Rubbish video - but its a first with my new P3S

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and the later fly-away video

The "jello" I put down to the blustery wind pushing the P3S around ...

Nigel

Another Phantom owner (he has Pro) says my videos show I haven't removed transport strips ... I can only find one that did not hold anything. It had an orange tab end to it. It was along one side on bottom face ...

Are there any other transport strips ?

Nigel

Another Phantom owner (he has Pro) says my videos show I haven't removed transport strips ... I can only find one that did not hold anything. It had an orange tab end to it. It was along one side on bottom face ...

Did you remove the Styrofoam block that is between the gimbal and camera top?

Your "jello" effect isn't likely the wind and you have a very pronounced tilt showing on your videos (Styrofoam block maybe). Or, more than likely you need to do an IMU calibration.

Be sure you do that calibration when the Phantom and battery are completely cooled down and the Phantom is sitting on a perfectly level surface while IMU calibration process is underway.

Even better when the battery and bird are cooled below your outdoor flying temps prior to IMU calibration - otherwise it may take longer than you expect for the unit to warm up prior to flying.

Good luck with your new Phantom - safe flying.

Reactions: dirkclod
Did you remove the Styrofoam block that is between the gimbal and camera top?

I had no styrofoam block at all ... all I had was the clear hard plastic Gimbal lock piece.

Your "jello" effect isn't likely the wind and you have a very pronounced tilt showing on your videos (Styrofoam block maybe). Or, more than likely you need to do an IMU calibration.

The tilt has been calibrated out and IMU has been calibrated again ... (I did do this when first unboxed) and then followed up with camera calibration - which took about 5 attempts to get completed ...

Be sure you do that calibration when the Phantom and battery are completely cooled down and the Phantom is sitting on a perfectly level surface while IMU calibration process is underway.

All done

Even better when the battery and bird are cooled below your outdoor flying temps prior to IMU calibration - otherwise it may take longer than you expect for the unit to warm up prior to flying.

Good luck with your new Phantom - safe flying.

Ok ... guy in our club has advised me to remove the drop pins - I have the two factory fitted pins ... he reckons it causes 'rattle' in the gimbal / camera ... ??

Yes or no ? I note that another guy has electrical ties through his dampers ... not pins like mine.

Nigel

not pins like mine

Well it seems you have done everything mentioned - as to the pins - I have two plastic retaining type nuts/fasteners that are "kitty-corner" to each other (only two are used on the gimbal isolation grommets).

Yes some people have used the electrical ties - personal preference I suppose - at least I have heard no reason as to why those Vs the plastic fasteners are used.

If you keep getting that extreme tilt on the videos - and no restrictions on gimbal/camera movement - it doesn't hurt to do the IMU calibration more than one or twice to remove that.

Just so I can be sure ... here are photos of my P3S and the two gimbal transit items removed ...

Out of box with sticky tape and plastic lock in place :

Sticky removed

Plastic removed

No styrofoam or other I can find

Nigel

Some of us use zip ties in addition to the plastic pins for extra safety in case one of the plastic pins should somehow fall out!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

@solentlife, So all your flights, you have just the 2 pins in the gimbal isolation grommets and are not side by side?

Add to what @ROD PAINTER said, it will work with zero pins, but if you hit hard the camera will come loose. You defiantly don't want four pins that's when you see the vibration. I like the zip ties, because if you made a hard crash or one of those tiny washers fell off, the ties are going to hold it.

@OrlyP said balance the props, I would try another set of props, but its more than just that, your tilted horizon is the first problem. Its not the wind.

Look about 30 seconds in this video,
(I wonder what causes stress cracks?) :eek:

I had crosswind while flying, in Atti mode it was drifting about 12-15 mph, pulling it out to Sea North West.

I kind of like the prop guards, just flying for fun, not really trying for quality. :rolleyes:

IMU and Gimbal Calibration, then call DJI, unless somebody else it got something. ;)

Rod

Yep - the pins are diagonally placed and not side by side.

I've done all the calibrations repeatedly, and notice something. The camera even when standing on hard solid surface has a tendency to ever so slightly jerk or twitch.

The tilt has been fixed - calibration took about 5x to get it to complete.

I have to say that I am finding the manual lacking in many details. The author knows what he's saying but we don't have his internal thoughts / memories etc. to put the pieces in the gaps he leaves.

You guys are filling in this gaps and helping me tremrndously in all my posts.

Nigel

Yeah, I know I had a Phantom2, then got a Phantom3, it was like staring all over again. :eek:

"The author knows what he's saying but we don't have his internal thoughts / memories etc"
I bet the Chinese version is the same, then it was translated. :D

5X, wow, I think I have only done IMU twice, a gimbal once because the camera looked (Noisy), made it better, but nothing like yours

Rod

Added: I have my video set for the lowest sitting, but I think at 60 fps.

Solentlife, my P3S gets the jitters if I power it up with the gimbal partially obstructed (by tall grass), or if I try to power up while holding/placing it.
Make sure you put it on a flat, level surface before you power it up. See if that helps.
When mine does it, I have to land and restart the entire power up sequence, and it will work fine.

In so far as the gimbal pins, I've always stuck with the factory setup. 2 pins diagonally across from each other, just the plain rubber isolation pads on the other 2.
If you hit something hard enough to break the 2 pins, the gimbal arm is probably toast, anyway., IMHO.

There should be two and only two anti-drop pins in place. Some people use four but the manual states only 2 are required/recommended.

My guess on the first video is that you took off from the grass. When you first turned on the AC (aircraft) and the camera did it's little dance, it was partially obstructed by grass. Restart it on a surface where the camera touches NOTHING while it dances. I did the same thing when I first got mine. Figured out what I did, landed and restarted on a piece of plywood and all went well after that.

You didn't find this piece?

I flew my P3A twice before I realized this was still wedged between the white shocks under where the battery goes in.

e97437373c3f1dc9f53b830594cef60f.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

You didn't find this piece?

I flew my P3A twice before I realized this was still wedged between the white shocks under where the battery goes in.

e97437373c3f1dc9f53b830594cef60f.jpg

I certainly have nothing like that .... and you can check out these photos :

This is how it came :

Nigel

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-1_10-41-57.png
    upload_2016-11-1_10-41-57.png
    179 KB · Views: 284
Looks like it's still there.

d1d400752db4e87360139de6c7e87319.jpg

That bit of white you see behind the damper is actually the rear leg ! The angle of the photo is the key.

Honest - there is nothing there. Look at the other photos as they each give different side and angle shot - so you get to see front and back of that area ... no clip.

Nigel

It may not be there now, but is certainly there in the picture.

Like what the OP said, what you're seeing is the landing gear. It, being out of focus, is another clue that it's farther than the gimbal (which is in focus).

OP: Just try another prop or balance the current one. At least if the problem persists, that's out of the way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31