RTH

Reaction score
my phantom v1.1.1, using the dji assistant is it possible to change the height limit it flys to on rth, at the moment it's at 20 mts can I reset it to 30 mts,or else maybe increase height before switching on RTH.
got some tall trees around here.

just been out testing the RTH and a couple of times it got within 5" from take off, furthest it landed was 18", great!!!

Last edited:
I guess no one has an answer for you. I believe the 20 meter RTH altitude can not be changed. BUT...if you have enabled IOC when connected to assistant software you can changed that altitude with your S2 switch on the left of controller. As you should know when you power up the quad and let it go through the boot up process and at the end get the TWO sets of long quick green flashes , you have set Course lock and Home lock once the throtthe is advanced. The 20 meter RTH is from that spot where it took off. Not 20 meters above a hill you may fly to. If you want to increase RTH altitude, do this. Take off straight up to let's say 10 meters from the ground and hover. . Put S2 switch in middle position(course lock). Now flip the S2 switch down to HL and back to CL 5 times quickly ending up in CL. Watching the led on phantom, you should see a set of quick green flashes indicating a new home point has been set. Return S2 to top position, Now your 20 meters RTH starts at the 10 meter altitude mark for a total of 30 meter RTH. If you use rth it will not stop flying at 10 meters and fall, it will still come all the way to the ground and land .

I guess no one has an answer for you. I believe the 20 meter RTH altitude can not be changed. BUT...if you have enabled IOC when connected to assistant software you can changed that altitude with your S2 switch on the left of controller. As you should know when you power up the quad and let it go through the boot up process and at the end get the TWO sets of long quick green flashes , you have set Course lock and Home lock once the throtthe is advanced. The 20 meter RTH is from that spot where it took off. Not 20 meters above a hill you may fly to. If you want to increase RTH altitude, do this. Take off straight up to let's say 10 meters from the ground and hover. . Put S2 switch in middle position(course lock). Now flip the S2 switch down to HL and back to CL 5 times quickly ending up in CL. Watching the led on phantom, you should see a set of quick green flashes indicating a new home point has been set. Return S2 to top position, Now your 20 meters RTH starts at the 10 meter altitude mark for a total of 30 meter RTH. If you use rth it will not stop flying at 10 meters and fall, it will still come all the way to the ground and land .

Hi Monte55.
thanks for your info, I'll try that out and see how I get on, I see that the P3s are set at 30meters and thought that maybe we could do the same with the v1.1.1
cheers

The P3 has more options and are selected through the video apps. Different birds. You can reset your homepoint the way I mentioned. It's not as easy cause you have to see the led for the green flashes to see if it reset. I suggest you practice a few times doing this with the quad not to far away but more than 15 meters. To see if its working, select HL and pull back on right stick and see if quad goes to new home position. Earlier I said go straight up. That may be wrong. I don't think you can set new home point within 30 feet . That 30 feet has to be away from original homepoint, not 30 feet up. I have tested this many times and it works. I have 3 P1s and it works on all. Ya have to flip the S2 switch just right though. Do it quickly but no need to go nuts either. Fly the quad out about 50 feet, reset home point and test. You can also reset course lock in the air. It helps if you can see the rear led

Hi
yes I'm sure your correct, I have reset my home point before while the quad has been in the air, I was just testing HL out and I moved to a different place in the garden, and done what you said, S2 on HL and flicked it from CL to HL five times then off, pulled back on the right stick it then came back to my new position in the garden, I thought it was only to change the HL position I didn't realize that it would also register height as well.

thanks for your info
ray

Yes, it does both just like it does when you aquired both on the ground. That's how it knows what zero elevation is and what 20 meters above that would be for RTH. REMEMBER...The home point is for the location it was set. If you set it at the bottom of a hill and the hill being higher has a tall tree, you may still not clear a tall tree on the top of hill but would clear the same height tree at bottom of hill. I recommend that if you ever need to use RTH....once you see the quad coming back, take back control and bring it in to land.....otherwise you will be just another guy saying you had a flyaway or the quad went nuts and crashed.

Monte55 said:
The P3 has more options and are selected through the video apps. Different birds. You can reset your homepoint the way I mentioned. It's not as easy cause you have to see the led for the green flashes to see if it reset. I suggest you practice a few times doing this with the quad not to far away but more than 15 meters. To see if its working, select HL and pull back on right stick and see if quad goes to new home position. Earlier I said go straight up. That may be wrong. I don't think you can set new home point within 30 feet . That 30 feet has to be away from original homepoint, not 30 feet up. I have tested this many times and it works. I have 3 P1s and it works on all. Ya have to flip the S2 switch just right though. Do it quickly but no need to go nuts either. Fly the quad out about 50 feet, reset home point and test. You can also reset course lock in the air. It helps if you can see the rear led
I want to revise a statment I made here about resetting home point. I said you have to be at least 30 feet away from
Hp to reset it in the air. I must have been thinking of something else. You CAN be right over hp in the air and reset it. Did it yesterday a few times. Not really much reason to do it unless you want to add height to your RTH altitude.

Hi Monte55
I'm glad you said that because I kept thinking about it and as your previous post said by doing that it would not RTH but land 30+ft away, next flying day :( I was going to try going up around 90ft above HP and see what happens but now you've solved it for me Thanks a lot.:)

seems like you've got some flying weather over there, here it's been windy for ages with the very rare calm day, the official weather guy said last week that the UK has only had 8 calm days from January this year:mad:
cheers
ray

So bottom line is you can take off straight up to whatever altitude you want to add to the normal 20 meter altitude and reset it. It may be hard to see the led green flashes at that height though to confirm it took. Even flying away and testing homelock does not tell you it accepted the new RTH
height value. That's why it's important to see the led flashing. That could be a problem in bright sun etc. Good luck.

I have never used RTH yet. Most of my flying is on my property with some tall trees down the middle very close together. I may start on one side of the trees by the house and fly to the other side near the street. If on the street side and RTH happened and home point by house, I could be in trouble. I need to remember to reset home point for whatever side I am flying on. So much to think about.

well at least you think about it,some of the post I read some guys just get a Phantom and go out and fly it without even reading all the instructions.

BTW why do you have 3 P1s?, I love mine but I'll be looking at the P3A soon hopefully but keep the P1v1.1.1

well at least you think about it,some of the post I read some guys just get a Phantom and go out and fly it without even reading all the instructions.

BTW why do you have 3 P1s?, I love mine but I'll be looking at the P3A soon hopefully but keep the P1v1.1.1
Well I got the first one in April 2015 for $479. Then in Jan of this year they had dropped to $379 so I got a spare to fly. In june I got another for $299 . I know with all the new stuff out they will stop making the P1 which I think they did. So I should be set for a while. I have 1 set up for fpv...1 for video and the third is waiting for a cause. They are reliable and I'm not afraid to take them out to fly and I don't have all these **** issues with updates and the rest of the crap. I want to enjoy myself and not be afraid that mine will crash like so many of the new ones.

Hi Monte55 just been thinking about this thread and what your latest suggestion was, well I'm thinking that I only have to fly to around 15mts above HP/THE GROUND and reset the HL/CL, then that should record that as home point and add that to the default 20mts making it 35mts RTH, so at 15mts above I should be able to see the green confirmation lights, OK?

just re read your first reply and it's what you said in the first place,,sorry

Let's not confuse home lock and course lock resetting in the air. On the ground and getting CL and HL...in that order..is one thing. The diection your quad is facing at this time is very important if you want to use CL in the air and have it do what you expect. If you go up and reset HL in the air, that does not reset CL. You can reset CL in the air by facing the quad the direction you want and switch the S2 from off to middle position 5 times quickly ....the same as resetting HL. AGAIN watch for the quick green flashes responce. This is so misunderstood by many. It's a great feature but if you don't understand it, you may get into trouble. HL and CL have nothing to do with other. I suggest whenever powering up the quad and getting hl and cl...to always face north or some direction you will be facing. Now
If you select CL while flying it will make more sense to you. I'm sure many have crashed not understanding how to use
this feature properly. It's simple but can be confusing. I do not type fast so this has taken me a while. I can explain it better by phone if you should need that.

yes I do understand the difference between CL& HL I have set it while flying before and used it to see the difference but thanks for your description, I'm sure it will help many others as well, it was last week when flying I used RTH by using the switch and after watching the video I realized how close it was to the top of some of the trees so next time I'm in that area I'll reset the HL a bit above take-off to give me a bit more clearance .

thanks again
ray

Just hoping I can help some. I had so many questions at first and still have some. Trying to wade through the bs here at times doesn't make it easy. I only give info through experience. If I'm not sure, I won't post unless I state it's a
guess or I read it somewhere. So many giving info that have no clue. Many good people here. Ya just have to figure
out what info you can trust. Like the old saying goes...OPINIONS ARE LIKE A##HOLES..EVERYONE HAS ONE

out today and flying at about 150+ wearing my fat shark goggles, lipo at 11.3v so decided to try RTH again, 7 seconds it turned and headed right towards me at the same height got above me I turned the cam down to watch, but what surprised me was that as soon as it got above me it started to descend right away a little faster than the normal RHT Drop, not too fast but faster than I was expecting then when it got to 20mts it stopped for the 15 seconds and dropped as usual, never knew this action, I knew it would fly back at the same height as it was but never realised that it would start descending right away until it got to the 20 mt mark, now I know

I dont think it works this way lads and ive done some tests. It simply adds 20 mtrs too your current alt at the time when RTH is triggered. If your at 40 mtrs and it loses signal it will jump to 60mtrs and start heading back. If i ever need to hit the RTH switch cos i cant see it i first whack some alt into it, straight up then hit the RTH button, it will then climb another 20mtrs before heading home. Hope this helps

Hi Dazzer767
I'm not going to dispute what you say (others might put you/me right but) that's not what the manual says I'm sure, what I read is that if your below 20 mts it will rise up to 20 mts above TO point then turn and return home at that height, plus I've used RTH quite a few times and if I'm flying at around 25 mts and switch on RTH it just turns towards me and fly's to back to me at that height it never goes up another 20 mts ??? also when flying at 150ft it also turns and faces me and fly's back without gaining any height, just to show look at this short low res video I've just made.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20