Rules in France

Reaction score
Hi all, does anybody know what the rules are regarding using my Vision in France? I intend to offer photos of houses almost all rural but I wanted to double check that it was not against the law to use a drone in France. I know there are forum members based in France but I can't work out how to contact a member directly. I have emailed admin but had no reply. If anyone can help me answer either or both of the above I would appreciate it.

Andy

Andy Parkin said:
Hi all, does anybody know what the rules are regarding using my Vision in France? I intend to offer photos of houses almost all rural but I wanted to double check that it was not against the law to use a drone in France. I know there are forum members based in France but I can't work out how to contact a member directly. I have emailed admin but had no reply. If anyone can help me answer either or both of the above I would appreciate it.

Andy

Am unsure of regulations in france but must obviously be some ..... see http://www.thelocal.fr/20140214/french-drone-flyer-faces-public-endangerment-charges

basically I run with ....

Dont fly above people or property without permission.
Dont go near airports, flight paths or any areial operation zones
Dont fly above 400 feet (unless your a million miles away from anything, and even then still be very cautious or contact local civil aviation people and advise them of your flights or intentions)

Andy Parkin said:

Andy

Hello,
I'm french, and don't worry.
Just don't fly over cities, airport and jails ^^.
Max altitude is 492 feet.

Thank you guys, I thought I had better find out as I want to offer house pics to people over in N France as a small business so want to make sure I know that I actually CAN fly here. I know that having something in your pocket to show the old bill when they ask is always a good idea!!

Andy

Andy Parkin said:
Thank you guys, I thought I had better find out as I want to offer house pics to people over in N France as a small business so want to make sure I know that I actually CAN fly here. I know that having something in your pocket to show the old bill when they ask is always a good idea!!

Andy

:shock: well if they do turn up, .... Im sure you'll be given a quick lesson on the french drone laws that apply

Yes, whatever you do, DON'T capture the beauty of a small city in the middle of France because the local tourist board will get embarrassed and have you arrested!

ianwood said:
Yes, whatever you do, DON'T capture the beauty of a small city in the middle of France because the local tourist board will get embarrassed and have you arrested!

Desperately true :lol:

Whoaa there! Unless of course you want to end up the wrong side of a court case!

Regulations DO exist in France; especially with regard to commercial use.

The DGAC regs are here http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000025860151&dateTexte=20140214

And in English here: http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/document137398

For commercial use, you'll need to pass a ULM pilot theory exam (40 multi-choice questions from a choice of 600, and they've just been changed).

You'll also need your UAV and its control system to be accepted as suitable. I'm still trying to find out what the situation is regarding the Phantom 2. Maybe you should ask your dealer (assuming you bought in France)?

EDIT:
I forgot to say that, of course that ULM pilot theory exam will be in French

EDIT: There he is! ^^^

If he doesn't find this thread himself then PM user Peter Evans. He lives in France, is a pro photographer and uses/will be using a P2 for doing commercial work.

From previous posts he is needing to jump through a few hoops to do things legally in France, including registering with the French equivalent of the CAA and various other matters. If you can't work out how to do PMs on the forum then his website is here: http://www.peter-evans-photographer.com/ there's a contact section.

Thanks guys, Peter, would you mind if I got in touch to pick your brains on the French thing?

I've searched and still have absolutely no clue how to pm people, admin never got back to me when I contacted them. To be honest it was pull up I was hoping to pm............you seem to know lots and probably have lots of contacts so I was wondering if you knew any in my area who might be up for offering a little guidance or advice. I'm in Reading?

Thanks again guys

Andy

If I am following this thread and the added links, if I were to bring my Phantom to France, fly for fun, on vacation, stay away from airports, jails and stay below 400ish feet, then I should be OK?
Thanks,
Eric

cvagrad86 said:
If I am following this thread and the added links, if I were to bring my Phantom to France, fly for fun, on vacation, stay away from airports, jails and stay below 400ish feet, then I should be OK?
Thanks,
Eric

This is the final paragraph from an email on the subject which I received from the French civil aviation authority with regard to flying a Class D UAS (i.e. one weighing less than 2kg gross)
"Si vous restez amateur (photos de loisir pour vous et votre famille, et sans aucun but utilitaire même à votre seul profit), vous n'avez besoin de rien tant que vous respecter les conditions de vol en aéromodélisme (pas de vol en agglomération, ou proche de rassemblements de personnes ou d'animaux, ou en espace aérien sensible).

Cordialement,

Arnaud Grut
DSAC/NO/NAV
50 rue Henry Farman
75720 Paris - France"

This translates as:
"If you remain an amateur (i.e. taking leisure photos for you and your family and with no other purpose than for your own sole benefit) you have no need to do anything other than to respect the conditions applicable to model aircraft (no flights in built-up areas, or close to gatherings of people or animals or in sensitive air space)."

NOTE:
"Close to" in the legislation itself is defined as within 30 metres.
As I recall (without searching again through forty pages) a "Gathering of people" is defined as anyone not helping you fly the model aircraft (so flying closer than 30 metres to a spotter if you're flying totally FPV is OK; flying within 30 metres of anyone else is forbidden).
"Sensitive airspace" obviously includes airfields of any description (including microlights), military and government establishments, police stations and, yes, prisons. I don't recall power stations being defined but you'd be advised to stay away from them too (almost all French power stations are nuclear and so they're very security conscious).
As to height, you have to stay below 150 metres
As to distance you (or your spotter) have to keep the aircraft in sight

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl