Rubber Damper Life Limit?

Reaction score
Just wondering what is a reasonable interval to wait before changing out the rubber gimbal dampers.

I assume over time with normal use (no crashes or hard landings), the rubber will eventually dry out and becomes less flexible, thereby making the camera view more jittery.
Does anyone notice a time comes where to the rubber gimbal dampers are no longer flexible enough to keep the camera stable?

When do others swap them out, if ever?

I tore one of mine, so I switched it. They still seem quite flexible even after nearly one year.

RedHotPoker

Life of those dampers is very high even if you expose them to uv light. Once a while just inspect for any cut on edges, replace such dampers immediately.

Yeah, please include them, in your future preflight check list.

RedHotPoker

I was going to remove mine just to clean them up a bit but those anti-drop pins don't seem to want to come apart without breaking them. Is there a way to get that bottom keeper off?

Just wipe them rubber vibration bumpers with a q-tip and some 99% isopropanol. They are easy to clean. No need to remove them.

No, the anti-drop pins aren't made to disassemble.

RedHotPoker

I was going to remove mine just to clean them up a bit but those anti-drop pins don't seem to want to come apart without breaking them. Is there a way to get that bottom keeper off?
Just cut them off and replace with loosely fitted cable ties.

Push the button up the shaft and leave for a minute or so, then slide off.

Just wondering what is a reasonable interval to wait before changing out the rubber gimbal dampers.

I assume over time with normal use (no crashes or hard landings), the rubber will eventually dry out and becomes less flexible, thereby making the camera view more jittery.
Does anyone notice a time comes where to the rubber gimbal dampers are no longer flexible enough to keep the camera stable?

When do others swap them out, if ever?

The originals don't last long at all. I replaced mine after about 30 miles of flying when they became weak enough to let the gimbal plate drop to the anti-drop gizmo. Needless to say, that will create major problems in the video quality. I replaced the original dampers with this kit from Amazon: Amazon.com: Tera 6Pcs Kit of Upgrade Anti Vibration Jello Gimbal Dampening Silicon Balls Nuts and Anti Drop Clips for DJI Phantom 2 and 3 Quadcopter: Toys & Games

These dampers work great and feel to be a lot better quality and a bit firmer, yet good dampers. So far all my esulting video is jello-free.

Push the washer end togather, wait for a minute or two then just pull apart. The pins are tapered making the washer clips open up enough to remove.

Or buy a bag of replacements for a couple of dollars.

I've replaced two dampers - both were torn when I put the P3 in its case a little too harshly.

The inside edge of the holes that they sit in is very sharp.
One of mine was cut through at the top.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31