner does affect me ?
I'm thinking you mean 400V 50 Hz, in which case you should be fine. You must be sitting next to a powerline (?) or are you next to a switchboard?

Hello folks, I am new here and was curious as to what a safe distance would be for a P3S and 82kv lines.. I know its best to avoid ALL lines but they are everywhere where I live.. These are going right over my house and I'm sure the EMF is probably covering a 60 foot radius guesstimating

Hello folks, I am new here and was curious as to what a safe distance would be for a P3S and 82kv lines.. I know its best to avoid ALL lines but they are everywhere where I live.. These are going right over my house and I'm sure the EMF is probably covering a 60 foot radius guesstimating
From memory my P3S would start to receive a number of warnings within 10 mtrs of a 13.2kV line that I would fly near. Try 20 mtrs and see how that works, my later Phantoms with lightbridge are no where near as prone to inteference as the wifi based platforms.

From memory my P3S would start to receive a number of warnings within 10 mtrs of a 13.2kV line that I would fly near. Try 20 mtrs and see how that works, my later Phantoms with lightbridge are no where near as prone to inteference as the wifi based platforms.

Thanks for the reply, this is my first drone but I hope to move onto a higher end model at some point.. It hasn't had its maiden flight yet but I cannot wait :)

Thanks for the reply, this is my first drone but I hope to move onto a higher end model at some point.. It hasn't had its maiden flight yet but I cannot wait :)
Take it easy, read the manual until your eyes bleed and set off in beginners mode until you get the hang of it. Unfortunately being wifi based, there are the occasional challenges but the PS3 is a great drone to fly and streets ahead of anything at its price point.
Enjoy!

I've flown under some high tension power lines without a problem but I was careful to remain as far below them as possible. I'd argue that getting close to a cell tower is worse given the frequency range is pretty close and the cell towers can put out a lot more signal. Anything that looks like an antennae is off limits in my book.

Brian

Anything that looks like an antennae is off limits in my book.

Agree... flying close to towers, antennas, and power transmission lines lines are all verboten for me - better safe than sorry.

And as for domestic power lines, I stay away from those too - my depth perception "ain't what she used to be"

Agree... flying close to towers, antennas, and power transmission lines lines are all verboten for me - better safe than sorry.

And as for domestic power lines, I stay away from those too - my depth perception "ain't what she used to be"

Yeah, power lines can be near impossible to see on the FPV screen and if you can't see them with your mark 1 eyeballs you could be in deep trouble. Check this video to see how close I came to eating it...

Now you could say that was not a good day, but the fact I was able to get the bird back without further issues makes it a very good day...

Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20