S2 switch on the way out?

Reaction score
I've been flying my Phantom for a couple of months, getting some awesome footage and things have been going well, i.e. no crashes or odd behavior and no replacements required. Still on my original props even. Firmware is up-to-date and Assistant isn't popping anything unusual - all clear. My copter is 100% original, apart from a Gimbal guard and a Getterback on its skid.

That said, I've been running into an issue.

When I fly, I tend to generate a new Home Lock on the fly and this has been working well for me since my first flight. However, the past week or so, I need to go through the flicking up and down of the S2 switch procedure more than 10 separate times before the LED lights blink repeatedly and the new Home Lock is actually set. Even when I fly my copter a decent distance away from the current Home Lock, it still won't set a new Home Lock, even after 10+ separate tries. It's now a very hit-or-miss thing.

Setting Course Lock works as consistently as ever, no issues there whatsoever; a few flicks of the switch and the green LED lights start blinking. Course Lock itself also works great. I calibrate the compass every new location and the LEDs do the right thing on this manoeuvre too, no problems here either.

By the way, I've been getting this Home Lock not setting issue in various locations, in 3 different countries. Home Lock does set itself upon engaging the motors, but it just won't set a new Home Lock with the S2 switch.

Any idea what causes this Home Lock reluctance? Could the S2 switch be worn out? It still sounds and feels crisp.

I lost my 1st P2V due to a faulty S1 switch. While in GPS mode, if you barely touched the switch it would advance into ATTI mode but still appear as if it was in the GPS mode. I found this problem after binding that controller to my 1st vPlus. Replacing the switch was nothing, but it still was the reason for an expensive loss.

How'd you lose it from putting it in ATTI mode Frank ??

Good one, happydays. Hooked it up to the Assistant's switches section and you can clearly see there's a loose connection there. Flicking it down, it will connect for a millisecond only. Put some pressure on the switch and the connection is back.

Ergo: loose switch.

Cheers.

singapore_phantom said:
Good one, happydays. Hooked it up to the Assistant's switches section and you can clearly see there's a loose connection there. Flicking it down, it will connect for a millisecond only. Put some pressure on the switch and the connection is back.

Ergo: loose switch.

Cheers.

Great to hear that you now know what it is. At least you can take action now. Happy flying!

justin00 said:
How'd you lose it from putting it in ATTI mode Frank ??

That's actually a good question. Assuming it was in ATTI mode, you should have been able to fly it back. Unless it was beyond your line of sight and out of Video range.

singapore_phantom said:
I've been flying my Phantom for a couple of months, ....(snip) Home Lock does set itself upon engaging the motors, but it just won't set a new Home Lock with the S2 switch.
Any idea what causes this Home Lock reluctance? Could the S2 switch be worn out? It still sounds and feels crisp.

S1 and S2 switch failure is not a new problem but a very serious one: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26266

I always use the software to initiate compass calibration instead of flipping the switch 8-10 times.....

Anyone actually know where to purchase a new IOC switch ? Mine is not staying in Home lock!
Course lock is fine but having checked in Phantom Assistant YEP Home is iffy.
Works if I hold it down with pressure but need to change it.
Thanks

I don't. But I like to.

To make sure I have HL, I force one just after take off, whether I already have one or not. That way, I can be sure I have HL, which, typically, will be higher than an auto-generated one. Other times, I may walk around a bit, so then I want to update my HL.

Prefer generating a new HL, rather than use DHL.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31