S1 & S2 Question... I'm New

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to program the 3-way toggle switches. I just purchased a Phantom 2 Vision. I want to make S1 activate fail-safe mode without having to completely turn off the remote. Do they come pre-programmed from DJI already? If so, what do they do by default?

Also, I want to be able to recover the craft during fail-safe mode once its returned close to home. How can I do this?

Also, what is this this Naza Mode I keep hearing about?

Any good tutorial videos would be appreciated.

Thank You!

As a new pilot, suggest you give a look-see to http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8768.

Specifically regards your question, this is from the second post there:

Most of the configuration work is done in the Vision Assistant. When you use it, have everything on just as if you were going to fly ... Controller, Repeater, Smartphone/Tablet - so you can see that all is working as expected.

To activate the NAZA mode connect your Vision to the Vision Assistant. In the upper right hand there's a button that toggles between Vision mode and NAZAM mode. Click it to go to NAZA. You will be able to verify the controller signals the Vision as expected. For S1 in NAZA mode, the top position is GPS, the mid position is ATTI, and the bottom position can be either RTH or Manual, your choice depending on set up in the Assistant. NAZA mode also activates the IOC function of S2 ... top position is OFF, mid position is Course Lock, and bottom position is Home Lock.

As a new pilot o suggest you leave it as standard and deliberately turn it off having confirmed home lock at take off to confirm it works as expected. I guarantee you will have issues with ATTi , most likely by inadvertently enabling...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Seahorse said:
As a new pilot o suggest you leave it as standard and deliberately turn it off having confirmed home lock at take off to confirm it works as expected. I guarantee you will have issues with ATTi , most likely by inadvertently enabling...

What is ATTi and how can I avoid putting it in that mode inadvertently?

davebaum1 said:
Seahorse said:

What is ATTi and how can I avoid putting it in that mode inadvertently?

See my initial post. There are answers there, and there is a learning curve. You have to invest some effort to get a good result.

FlyingFox said:
http://youtu.be/YyMIwvmcnDE

Probably the best video explanation I came across, he does have grubby fingers :)

You're right. I found that video yesterday and it is very informative. If I put my controller in Naza mode but leave S1 at the top position, will it still fly normal like it does in Phantom Vision mode? From what I gathered, the only time Naza mode becomes difficult is if you toggle S1 to the Manual position. Is this correct, or am I totally missing something?

I want to be able to manually put my Phantom in fail-safe mode and then recover it before it actually lands by itself. The way it is now, my "S" switches don't do anything at all except calibrate the compass. I can toggle them both during flight and nothing happens.

FlyingFox said:

This may be correct for the early Phantom, but is not for the P2V.

Regards the S2 coverage: In HL pushing the right stick down brings the Phantom back to the home point, not necessarily "to you" (true only if you're at the homepoint). The CL mode graphic is a bit misleading. It is like a box (actually a grid) but you don't have to be at the corner. Unless you reset CL in flight, the directions of the grid you're flying are based on the directional fix the Phantom gets in pre-flight. If the "nose" is facing north when it gets it's fix, pressing right stick up will always send the craft north, down will send it south, left will send it west, and right will send it east - regardless of which way it's facing. In the example used the Phantom will only follow the runner if it's preflight forward fix is the same direction as the runner will be running.

Regards S1: The default for the P2V is top=GPS, mid=nothing, bottom=nothing. AFTER you set it to NAZA mode the functions are top=GPS, mid=ATTI, and bottom can be either RTH or Manual (you choose between RTH & Manual in setup with the Vision Assistant).

As you find "help" you need to take careful note of which Phantom the "instructor" is talking about. When the first Phantom came out, there was no "2" nor "Vision" ... so early tips won't differentiate. "1" and "2" are not the same.

For better info on IOC, see http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6163, especially the third "page" of posts.

Visioneer said:
FlyingFox said:

This may be correct for the early Phantom, but is not for the P2V.

Regards the S2 coverage: In HL pushing the right stick down brings the Phantom back to the home point, not necessarily "to you" (true only if you're at the homepoint). The CL mode graphic is a bit misleading. It is like a box (actually a grid) but you don't have to be at the corner. Unless you reset CL in flight, the directions of the grid you're flying are based on the directional fix the Phantom gets in pre-flight. If the "nose" is facing north when it gets it's fix, pressing right stick up will always send the craft north, down will send it south, left will send it west, and right will send it east - regardless of which way it's facing. In the example used the Phantom will only follow the runner if it's preflight forward fix is the same direction as the runner will be running.

Regards S1: The default for the P2V is top=GPS, mid=nothing, bottom=nothing. AFTER you set it to NAZA mode the functions are top=GPS, mid=ATTI, and bottom can be either RTH or Manual (you choose between RTH & Manual in setup with the Vision Assistant).

As you find "help" you need to take careful note of which Phantom the "instructor" is talking about. When the first Phantom came out, there was no "2" nor "Vision" ... so early tips won't differentiate. "1" and "2" are not the same.

For better info on IOC, see http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6163, especially the third "page" of posts.

Those are some great tips, as well as the links you provided. I feel 100% better about the "true" controls of the PV2 in Naza mode. For a minute, I thought I was losing my mind. I consider myself to be a sharp person and can typically catch-on to technical things very quickly. I was having the hardest time finding good instructions, specifically for the P2V, regarding the IOC controls. I read where others were also having the same problem. I didn't realize that the instructions differed from P1, to P2, to P2V. That explains why my friend's instructions he provided me with (he has a P2) weren't adding up.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4