Sad that my flying days are over Monday

to busy looking up plus as car pulls up kinda just stick it behind you my closet neighbors know that's its me but some others around don't have a clue

All I know is hobbyist fall under rule 101 not 107. And 101 does not restrict nearly as much as the 107 rule. vLOS is still there, but hobby rules ALLOW night flying. And nowhere on any FAA site does it even mention this FPV rumor going around that goggle racing and flying is over unless you get a 107

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

All I know is hobbyist fall under rule 101 not 107. And 101 does not restrict nearly as much as the 107 rule. vLOS is still there, but hobby rules ALLOW night flying. And nowhere on any FAA site does it even mention this FPV rumor going around that goggle racing and flying is over unless you get a 107

Use of FPV goggles eliminates your ability to see the aircraft at all; which by definition means that you do not have VLOS. That applies to both Part 101 AND 107 operations.

However, under Part 107, you have two possibilities:

1. You can apply for a waiver to this requirement under Part 107.
2. You can use a Visual Observer who watches the aircraft while you fly under FPV.

FAA Interpretation that specifically prohibits FPV goggles for hobby flights (Part 101): https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf

By definition, a model aircraft must be “flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft.” P.L. 112-95, section 336(c)(2).1 Based on the plain language of the statute, the FAA interprets this requirement to mean that: (1) the aircraft must be visible at all times to the operator; (2) that the operator must use his or her own natural vision (which includes vision corrected by standard eyeglasses or contact lenses) to observe the aircraft; and (3) people other than the operator may not be used in lieu of the operator for maintaining visual line of sight. Under the criteria above, visual line of sight would mean that the operator has an unobstructed view of the model aircraft. To ensure that the operator has the best view of the aircraft, the statutory requirement would preclude the use of vision-enhancing devices, such as binoculars, night vision goggles, powered vision magnifying devices, and goggles designed to provide a “first-person view” from the model.2 Such devices would limit the operator’s field of view thereby reducing his or her ability to see-and-avoid other aircraft in the area.

Waivers to Part 107 rules: Beyond the Basics

Waivers to Certain Small UAS Operating Rules
The small UAS rule (14 CFR part 107) includes the option to apply for a certificate of waiver, which allows for a small UAS operation to deviate from certain operating rules if the FAA finds that the proposed operation can be performed safely.

• Waivable sections of part 107
  • Operation from a moving vehicle or aircraft (§ 107.25)*
  • Daylight operation (§ 107.29)
  • Visual line of sight aircraft operation (§ 107.31)*
  • Visual observer (§ 107.33)
  • Operation of multiple small unmanned aircraft systems (§ 107.35)
  • Yielding the right of way (§ 107.37(a))
  • Operation over people (§ 107.39)
  • Operation in certain airspace (§ 107.41)
  • Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft (§ 107.51)

107.31 says:

§107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.

Not everyone is happy about it.....

Academy of Model Aeronautics - AMA's Response to the FAA Interpretive Rule

2. Do you enjoy flying First Person View?
Even operating under AMA’s guidelines and using a spotter, FPV flight using goggles is prohibited. This is despite that it could be argued that a spotter provides enhanced awareness of the airspace because a spotter scans the airspace while a pilot with visual line of site on the model is focused on the model. AMA also sees this an unprecedented attempt to prohibit one specific technology opening the door to threats to other modeling technologies that the FAA may not like.

...but as of now, that's how it stands.

Last edited:
My concern is that the FAA can access our flight logs online at places like the DJI website. They'll have a record of pilots flying over populated areas and longer distances in violation of the rules.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
No doubt the US based DJI would hapily honour a production order from the FAA. I cant see it being good for business to give carte blanche access to the whole user database for compliance investigation/assesment purposes.

Do you know anything specific concerning this? Particularily with regard to DJI volunteering/providing free access by authorities to user data? Speculation is not helpful in these circumstances.

Part 107 applies to COMMERCIAL usage, not hobby usage.

If you are flying as a hobby, you fall under Part 101, not Part 107.

Part 101 applies to:

(5) Any model aircraft that meets the conditions specified in §101.41. For purposes of this part, a model aircraft is an unmanned aircraft that is:

(i) Capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;

(ii) Flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and

(iii) Flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

Your restrictions:

(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(which basically means the AMA's safety rules as of now: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf)

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.

NOTE:

The AMA Safety Code does NOT mandate daytime-only flying!

"RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination​
systems are inadequate for night flying operations."

It does require that you avoid overflying unprotected people, vessels, or structures:

"All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures and shall avoid endangerment of life and property of others."​

I can confirm this...

However we need to keep an eye on the FAA, and I think it's time a lot of us start commenting and calling them and letting them know our thoughts. Not enough people have actually done this.

I've also been eating carrots, its helped a lot, apparently I can see 10 miles now. Guy asked me while I was flying and I said yup, See it's right out there, little white phantom, FAA number #######, he was like man I can't see it, bro you need glasses. Get your eyes checked.

Hey how about this, they say it's UNAIDED VLOS, I guess us nearsighted guys who wear glasses have to keep it within 50 feet now huh?

I can confirm this...

However we need to keep an eye on the FAA, and I think it's time a lot of us start commenting and calling them and letting them know our thoughts. Not enough people have actually done this.

I've also been eating carrots, its helped a lot, apparently I can see 10 miles now. Guy asked me while I was flying and I said yup, See it's right out there, little white phantom, FAA number #######, he was like man I can't see it, bro you need glasses. Get your eyes checked.

Hey how about this, they say it's UNAIDED VLOS, I guess us nearsighted guys who wear glasses have to keep it within 50 feet now huh?
No.....

Unaided vision as defined specifically excludes spectacles and contact lenses (vision correction).

Reactions: Falcon900

You may want to check again, the "unaided" VLOS does allow for corrective lenses:

§107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight.​

The FAA has had a lot of publicity, not all of it good, over sUASs and will likely continue to get more. IMHO, there are going to be some people very surprised at how aggressively the FAA is going to enforce the rules, and how well they are going to track down offenders. I have no sympathy for those that do get caught, just anger at the negative image that they are going to help perpetuate with the media and public

The FAA has had a lot of publicity, not all of it good, over sUASs and will likely continue to get more. IMHO, there are going to be some people very surprised at how aggressively the FAA is going to enforce the rules, and how well they are going to track down offenders. I have no sympathy for those that do get caught, just anger at the negative image that they are going to help perpetuate with the media and public

You may feel differently when it's you that's being investigated/prosecuted for something you allegedly did. Remember - not all reports are accurate - especially from members of the public that think you're spying on their kids. Some reports are completely fabricated. You - and others - should try to remember that people are innocent until proven guilty.

Many of the FAA guidelines are important and should be enforced. Others are less important and one might even question why they exist. For example, interfering with a manned flight, flying over a first fire, within 5km of an airport, over a large crowd or in any federal no-fly-zone are amongst the most serious violations possible and those are the ones that make the headlines that give us all a bad name.

On the flip side, briefly flying over a person/people who have agreed to it and know they are being filmed. Flying at night. Exceeding the height restrictions (briefly) to capture that perfect shot or even flying beyond VLOS when over a desert, ocean or lake are comparatively minor offenses and some of them shouldn't be forebears at all. Anyone being persecuted for one of these minor offences - when there has been no complaint and no incident will definitely have my sympathy - especially if they came to the notice of the authorities by harvesting social media.

You have no sympathy, just anger - for anyone that gets caught?

Did I read that wrong? You don't care what people do as long as they don't get caught? And the second someone's "caught", they're automatically guilty? Seems unreasonably harsh.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Falcon900
Part 107 applies to COMMERCIAL usage, not hobby usage.

If you are flying as a hobby, you fall under Part 101, not Part 107.

Part 101 applies to:

(5) Any model aircraft that meets the conditions specified in §101.41. For purposes of this part, a model aircraft is an unmanned aircraft that is:

(i) Capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;

(ii) Flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and

(iii) Flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

Your restrictions:

(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(which basically means the AMA's safety rules as of now: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf)

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.

NOTE:

The AMA Safety Code does NOT mandate daytime-only flying!

"RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination​
systems are inadequate for night flying operations."

It does require that you avoid overflying unprotected people, vessels, or structures:

"All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures and shall avoid endangerment of life and property of others."​
I can confirm this...

Can't fly over people, cars, most buildings

Can't fly at night

Can't fly out of your sight

Flying over people and at night are waiverable. You can fly over cars. And you can fly over buildings.

OP, as stated, your confusing commercial flight and hobby flight. Go charge up your batteries and fly! Then show us your awesome night shots!

For the record, the FAA has quit with their YT viewing......

Reactions: Michael Sepesy
The average person don't just track the FAA rules and regulations about drones. Probably 99% don't even care. If you run a business utilizing a drone, you can bet your competitor will turn you in if you are not licensed to fly. Simple as that. Even though it is best to be liscened, especially if you fly commercially, I think part 107 is just another way for the government to make $$$! I read an article somewhere, that the FAA stands to make $82 Billion and create like 100,000 jobs over the next 10 years towards the U.S. Economy. So they say it is. Is that is really all it is.

For the hobbyist, I think it's crap. I fly mine for both reasons.

By their definition, I fly mine commercially. For the most part, I do crop inspections for farmer's. I am not around airports or anything of any concern. Question is; am I really a commercial pilot?

Night flying is fun and offers some pretty cool photography and video effects. As long as you know your surroundings. Just be above the tree tops and powerlines. I love flying at night!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers