Rutgers bans UAV.

Here's the article below. From my understanding, local law has no authorities over FAA and if so, how are they able to ban it if the airspace is regulated by the FAA? Just looking for clarification.

Rutgers bans drones on campus

Thanks!

The 'rule' says nothing about airspace, it says property.
So you cannot takeoff, operate from, or land on University property (terra firma).

This is not with out precedent. Many places have similar restrictions.

Yep my local college tried to pull the same nonsense. Said I couldn't fly over there stadium when I asked for permission to take a few snaps I said oh ok. Went across the street to McDonald's and launched from there.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Did I miss it? No mention of privacy concerns.

The university athletic department I spoke with was upset about a wedding party sneaking into the stadium and taking aerial photos without permission. As a result they deny any and all flights inside the stadium..

The person I spoke with said there was no official university policy, but protection of student privacy was going to be paramount when the policy is formulated.

So I fly outside the (empty) stadium. Personally I think they are worried about damage to their million dollar video boards.

I understand the medivac issues.

Last edited:
I have no reasons to fly on rutgers campus but curious when a friend brought this up to me and wanted to get a better understanding.

Thanks all!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj