Rules and Regulations for flight for Research Purposes in the UK

Reaction score
I am currently a final year student at university and I was thinking of conducting my dissertation based upon "The advantages of utilising UAVs compared to traditional methods of Surveying."

I was wondering if I was to fly my drone for research purposes would I have to abide by the rules and regulations set out for a hobbyist or would this be deemed as commercial use?

If anyone had a insight to this it would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

That's sort of grey area but I'd venture to say it's more recreational than commercial. Even though commercial doesn't always mean exchange of money I don't see how a "research" flight would benefit any business at all.

If you'd like I can contact my FAA guru and ask him on your behalf.

Thanks BigAI07.

Yea I'm not sure if it would be classed as commercial because technically I would be operating on behalf of the university.

I'm not up to speed on the differences between the FFA and the CAA but that would be brilliant if you could ask.

Cheers.

Thanks BigAI07.

Yea I'm not sure if it would be classed as commercial because technically I would be operating on behalf of the university.

I'm not up to speed on the differences between the FFA and the CAA but that would be brilliant if you could ask.

Cheers.

I've sent the request and I'll let you know what I hear back. In terms of FAA vs CAA only a representative from both can answer that but in many ways they are very similar but in some ways different LOL! See how I answered with our really answering LOL.

Safe flights!
Allen

Here is the FAA interpretation directly from our sUAS rep:
"Allen, ind of a gray area. We do have a Legal Interpretation which addresses the use of UAS in educational institutions:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/uas_regulations_policy/media/interpretation-educational-use-of-uas.pdf

If that doesn't 'fit the bill', I would do whatever you could to stay operating as a hobbyist. However, your dissertation may carry more weight if you went through the Part 107 process (pilot certification, UAS registration) and then conducted operations under that Rule."

Hope this helps in some way even though it's not CAA.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl