Runway numbering and landing help!

Reaction score
I am a little confused on general runway labeling.
I understand runways are named after the magnetic bearing they are facing.
For example runway 36 is facing north and runway 18 is facing south.

This is the part I am confused:
Where is the actual number painted on the runway? For runway 36 would it be painted on the top or bottom of runway? My local small airport has runways 7/25.
The left end pointing west has the number 07 painted on it and the right end facing east has the number 25 painted on it, shouldn't it be the opposite?
I also heard that aircraft always land into the "number".
If there is a radio call that says an aircraft is left midfield downwind for runway 13, does that mean he is landing into the painted numbers on the runway or are the numbers on the opposite end of his landing?

I confused [emoji52][emoji854]

Reactions: Donatas
The number is at the beginning or the approach end of the runway and right side up when approaching.

Downwind leg is the direction opposite of the landing direction.

Yep, you're flying and landing towards the where the compass needle points in the cockpit. Some had those old round dials floating in oil where the number would show in a small window, e.g. A 27 would mean you are pointing at 270 degrees and same as runaway you were heading towards.

Reactions: AyeYo
If there is a radio call that says an aircraft is left midfield downwind for runway 13, does that mean he is landing into the painted numbers on the runway or are the numbers on the opposite end of his landing?

No one seems to have directly addressed this question.

If he's left midfield downwind on runway 13, then he's in the pattern (not currently landing) headed opposite of landing direction ("downwind" - opposite of 130*), with the runway on his left, and currently half-ish way down parallel to runway 13 ("midfield").

I am a little confused on general runway labeling.
I understand runways are named after the magnetic bearing they are facing.
For example runway 36 is facing north and runway 18 is facing south.

This is the part I am confused:
Where is the actual number painted on the runway? For runway 36 would it be painted on the top or bottom of runway? My local small airport has runways 7/25.
The left end pointing west has the number 07 painted on it and the right end facing east has the number 25 painted on it, shouldn't it be the opposite?
I also heard that aircraft always land into the "number".

Generally all circuits are left hand after take off unless ATC gives you a different instruction. At non ATC airfields the circuit direction is normally depicted on the ground using symbols.
When you are downwind, you are flying downwind from the take off runway.

Aircraft, for performance purposes, almost always take off into wind but tailwinds are allowable per the manufactures flight manual limitations. Take off from a runway when a cross wind is blowing is also part of flying so these wind velocities are also quoted in the AFM (airplane flight manual).

Tailwind landings are also allowed up to a maximum, which is also quoted in the AFM.

Wind speeds are quoted in knots or metres per second, in other countries around the world,

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys!.... I am taking the part 107 test this Friday [emoji51]

Not surprised you asked this question. I ask literally the exact same question because it's never specifically answered in the FAA study material. It's implied, but never made sense to me until someone else explained it and then it all came together.

Thanks guys!.... I am taking the part 107 test this Friday [emoji51]
Read this. All pilots flying full size craft are required to know this and much more. It's called the AIM - Airman's Information Manual. It's a basic primer to learn when beginning to get your pilots license. Good stuff for anyone and it's fun, too. When you get your mind wrapped around this 800 pages, let me know and I can send the FAA links to much more required reading for pilots that fly full size aircraft. https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/aim.pdf

Not surprised you asked this question. I ask literally the exact same question because it's never specifically answered in the FAA study material. It's implied, but never made sense to me until someone else explained it and then it all came together.
Everything in flying is specifically answered in one or another FAA publication. Read the following link. All pilots flying full size craft are required to know this and much more. It's called the AIM - Airman's Information Manual. It's a basic primer to learn, when beginning to get your pilots license. Good stuff for anyone and it's fun, too. When you get your mind wrapped around this 800 pages, let me know and I can send the FAA links to much more required reading for pilots that fly full size aircraft. https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/aim.pdf

Everything in flying is specifically answered in one or another FAA publication. Read the following link. All pilots flying full size craft are required to know this and much more. It's called the AIM - Airman's Information Manual. It's a basic primer to learn, when beginning to get your pilots license. Good stuff for anyone and it's fun, too. When you get your mind wrapped around this 800 pages, let me know and I can send the FAA links to much more required reading for pilots that fly full size aircraft. https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/aim.pdf

There is even a couple of drawings showing this along with upwind, downwind, crosswind etc.

You should be able to google Airman's Information Manual and get the whole book on line. Now just find where it is in book. Should be easy. Every UAV flyer should know certain sections of this book although a lot of it is not applicable to UAV flying such as instrument flying data and maintenence requirements,

Reactions: Crack The Sky
There is even a couple of drawings showing this along with upwind, downwind, crosswind etc.

You should be able to google Airman's Information Manual and get the whole book on line. Now just find where it is in book. Should be easy. Every UAV flyer should know certain sections of this book although a lot of it is not applicable to UAV flying such as instrument flying data and maintenence requirements,
You are correct. I was in a hurry when I posted, sUAS folks would do well to learn probably 200 pages out of the 800. Just ski[p through the sections that do not pertain to you. And I was not kidding; it is fun learning about flight. Also, I just located the entire AIM on The Apps Store - Free download. Far cry from the old days when we had to buy an arm full of books. Google should get you there too, if you want it on the notebook or desktop.

Well I took the test today and passed with a 93%. Yay!

GREAT JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another one made the ranks!!! Now, just remember that this is only a 2 year certification, and apparently there are a lot of changes to the questions. Might want to watch the RemotePilot 101 videos.. And stay up to date on the ever changing questions.. LOL... Great lob again.. Every month I get on and watch and still learning something new.. Jeez!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj