S1 what have you set?

Reaction score
Just wondering what people have set for the programmable position on switch S1?

Failsafe at first thought, seems like the sensible thing, so you don't have a nasty mishap what you get control back. But I think this assumes you have a degree of control, so why not use home or course lock TT o bring it back?

Manual, although not the easiest way to fly, does give you direct control in the event of a GPS or gyro issue (aka fly away) so for me, that is my current option, and RTH is left to switching the transmitter off.

Just wondering what others have set and why.

Mike.

I have my S1 set to RTH in bottom cause that's just the way I like it .
If I had mine in manual there it would most likely hit the ground anyway .
I do usually use HL to get it back but never have liked cutting the TX off for RTH .
Just me ;)

I have mine setup with FAILSAFE instead of MANUAL. When I'm flying and sometimes lose orientation I'll switch to HL and bring it back some so as to regain orientation then continue flying. I've completely shut off the transmitter at least twice now to be absolutely certain in case I've ever lost signal it would RTH.

First time to go through the entire routine on it's own. Second time to turn TX back on and regain control during RTH. Then twice by switching on S1 to FAILSAFE then interrupting it by going into ATTI to regain control. Finally, switching S1 again and allowing it to perform the entire routine. It is nerve wracking to do but, I've always felt since it was incorporated as a safety measure in the first place, why not be certain it does what it's supposed to do and have peace of mind that it does work.

Kitari, does the Phantom invert if you let it nose dive, because of the weight distribution? I keep S1 in FS so I can RTH without shutting the transmitter off. Also, if you understand how CL works, you can use it to return home.

I have my bottom switch set for manual because I fly in manual quite often, and it's also a fun way to drop altitude fast if you ever need to by letting it nosedive.
Did a fast drop from altitude the other day and just didn't care for it ! ;)

Reactions: Hughie and kitari
I think if you never tried manual you shouldn't set it up. You'll probally crash.
I know for sure I would , no doubt.

Reactions: dirkclod
Kitari, does the Phantom invert if you let it nose dive, because of the weight distribution? I keep S1 in FS so I can RTH without shutting the transmitter off. Also, if you understand how CL works, you can use it to return home.

Nope, you just do a half flip and keep the throttle at half stick or give it a little throttle if you want and it'll come down very fast. I usually do it when I'm up really high and need to come down faster than holding down on the left stick will let me. If it's clear out tomorrow I might even give a demo of the nose dive if you want. Yes it's a little risky if you're not sure about what you're doing, but it's fun if you're a risk taker like I am.

Manual
Call me what ya want I never with ether of my phantoms tried RTH and never will unless it kicks in on its own . ;)

Nope, you just do a half flip and keep the throttle at half stick or give it a little throttle if you want and it'll come down very fast. I usually do it when I'm up really high and need to come down faster than holding down on the left stick will let me. If it's clear out tomorrow I might even give a demo of the nose dive if you want. Yes it's a little risky if you're not sure about what you're doing, but it's fun if you're a risk taker like I am.
kenivil.png
kitari =
evil.jpg

Dirkclod in manual =
me.png

Reactions: kitari and 750r
LOL
Well if I recall GPS did not help ya few days back :p

When I read this about Manual Mode it sounds the same as the fears once associated by some with Naza Mode.

Switching to manual from a hover is just like switching to Atti. until you make a move then is coasts.
A little opposite input and it slows. Get worried switch back to Atti., GPS, whatever.

Because the Phantoms are a wee bit heavy for the propulsion system it drops when switching but that is easily arrested with a bit of throttle. A proper design would have a hover, or at least something like 'neutral buoyancy', at 50% regardless of mode.

Respect it but don't fear it.

When I read this about Manual Mode it sounds the same as the fears once associated by some with Naza Mode.

Switching to manual from a hover is just like switching to Atti. until you make a move then is coasts.
A little opposite input and it slows. Get worried switch back to Atti., GPS, whatever.

Because the Phantoms are a wee bit heavy for the propulsion system it drops when switching but that is easily arrested with a bit of throttle. A proper design would have a hover, or at least something like 'neutral buoyancy', at 50% regardless of mode.

Respect it but don't fear it.

I purchased a used +v2 without a gimbal/camera to learn how to fly in manual. My first attempt started at about 30 feet, switched to manual and added throttle, but then kinda froze as the Phantom took a very rapid 30 degree dive towards the grass. I came to my senses just in time to switch to GPS and add some throttle and **** if it didn't come to a hover about two feet from the ground! Actually, it was very cool how it recovered from impending doom! Definitely got my heart rate up...

Winds aloft?
Mine has never moved in such a manner without stick input.

No No17RW, it was definitely stick input! I was just caught unawares but now I know better. Someone mentioned that it's like the controls on a plane - to bank your drop a wing and re-center the stick/yoke, and add some throttle to maintain altitude. I had, and held some right stick but responded just in time!

I can say this, that I won't consider myself a competent flyer until I can fly safely in manual...just my approach to flying...

No No17RW, it was definitely stick input! I was just caught unawares but now I know better. Someone mentioned that it's like the controls on a plane - to bank your drop a wing and re-center the stick/yoke, and add some throttle to maintain altitude. I had, and held some right stick but responded just in time!

I can say this, that I won't consider myself a competent flyer until I can fly safely in manual...just my approach to flying...

It's not for everyone!

Truthfully, I have more fun flying courses, like between and around tree trunks in ATTI, than I do getting videos. For me it's about the flying skills, mostly...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl