Rules for Flying Drones in Norway

Reaction score
The rules were formulated by the Norwegian Civil Air Authority (N-CAA), published in May 2016, and updated 16 September 2016. Here they are in English:

Regulations concerning aircraft without a pilot on board etc -

In addition, commercial pilots must take an examination, similar to the US-FAA's 14 CFR Part 107 knowledge test. The computer exam consists of multiple choice questions which have 4 choices, only one of which is correct. 75% of the candidate's answers must be correct to pass the exam. (I wonder if the FAA and N-CAA will negotiate a reciprocity agreement whereby each country will accept certifications of the other country so certified remote pilots may fly in each other's national air space?)

Hobbyists must submit an application to the N-CAA for each "undertaking" but need not be certified pilots.

Last edited:
I also hope that UAV certifications will become international rather than national, I'm doing my Irish UAV licence next month, but I hope it'll eventually be accepted in the UK (and elsewhere). Like PPLs and driving licences..

I hope to be traveling to Norway within the next 6 months. You would need to apply for permission for EACH flight? I have plans to go to northern Norway and would be thinking of flying at least once a day - possibly multiple times per day.

This seems unmanageable. Am I missing something?

I hope to be traveling to Norway within the next 6 months. You would need to apply for permission for EACH flight? I have plans to go to northern Norway and would be thinking of flying at least once a day - possibly multiple times per day.

This seems unmanageable. Am I missing something?

To Kaitlyn: "RO 1 operators must notify the CAA Norway before starting up any new undertaking. Such notification shall contain information about the undertaking's name, address and contact information, as well as information about the type of aircraft that will be used." The key word is "undertaking". Does that mean each and every flight? No, according to an FAQ section (in Norwegian), but it may mean each time you change locations. You would do well to read the regulations carefully, especially if you intend to do any commercial work.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik