RTH

Reaction score
Hi,
Purchased a P3S in the week and have been getting used to flying, just one thing bugging me - with the return to home function how reliable is it?

Can I trust that in a case of emergency when the signal drops or something happens the quad will return to where it took off

Any help is appreciated :)

The RTH function itself works very well. Keep in mind that GPS is not 100% accurate, so you should make sure there is about a 10 foot circle cleared around the area where you take off -- just in case your Phantom is a few feet off when auto landing. Also, make sure you set the RTH altitude to the proper height prior to flying in a new location or after installing new firmware.

Reactions: b_rad
Okay sweet! I've been too scared to test it and want to make sure if all else fails it works

You can control during decent (if you regain signal) to help guide it to a safe spot. I have just been using RTH to get it back in sight overhead then I take over.

Reactions: Tony Cowan
I've been too scared to test it and want to make sure if all else fails it works
If you decide to test it, make sure your Phantom is more than 20 meters away from the home point. Otherwise, it'll land at its current location when RTH is initiated.

Exactly lands too slow. When it's back in sight. I cancel the rth and land it my self. Faster and more accurate. But the rth is out standing. Trust it. It will come back. Just make sure you hear the double beep to know its coming back. Even if you don't see it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Okay sweet! I've been too scared to test it and want to make sure if all else fails it works
You should really test it so you personally know that it works. Also even though there's a very small chance of it not working, what if there was a issue with your drone having some unknown issue. It's best to find that out under a controlled test, than under a real emergency. I would test all three ways to initiate a RTH. Smart RTH via the app and also via the controller S2 switch. Then test the failsafe RTH by turning off the power switch on the RC. Of course do these test in a safe place with the drone in plain view, but at least 20m away from you.

Just make sure you hear the double beep to know its coming back. Even if you don't see it.

You don't have to hear anything. Once the connection is lost, the P3 will come back on its own. You can fly it out 2,000' and turn off the remote and the P3 will (should) return.

Last edited:
I've had my drone for a little over a month and just had my first signal loss. It went into RTH immediately and like others had mentioned once it was overhead I took control and landed it. I would say it's pretty reliable.

I use RTH so much and every time it works perfectly, just make sure you have enough space for it to land. Other than that it is very reliable and I use it to fly back if I'm far away and video is choppy

I use RTH so much and every time it works perfectly, just make sure you have enough space for it to land. Other than that it is very reliable and I use it to fly back if I'm far away and video is choppy

Also very important in setting there is an option to put a RTH altitude make sure you set this high enough to clear the tallest obstacle near you, my RTH is set at 150'

Thanks for you advise guys! I'll have a play today and see for myself ✌️

I use RTH almost every flight. I'm still a relative newbie to drone piloting (although I am an instrument-rated private pilot), and I'm still exploring my home neighborhood, which is very heavily forested (see this link). I've taken out my P3S almost every direction until RTH kicks in. That way I'm mapping the RF environment. In one direction I got 3200 feet on my stock P3S, whereas in other direction (over some close hills of almost 100') I can only get about 850 feet, even if I fly at my altitude limit, 385 feet. The RTH function provides a very good yardstick for this exercise.

Reactions: b_rad

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj