RX100 instead

Reaction score
Using a Sony RX100 instead of a gopro produces nice video in whatever mode. Only thing that jumps the video is wind when the phantom abruptly changes attitude.
I bought a hero 3, spent a fair amount of time testing the various capture settings and even purchased a program called Prodrenalin by ProDAd which deFisheyes the video, reduces the rolling shutter and stabilizes the video. Does a pretty good job too that is unless the camera pans. If GoPro video is shot straight on and the bits where the phantom is turning are cut out and using 1080P 60fps it produces acceptable results with any of those isolation mounts on ebay. The one sold by Infinity hobbly worked. BUT for the main video cam it's not a natural look. Someone said that He felt he had to swim through gopro video and maybe that's why I'm determined to use something else other than fisheyes to capture video from the phantom
I currently use an RX100 (250 grams) and a HD video transmitter EP WD 3207 with short Hdmi cable (70g) and a bit of a fabricated rt angle plastic bracket and attach the cam with elastic bands.
Doesn't need any jello mount and Here's a few pix of the mount
DSC02029.jpg

DSC02030.jpg

DSC02031.jpg

DSC02032.jpg

DSC02034.jpg

Phantom didn't seem to struggle and was not warmed up at the end of a battery
No way to add to the weight of a gimbal however.
Anyone else going down this road?

I am also looking at flying my Sony hx20v with the phantom. I tried it with a hard mount and it made terrible jello, but I will try again with a suspension mount I have spare. I think that the gains on the controls will need adjusting, I have changed most of my gains from 100% to 125% and the phantom flies more strongly, so it could manage the extra weight, but I think a Sony HX series plus a gimbal might be too heavy. Like your photos, is that a video boom with the phantom stuck on the end?

You noticed that eh.
Three or more possible answers
1 - Its a sure fire means of not letting the phantom fly-away (notice the heavy duty clasps) and lets you manually fly the phantom around all around at the end of the boom.
2 - It's a catapult to launch the phantom into near-orbit thus saving battery till it's needed for re-entry
or 3 - an experimental setup for an interesting shot using the cam under the phantom for a low curving accent then removing the crane from the senario and crossfading or morphing to the same spot in space with the phantom actually doing the flying and continuing the accent. Should be a nice shot. Also mounting and unmounting the camera isn't necessary thus allowing the use of 1 camera in a scene rather than matching two cams. (all still a work in progress - must get out and try it tomorrow Weather here on the East coast been poor lately

Your camera weighs less probably than the rx100
Is the stabilization set to the ACTIVE mode?
Shouldn't need any fancy mounts
I've got uite a collection of things to hanng the camera off the phantom and non work nearly as well as a bit of plastic screwed directly to the phantom (hand the cam so it is dead centre under the phantom and try to keep the cam tucked up under the belly of the craft so as not to create air disturbances in the prop wash

Have you got any footage of it in flight? I cant see how your mount will work very well as it is still a rolling shutter cmos sensor camera so prone to jello just like every other camera using the same sensor and shutter type. The rubber bands would surely allow it to bounce around too in aggressive flight and vibrations will be passed directly from the frame to the camera via the plastic mount. Id love to be proved wrong but even with inbuilt stabilization its going to struggle with the high frequency vibrations that cause jello.

Shot this for a friend who owns the land and put the realtor's sign in for contact purposeses. No money involved. strictly experimental on my part attempting to get high angle footage. I'm still very timid with the phantom and have no confidence in my piloting skills.
Very first semi-usable footage from the rx100 under the phantom and a bit holding the phantom and shooting like a glidecam
No vibration mount, no post processing either than editing
Shot 1080p 60fps and dropped inot a 30fps timeline
http://youtu.be/Br1BN2nPoc0

halfpipe said:
took the rx100 off the phantom and reinstalled the hero3Black
Just a tad heavy :|
sry, but I feel happy for that :) Since I bought a black3 and I wanted x100 in the first place.

I put the RX100 back under the Phantom and I'm pushing 1400 grams and loving it.
Camera needs to be slung exactly in the centre and it flies fine
Hi! Do you remember the gain settings changes for this payload? Thanks and regards

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31